Print Thread
Let's get jiggy with it #11550392 04/18/16 06:00 PM
A
AvidOutdoors7 Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
A
So, I haven't used jigs too much but I have been told they are widely known for catching quality bass, so I was wondering if any of you had suggestions on how to use the jig or even colors to use would be great!

just an avid outdoorsman
Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: Let's get jiggy with it [Re: AvidOutdoors7] #11550401 04/18/16 06:03 PM
B
Bayou Burner Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
B
If you have used a T-Rig, you can use a Jig.

"Courage is being scared to death... and saddling up anyway."

John Wayne

ADHAERO VIRTUTI
Re: Let's get jiggy with it [Re: AvidOutdoors7] #11550516 04/18/16 06:52 PM
B
BAGaBass Offline
Angler
Angler
B
Drag like a c-rig. There is no mistaking when you get a bite. Guaranteed!

Re: Let's get jiggy with it [Re: AvidOutdoors7] #11550537 04/18/16 07:01 PM
R
RayBob Offline
Super Freak
Super Freak
R
I started fishing jigs strictly with black/blue jigs with black no.1 or no.11 Uncle Josh pork. Pitch or flip to a target and stay in contact with your bait as it falls but let it go straight down. Sometimes I'll just hop it 3-4 times and reel in, sometimes crawl it all the way back to the boat. Gotta experiment some just like with any retrieve on any bait ... see what they want. Some days you might even swim it back higher in the water column. There is no wrong way to fish it so go out and fish ONLY your jigs.

Advice? Wise men don't need it. Fools won't heed it.

Re: Let's get jiggy with it [Re: AvidOutdoors7] #11550558 04/18/16 07:13 PM
Donald Harper Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
A jig is the ultimate bait to get all the good things on it to take advantage of every little detail that Mr. Bass would like to see, taste, smell, hear and sense.

Sight- I want the biggest eye on my jig that I can get on there. This concept stems form my old school philosophy that when a Bass takes its' pray, it looks it in the eye.

Taste/Smell- I wanted the jig to have the living rubber skirt that is saturated in Crayfish 100% Oil. The trailer is also hand poured and scented. She will be able to taste and smell the package. This concept comes with building a skirt with scent. The living rubber skirts have the Crayfish Powder scent poured in with the tabs. Then each skirt goes in an oil bath until ready to go on a bait.

Sound-
My 3/4 oz. Jig eyes are rattling eyes which eliminates the rattle chamber. I want her to hear it coming and it is loud. The 1/2 inch dome BB eye really puts out the sound. The brass eyed jigs are the loudest and the BB rattles a tune that the Big Bass cannot resist. All my other Baby Doll Jigs come with the 3D prism eye.

Colors-I build my jigs with the seasons in mind. All skirts are built to mimic the seasonal Crayfish for Spring, Summer and Late Fall. I use watermelon red trailers for all seasons.

Each person you work with holds some promise to your future success.
Websiite Sponsors:
www.eletewater.com - Staying Hydrated
www.lakeoviachic.com - Booking Mexico Trips
20 Hot Spot Mapping - GPS Contour Chips - Custom Spinner Baits - Jigs -Spooks
Pure Extracts - Minnow-Night Crawler-Crayfish-Craylic

Re: Let's get jiggy with it [Re: AvidOutdoors7] #11550638 04/18/16 07:56 PM
B
bigbass94 Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
B
One thing you must realize is that there numerous amounts of jigs, jig sizes, colors, line ties, hooks, weedguards, etc.. There are different jigs for different scenarios.

Here are my favorites:

Fin Junkie Flipping Jig

Flipping/pitching: My favorite by far is the Fin Junkie! Hands down the best jig I've ever used. This jig is for pitching in to heavy cover and ripping out big fish. You can pretty much fish this jig anywhere, at any time! It has a good head design for getting through brush easily, and the hook is stout. Can't beat the colors either.

Strike King Denny Brauer Structure Jig

Casting: This jig is my favorite for offshore structure fishing. It's great for when you're casting to offshore rock piles or specifically, brush piles. It's unique head design allows it to crawl through cover very easily. It has good components and the hook is sharp.

Jewel Eakins Jig

Finesse: My go to finesse jig is the Eakins jig. This finesse jig has been around for years and has bailed me out many times during tough days on the water. It's designed for finicky and pressured fish. Sometimes bass don't want a 1/2oz or 3/4oz jig and you have to downsize. This is where the finesse jig comes into play. I like Everything about this jig, from it's hook down to it's skirt. Everything's top of the line!

Strike King Tour Grade Football Jig

Football: The best tool for fishing rocks is this Tour Grade football jig. Plain and simple! It's designed to mimic a craw scooting on the bottom. These are also specifically designed to come through rocks easily. The best thing about this bait though is it's head design. The football shape design make this jig stand up vertically and imitate a defensive craw. That drives bass crazy! The Strike King Tour Grade Football Jig has quality components and has the right tools for big fish.

Revenge Swim Jigs

Swim: The best jig for this time of year is a swimming jig. I like to pick out a Revenge swim jig in the bluegill color and throw it around shallow vegetation and any sort of cover I think a bluegill would inhabit. If you're gonna mimic a bluegiil, the swim jig is one of the best ways to do it. Thread your favorite swimbait trailer on the back and you're ready for battle! Make sure you have a good grip on your rod because the bite on a swim jig is vicious!

"If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles." - Doug Larson
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide