Print Thread
Somerville Lake - Friday 5/6 #11591469 05/09/16 03:46 PM
D
de_legaspi Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
D
Went out this past Friday from 7am-12pm looking for the largemouth bass bite on my first visit here. Got to the Overlook Marina boat ramp and with the lake up about 6 feet, I had a hard time judging where the lanes of the ramp headed into the water. I just watched a few other boaters go in to see how they handled the launch and just followed suit. With the water level being so far up, the launch angle of the ramp was low, so I had to back my truck way down into the water. Also being by myself, it was a little difficult to get out, walk in the water to unhook the boat, get in, idle to the shore, grab the truck and park, then get back. One older guy with two others at the launch made some smart-[censored] remark how I was taking too much time, but I thought I was doing pretty good. Besides, there were two lanes going and no waiting lines as far as I could tell; plus that guy had two other guys to help him launch his boat. Id like to see him try and launch solo in those conditions. Anyway

Started off near the Overlook Park area and started throwing a Zara Spook near the flooded tree lines, and immediately got a 1.5lb. fish on my first cast. I thought that was going to be a sign for a good day to come, but didnt land another fish for the next four hours. Tried the remainder of the flooded Overlook Park tree lines with topwaters, squarebills, cranks, plastics, kitchen sinks, but nothing was taking. I then headed over to the islands working everything from the shore down to about 20ft. Nothing. Then I headed over to the two coves near the Yegua Park area and fished those hard for about two hours, again with nothing. Decided to work my way back and hit up the Overlook Park area again, since this was the only area I knew that held at least one bass. Decided to throw a 5 Senko near the flooded trees and just let bait sink slow down to about 4-6ft. and let it soak for about 30 seconds before slowing lifting it up and letting it sink again. That seemed to be the trick, as I caught about another 12 little 1-1.5lb. bass in that area between 11am-12pm. I was hoping for some bigger fish, but was glad to at least catch something more before I headed out. Not sure if I will head out again here anytime soon, but was glad to at least try and give this lake a try. It was a nice day to be out, weather was nice and the winds were mild.

Re: Somerville Lake - Friday 5/6 [Re: de_legaspi] #11592079 05/09/16 07:16 PM
W
wooddiver Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
W
I went to Somerville last weekend and no luck, just a few small fish. Have not fished the lake for several years and it was a good midway point to meet friends from Houston. By 1200ish the jets skies were out in full effect along with the wake boarders and their loud music. I think this is more of a party lake than fishing lake in the summer. If I'm wrong let me know.

Re: Somerville Lake - Friday 5/6 [Re: wooddiver] #11593111 05/10/16 01:48 AM
John P085 Offline
Angler
Angler
Originally Posted By: wooddiver
I went to Somerville last weekend and no luck, just a few small fish. Have not fished the lake for several years and it was a good midway point to meet friends from Houston. By 1200ish the jets skies were out in full effect along with the wake boarders and their loud music. I think this is more of a party lake than fishing lake in the summer. If I'm wrong let me know.

You're wrong. There was a tournament out there this past weekend. 25lbs won and had 4 bags over 20 pounds.

Re: Somerville Lake - Friday 5/6 [Re: wooddiver] #11593301 05/10/16 02:52 AM
H
hook-line&sinker Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
H
Originally Posted By: wooddiver

not wrong.. but the warm weather fishing is done with one eye on the nut jobs jetting all over the lake.. that is when I kayak back up the creeks and stay off the main lake on weekends..

>)));> Wishin' I was Fishin' <;(((<

“Personnel is the most vital and important aspect of any industry.
If you’re just going to grind them up, it’s not going to end well for anybody.”
SCOTT REINARDY

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide