Print Thread
Falcon Report 1-31 #3071522 02/01/09 01:21 PM
M
MeSkeeter Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
M
I had a very solid day at Falcon today!! First off I want to talk about the lake. I have never seen this lake so clear in my life. I would describe it as being as clear as Coleto Creek on a calm day. Every time I fish it falcon is quite stained, but not today. Also, the lake is huge right now!! I have not fished Falcon since early this fall and it has even more water in it now. Crazy full!

Now, I have heard alot of complaints about the influx of water, but I actually found many advantages in it. The best one was boat accessability throughout the entire lake. In years past it has always been a pain to weave in and out of timber while going from one point, cove, or shoreline destination to the next. Not anymore! Everything is under water! For those of you who have been to Falcon before but not lately, remember those big marker poles that run the center of the lake. They are usually a good 20-30 ft in the air, now they are almost under water!!

The high water has also opened up many new areas for fishing and has created many new creeks, which we utilized today! All of the old structure is still there, underwater, and now there is a whole lot of new structure to work with. However, there is so much new cover in the water that the fish get a bit scattered, no worry though bcause theres a lot of fish!!

Me and my dad probably caught about 25-30 bass today between 7am and 2 pm. Nothing was under 2 lbs. We had several in the 4-5 lb range, one 6 lber, and I watched my dad loose 3 fish close to double digits. The fishing was not fast but we steadily had a very fun day!!

Now, we had heard that the shallow water fishing was not good yet. However, every single one of our fish was caught in about 6 ft of water, give or take 2 feet! We got two strong patterns going. Like usual, both patterns consisted of fishing areas with a rock bottom. We simply looked for rocks/pebbles on the shorlines to tell which areas had rock bottoms. The rocks always extend well out into the water if you can see them on land.

Now the first pattern consisted of fishing main lake and secondary points. We seemed to find most of the fish holding tight to dead cover(brush). Not much came off green cover! One of the best point areas was a spot that I knew had a ledge from previous experience.

Probably the best pattern consisted of fishing near the mouths of little creeks in that big cove area that I think is called "School Bus." Regardless of the name, it was a big cove with a bunch of small creeks. Like I mentioned before, there was a rock bottom to these areas. Like with the points, we would target flooded cover, typically the dead brush. The mouths of creeks produced are best action!

"No fish came shallower than 4 feet and we did not see any beds though several of the fish looked ready to pop!"

Oh yea, we caught everything off of watermelon pumpkin senkos fished "wacky" style on 12 lb flourocarbon. It is imperative to get fish up quick bcause there was lots of cover everywhere to get wrapped up in. Didnt break off much though, only once I think. We tried spinnerbaits and crankbaits off and on but the wacky action was too good to put down.

I think that fish will start spawning soon if we can get a few days in a row of warm weather!

Now, my report is a little different than what I have been hearing and what we expected, but this is how it usually goes for me at falcon! I seem to catch fish in different ways than what the rest of the crowd is doing!

Re: Falcon Report 1-31 [Re: MeSkeeter] #3073402 02/01/09 11:52 PM
garnerac Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Good info, heading down for the week tomorrow AM (Monday)

Dont redistribute my wealth, Redistribute my work ethic!
Re: Falcon Report 1-31 [Re: garnerac] #3074321 02/02/09 10:12 AM
T
texag87 Offline
Angler
Angler
T
great report....thanks

Re: Falcon Report 1-31 [Re: texag87] #3074576 02/02/09 11:42 AM
W
WalksOnWater Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
W
Just got back after fishing four days (Thurs to Sunday). Consistent bite all four days with a between 15-20 fish caught each day. Biggest was a 7.2. I would disagree with most of the posts I have been seeing about the spawn. The first big wave is over. Those fish have already spawned. We did catch some fish in the 5-7 pound range that had not spawned but the big fish we caught (and the other big fish in our group) were already spawned out. We caught fish from 6 to 24 feet. The most consistent range was 7-11 feet on big flats with watermellon/red senko or lizard. We figured out another pattern a little to late that seemed to be consistently producing nice fish. Slow rollling (almost jigging) a spinnerbait through the treetops (submerged hardwoods) in 24 feet of water will get you bit. Fish the spinner painfully slow over the top of the trees and drop it down over each branch (and hold on). Those deeper fish will flat our pull the rod out of your hand. About half of the fish we caught deep had spawned out, the other half were full of eggs.

The shallow bite was lite. Usually just saw your line move or would feel the line get heavy.

Warmest water we saw was 63 degrees. With the warm up, the water should follow suit and the second waive of spawners should be moving up. I think there is full moon coming up so that should help too.

Last edited by WalksOnWater; 02/02/09 11:43 AM.

"Fear not for I am with you, be not dismayed for I am your God, I will give you strength." Isah. 41:10
Re: Falcon Report 1-31 [Re: WalksOnWater] #3074757 02/02/09 12:40 PM
M
MeSkeeter Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
M
I figured that maybee a few fish had spawned in late Dec. too, bcause it was so warm. However, since nothing has happened on Choke, and we got a late winter on our hands, I thought that Falcon was a little later in spawning than usual too.

But, like I said, I would not doubt if a few fish have spawned. However, on big lakes like Falcon the fish usually spawn in several waves. I know that choke had two very distinct spawning waves last year, in my opinion. One started Late Jan. and lasted through Feb. and the other started the end of March and ran into early April!

Anyways, there is still a bunch a fish on Falcon that have not spawned out though. We caught several fish that had eggs in them. We usually dont keep fish but my dad wanted to take home a couple, we took three home trying to take only males, but one of them ended up being a little female with eggs! So, thats proof that fish are still going to bed!

Yea, alot of people did there fishing deep. However, like I said we did very well and never fished deeper than 8 ft, caught all of our fish in about 6 feet!

Re: Falcon Report 1-31 [Re: MeSkeeter] #3075757 02/02/09 05:07 PM
D
Dubdee0311 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
D
The water temp is going to start rising within the next week. Check out this 10 day forecast...
http://www.weather.com/weather/tenday/USTX1499?from=36hr_topnav_undeclared

Re: Falcon Report 1-31 [Re: Dubdee0311] #3086828 02/05/09 11:51 AM
W
WalksOnWater Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
W
Look at the pics on www.falconlaketackle.com posted yesterday. Three big fish, but they all look to have already spawned out. Couple of weeks ago those fish would have been another 1-3 pounds heavier. This weeks upcoming weather should push another wave into the shallows so good luck to all who get to fish there in the next week or so. Could be in line to catch a hog.

Last edited by WalksOnWater; 02/05/09 11:51 AM.

"Fear not for I am with you, be not dismayed for I am your God, I will give you strength." Isah. 41:10
Re: Falcon Report 1-31 [Re: WalksOnWater] #3088779 02/05/09 08:17 PM
garnerac Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
I was there yesterday and found some REALLLY shallow water just loaded with Fry.

Dont redistribute my wealth, Redistribute my work ethic!
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide