Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Wheeler branch first trip #11205722 11/04/15 10:17 PM
C
chas1 Offline OP
Pro Angler
OP Offline
Pro Angler
C
I only caught 2 on wheeler to today ,super clear water, even after the rains.
Why are they stocking millions of walleye in a lake where almost no one catches them ,very few large mouth stocked and millions of smallmouth.
Is any catching these fish or know how ,I am at a loss.

Last edited by chas1; 11/05/15 12:09 AM.

[Linked Image]
Re: Wheeler branch first trip [Re: chas1] #11206146 11/05/15 02:09 AM
F
FWBanger Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
F
I've never caught a lot of fish out there but I have managed some nice largemouths and a few smallmouths as well as some big ol' sunfish. Most folks seem to have luck wacky worming around the island. I've never caught a walleye but I've never really targeted them out there.

Re: Wheeler branch first trip [Re: chas1] #11206283 11/05/15 03:05 AM
J
jnd59 Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
J
My son hooked one a couple of weeks ago. I caught a decent bass on a texas rig. I would like to go back and chase those bream.

I fish on a 14 ft piece of plastic.
Re: Wheeler branch first trip [Re: chas1] #11206379 11/05/15 03:42 AM
B
Brad R Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
B
I happened to be pulling in to the parking lot the day this year they dropped 365,000 walleye fingerlings in. Pretty cool.

Just a guess that many of them become yummy bass food, never make it to maturity. Rick at Angler's says walleye like live black leeches, says he can get them. They school and usually hug the bottom, so I suppose they would be catchable if one targeted them, had electronics.

On the LMBs, we had a heck of a spring out there during the spawn and post spawn, then the big rains came and it really slowed down for bank fishermen. From my canoe or kayak, I could almost always catch 10 or so LMBs though last 2 times out, I caught 5 or 6 as I recall, fishing half days.

I have only caught one small mouth but it was a beauty. It was over in shallow water by the dam.

You are correct. They haven't stocked any LMB fingerlings since 2011.

Brad

Re: Wheeler branch first trip [Re: chas1] #11206854 11/05/15 02:28 PM
C
chas1 Offline OP
Pro Angler
OP Offline
Pro Angler
C
I did like the lake, I was there with only 1 other boat

[Linked Image]
Re: Wheeler branch first trip [Re: chas1] #11207107 11/05/15 04:00 PM
B
bert Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
B
Leaches are second to night crawlers for walleye IMO, I go to Canada fishing for them regularly and we use little joe/lindy rigs for them with nightcrawlers and minnows and do well. I do use a gulp leach on a jig tipped with a minnow and get plenty of them bouncing the bottom with that rig. The biggest advantage to leaches is they are TOUGH and a live leach usually nets quite a few fish before they come off the hook.

Once the water gets sub 55 degrees they will turn on the northern fish usually spawn in water 44-48 degrees so they are active throughout the winter. I plan to hit that lake for walleye once the temps get cool enough and anyone that wants to learn how to rig for and catch them is welcome to join me. I will say this now, if it is freezing I am still going so don't sign up to meet me then wimp out because the air is cold or it is a bit breezy that is prime walleye conditions. They don't like light and you want some chop and clouds if you can get them on a daytime bite.

Another note, they are excellent table fare and you can keep 5 only 2 can be less than 16 inches. A 14 inches walleye are about a pound and will yeild up enough of a filet for a decent fish sandwich or two good tacos. If we do a group trip I will also teach how to handle them as they have some nasty gill plates and teeth as well as best cleaning techniques for them.

Bert

"Ipsa scientia potestas est"-Knowledge in itself is power - Sir Francis Bacon

"Beware the lolipop of mediocrity, one lick and you could suck forever" - unknown author
Re: Wheeler branch first trip [Re: bert] #11207225 11/05/15 04:55 PM
B
Brad R Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
B
Bert,

Count me in for most any weekend day you might choose. I actually like fishing when it's cold and I bank fished Squaw Creek last year one morning when it was 22 degrees.

Could you recommend a particular Lindy Rig? If so, I'll order a few.

We ought to get a small group of kayakers together for this to learn this skill set.

PM me any time with info and I can pass along my telephone number for contact purposes as the season and best time approaches.

Brad

Re: Wheeler branch first trip [Re: chas1] #11207322 11/05/15 05:41 PM
B
bert Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
B
Brad,

I make my little joe/lindy rigs it is much cheaper that way and easier to get the line weights and components I want. I make most of them with 8-25lb fluorocarbon line depending on the depth and water clarity I am fishing in. Also look at slow death rigs, mustad makes a hook that is bent for this rig and it is killer for fishing night crawlers in clear water as it is a much more natural presentation. I fish both and let the fish tell me what they want. One of the things that is best for these rigs is to have ball bearing swivels it makes the slow death work at greatly reduced speeds and makes it more effective and keeps the little joe/lindy rig from adding line twist if the bait is twirling when you have it down. The deeper you fish the lighter the line I usually use to allow them to stay deeper without rising up, even with fluorocarbon higher weight lines diameters will add resistance and have them rising too far off the bottom.

I would be glad to do a get together and make some before we hit the lake, all you need is patience, materials and time to tie them. For anyone that want materials I buy mine at Barlow's, I use indiana and french blades as they turn easier than colorado blades so you can go slower and still put vibration in the water. I only use silver and chartreuse blades sizes 0-3 and usually run a double blade rig as it puts more vibration and flash in the water. To build a lindy/little joe rig you need beads, clevises, blades, line and a hook I like the octopus hooks in size #2-6 and occasionally will make the rigs with a #4-6 treble stingers but mostly make them with 2 octopus hooks. For single hook rigs a uni snell knot will work for dual hook rigs you have to tie a traditional snell knot so the line will lie flat on the hook shank coming out of the knot and won't affect the way the bait looks in the water.

Bert

"Beware the lolipop of mediocrity, one lick and you could suck forever" - unknown author
Re: Wheeler branch first trip [Re: chas1] #11208705 11/06/15 04:46 AM
C
Canoe-Yak Fisherman Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
C
I have chased walleye at Wheeler Branch myself. I fish both canoe and kayak. I caught a walleye the summer of 2014 about 17" (yum!). I was trolling Rapala silver SR5 shad rapp on 8# Trilene xl, and missed a second that hit rod #2. This was summer '14. Was trolling 13-15 FOW, parallel to large rock reef, North side. I continue to vary techniques. Last weekend I jigged 30-50 foot depths immediately adjacent to 25-35 foot "shelf." Was using spinning gear w/braid mainline, 8# fluorocarbon leader, 3/8 oz jig w/various swim baits. Missed two strikes, but when jig coming up a ways from bottom. Bass? Saw nothing on electronics (likely user ignorance). If anything like Walleye up North, lake bottom and s-l-o-w is important, often deep, but not always. Funny about the one I caught in '14...July...10:30 AM, nearly 90 deg air temp, not a cloud in the sky, water crystal clear and smooth as glass. Not exactly the walleye fisherman's dream conditions. I love fishing this lake chasing walleye; I have caught giant largemouth, solid smallmouth, a 10+ lb. channel cat, huge bluegill, not to mention the awesome aquarium show in the clear water. I'll keep chasing! Count me in if you have any weekend plans coming up in the cold weather.

D.L.

Re: Wheeler branch first trip [Re: chas1] #11209220 11/06/15 04:11 PM
B
Brad R Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
B
Good info, Bert and Canoe-Yak!

I await the proper weather to take Bert up on a walleye trip. I've seen a few caught out there by guys holding them up from boats as they passed by but none were fishing specifically for them.

It looks like fairly heavy winds tomorrow, 15 to 18 mph, and that means Wheeler would be even windier. Sunday looks like a better day to me. I may head down there for some LMB fishing.

I'll keep watching the reports!

Brad

Re: Wheeler branch first trip [Re: chas1] #11210608 11/07/15 03:13 PM
B
B_Rod Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
B
I would be interested in joining you guys for this trip, Bert. Please let me know when you guys go.

Re: Wheeler branch first trip [Re: chas1] #11214550 11/09/15 03:11 PM
B
bert Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
B
You got it Bert, so it looks like we have 4,

Me
B_Rod
Brad R
Canoe-Yak

Anyone else interested? I will try to set up a venue to tie up rigs that is central to the metromess once we have a head count and we can tie up some rigs so everyone will be set.

Bert

Re: Wheeler branch first trip [Re: chas1] #11217851 11/11/15 05:55 AM
L
Lewisville fisher Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
L
I would be interested in the walleye trip. What are you thinking in terms of days and time of days early morning late evening? if you give me enough notice I can ask off

Re: Wheeler branch first trip [Re: chas1] #11217950 11/11/15 12:54 PM
B
Brad R Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
B
Lewisville fisher,

I think Bert is watching and waiting for water temps in the 45 to 50 degree range for the walleye outing. What we will do is scan this thread for anyone who has shown an interest to alert them.

This ought to be fun: get a half dozen or so kayaks out there and see what happens.

Brad

Re: Wheeler branch first trip [Re: chas1] #11218242 11/11/15 03:02 PM
B
bert Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
B
I am actually going to start going when the water temps get down to 55, they do a fall feed like other fish they just do it when the water is a bit colder. This is when they will stay shallower and be more fishable during the hours available at Wheeler.

Lewisville,

Probably going to try to do a Saturday or Sunday in the next few weeks and will continue to go all winter to truly figure out the walleye and lock them down. I plan on being there when the gates open at 7 and launching by 7:15 as they prefer lower light conditions.

New list,

Me
B_Rod
Brad R
Canoe-Yak
Lewisville Fisher

Who is actually interested in making bait rigs?

Bert

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide