Page 1 of 2 1 2
1st Float Tube Questions #9744380 02/17/14 02:50 AM
D
Duke 59 Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
D
I will be buying my first tube and don't know what to look for. I will be using it on a small, 25 acre lake that is close to my house. I will not have to walk far from my truck to launch. What are the pros and cons on different types? What accessories should I get or any?

Any help is appreciated

Greg

Re: 1st Float Tube Questions [Re: Duke 59] #9744646 02/17/14 03:53 AM
F
Fish Chaser Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
F

Re: 1st Float Tube Questions [Re: Duke 59] #9746011 02/17/14 06:44 PM
D
Double K Outdoors Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
D
Duke, it's really hard to say what is going to be the correct one for you. There's many variables that come into play, but really what it boils down to is personal preference. The 2 links above will provide a great amount of information that you will find useful. The best thing I can suggest, is do your homework and make sure that you are going to get something that fits your needs.

~You won't catch any fish if you don't try!
[Linked Image]

Re: 1st Float Tube Questions [Re: Duke 59] #9746537 02/17/14 09:32 PM
R
robbiebobbie92 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
R
Duke, As Fisherman1 said do your homework and get something fit your needs. I just recently purchased a Intex Mariner 3 inflatable boat. Its perfect for me because I can roll it up and store it almost anywhere as well fit it in my mustang. I use mine primarily for small ponds but then I have added a few things to make it comfortable on a lake for a few hours.

As for accessories, a lot of inflatables can just about have anything a kayak can. On my inflatable I have mounted a trolling motor, fish finder, wood floors. Of course the more you have with it the less mobile/convenient it becomes.

Here is a picture of mine below.

This picture was after we were done so its a mess. But between the seats I can put a full size cooler!

Re: 1st Float Tube Questions [Re: Duke 59] #9748181 02/18/14 04:50 AM
P
porta Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
P
I agree with the above posters that it is personal preference, because everyone's needs and expectations are different. Some random questions off the top of my head anyone might ask and answer to themselves:
-Am I big guy as the limits are about 350# for a float tube, maybe go to a pontoon/raft beyond that?
-What kind of physical shape, to tell if you need motor power accessory with a toon/raft?
-How long will I be out, will it always be the same few places, how many times per year, and do if have the work schedule flexibility to select the weather when I go- tells comfort factors, quality/ruggedness needed?
-Do I have space to leave the tube set up and loaded or will I have to go thru inflation protocol and loading each time- tells amount on actual fishing time on the water?
-How will tube be transported and what is the most distance place I would go regularly- tells actual fishing time on the water?
-How much can I spend, how soon do I need it, and do I have a 100% satisfaction return policy where I buy?

If possible, go with someone that has experience and an extra tube to loan you to try out the concept. There are some details like adjusting pressure before/after in altitude or cold water, fin propulsion, traveling backwards, etc. which are best observed with someone experienced. If that is not possible, you can go alone and try a high rated tube shipped/returned from your nearby Wall Mart like: http://www.walmart.com/ip/Classic-Accessories-Cumberland-Float-Tube/16637566 Wear a separate life vest and don't go farther than you can swim from shore.

Hope this helps.

Porta

Originally Posted By: Duke 59
I will be buying my first tube and don't know what to look for. I will be using it on a small, 25 acre lake that is close to my house. I will not have to walk far from my truck to launch. What are the pros and cons on different types? What accessories should I get or any?

Any help is appreciated

Greg

Re: 1st Float Tube Questions [Re: Duke 59] #9750729 02/19/14 02:00 AM
D
Duke 59 Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
D
This info is helpful.

As I have been looking at different tubes and reading reviews I hear people talk about a tube riding high or low. What is preferred? I am a little over 6ft tall and would think it would be easier to cast and retrieve if sitting higher....but does that make the rig less stable?

Re: 1st Float Tube Questions [Re: Duke 59] #9751051 02/19/14 03:02 AM
P
porta Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
P
Originally Posted By: Duke 59
This info is helpful.

Comments in bold below:

As I have been looking at different tubes and reading reviews I hear people talk about a tube riding high or low. What is preferred? Riding high is sitting above the water line or close to it and is usually better especially if you can keep your hind quarters dry and the seat is firm. If you are riding high at maximum pressure, you can usually go lower by letting some air out, so long as the tube retains it shape and doesn't wrinkle. The opposite is not true, because you should not over inflate. I am a little over 6ft tall and would think it would be easier to cast and retrieve if sitting higher.... For me, good firm seat support is more important whether high or low (arms/gear will be clear of water/tube sides,and you will turn to face the fighting fish). A mushy seat takes away energy from my cast. You go quietly/slowly drifting to the fish in a tube,so casting distance is not a big factor for my technique. but does that make the rig less stable? Not significantly unstable sitting higher in most cases, especially in still water. Where wind/wakes or waves are involved you can gain stability by extending your legs as low as possible and turning the point of the tube into the waves to break the energy. It would take close to a surfing wave to flip a tube because of the keel effect of dangling legs.

Porta

Re: 1st Float Tube Questions [Re: Duke 59] #9751477 02/19/14 04:31 AM
F
Fish Chaser Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
F
Believe it or not, you can lean too far forward in the tube and have it overturn on you. I know because this happened to me in my Fish Cat 4 Deluxe tube a couple of months ago.

Re: 1st Float Tube Questions [Re: Fish Chaser] #9752810 02/19/14 06:30 PM
P
porta Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
P
Wow Anthony, thanks for the heads up! My ODC has never overturned, no matter how far I lean in any direction. If I lean far forward, the ODC tilts down at the open end and slides/jumps out from under me, but I remain upright.

Did you mean to say the FC 4X slid out beneath you and landed overturned without you in it? Or did your head go under water while you were still in it, when it rolled over?

Porta

Originally Posted By: AnthonyTricou
Believe it or not, you can lean too far forward in the tube and have it overturn on you. I know because this happened to me in my Fish Cat 4 Deluxe tube a couple of months ago.

Re: 1st Float Tube Questions [Re: Duke 59] #9753859 02/20/14 12:13 AM
F
Fish Chaser Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
F
I was leaning far forward and a little to the right to pick up a golf ball in my net and the tube flipped completely over. I went under, fortunately in only 4' of water, but I went completely under. The water was cold but fortunately I was wearing neoprene waders and the outside temp was about 70. It surprised the heck out of me!!

Last edited by AnthonyTricou; 02/20/14 12:14 AM.
Re: 1st Float Tube Questions [Re: Duke 59] #9761244 02/22/14 08:15 AM
P
porta Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
P
The storage area behind the seat on my ODC partially floods with water and adds stability when leaning forward. I'm guessing that if someone remains leaning in the forward position for several minutes so this water drains out the stability could be lost and one could go over. Thinking of testing this theory when the water warms up enough for a swim suit.

Porta

Re: 1st Float Tube Questions [Re: porta] #9761680 02/22/14 03:07 PM
F
Fish Chaser Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
F
Originally Posted By: porta
The storage area behind the seat on my ODC partially floods with water and adds stability when leaning forward. I'm guessing that if someone remains leaning in the forward position for several minutes so this water drains out the stability could be lost and one could go over. Thinking of testing this theory when the water warms up enough for a swim suit.

Porta

Just make sure that you are in shallow water. laugh

Re: 1st Float Tube Questions [Re: Duke 59] #9766659 02/24/14 03:39 PM
T
That Possum Offline
Angler
Angler
T
I've been fishing in tubes since the 80s. I started out with a big round tube with the Fish Master kickers that strap to your heel that you can paddle forward in. Then I progressed to the Caddis U tubes with the frog flippers and changed brands a few different times.

Now, almost 30 years later, I'm back to the big, round, canvas covered tube made by Tube Commander up in OKC. I'm a Fatboy now, and the round tubes hold more weight, they got more storage..ain't got that stupid net apron in front of you..but i usually always cut those out the day I bought the tube. The canvas and heavy rubber tube turns hooks and fish fins a lot better than my U tube too. I was having to patch after almost every trip.

Yeah its heavy, but I don't have to carry it far. I can lean back further in it if I wanna stretch, and the front of the tube kinda acts like a stripping basket or a little work bench if I need to mess with stuff. And its got a cupholder sewn into it that can hold the big Gatorade bottles!

I'm probably the only dude anymore who still uses a round tube but after trying out most the different brands and styles, I'm pleased with my choice.

Re: 1st Float Tube Questions [Re: Duke 59] #9810388 03/10/14 05:02 AM
F
float_tube_angler Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
F
The Fishcat 4 and the ODC420 are two popular float tube models. They ride high in the water so you and your gear stays nice and dry.

Here is a website that sells rod holders for float tubes: Float Tube Rod Holders

They're great if you like to carry a lot of rods on your float tube. I've been using these rod holders for a couple years now and they're great. This is what the rod holders look like:

Last edited by float_tube_angler; 03/10/14 05:03 AM.
Re: 1st Float Tube Questions [Re: Duke 59] #9812218 03/10/14 10:33 PM
U
uncle_bagster Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
U
For my first tube, I'd get a plain-Jane, round model like Possum talked about.Some guys just don't take to being out in the water in a float tube. I'd make sure I wasn't in that category before investing a lot of money. It can get pretty spooky when the snakes start swimming my and the snapping turtles start poking their heads up.

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide