Page 1 of 2 1 2
how long would you wait on bass boat repairs? #11438273 02/25/16 02:37 PM
C
Chris_K Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
C
My boat has been in the shop for going on a month now. 2 weeks were to replace injectors. Since that time I've picked it up twice and both times i`ve had to return it within 24 hours because there were still problems. First time I had alarms when turning the key and second time It just quit on me running down the lake. Honestly I'm not sure it's close to being fixed, I don't even think the problem has been identified. How patient would you be?

Last edited by Chris_K; 02/25/16 02:38 PM.
Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: how long would you wait on bass boat repairs? [Re: Chris_K] #11438276 02/25/16 02:39 PM
RedRanger Offline
burro desagradable
burro desagradable
I would be on the already pissed off side.

Sounds like they don't know what they are doing. Time to find a new shop............

Re: how long would you wait on bass boat repairs? [Re: RedRanger] #11438293 02/25/16 02:47 PM
F
Frank the Tank Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
F
Originally Posted By: RedRanger

Sounds like they don't know what they are doing. Time to find a new shop............

^^^^^ and post up the shop so others know to avoid it. It's one of the only ways the owner will make improvements.

Jesus loves all of us
Re: how long would you wait on bass boat repairs? [Re: Frank the Tank] #11438348 02/25/16 03:09 PM
C
Chris_K Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
C
Originally Posted By: Frank the Tank
Originally Posted By: RedRanger

^^^^^ and post up the shop so others know to avoid it. It's one of the only ways the owner will make improvements.

I've been told they want to lake test it and that's the reason for the delay this week. Although I'm not sure why it's needed to identify why my outboard isn't giving me the proper charge and to pinpoint some sort of spark or fuel issue. I'm not going to post up the name while they have my boat. I'm going to reserve judgement until I hear from them Friday. If it's not fixed I'll go get it and post an update.

Re: how long would you wait on bass boat repairs? [Re: Chris_K] #11438351 02/25/16 03:11 PM
F
FLW_01 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
F
let me guess. Outdoor specialties in eastland? I bought a boat from them and have nothing but trouble with it. First they said alternator, then wrong spark plugs, then computer?????! Still does not run like it did on the test drive. They arent covering any of it and it was less than a week from when I bought it.

Re: how long would you wait on bass boat repairs? [Re: FLW_01] #11438362 02/25/16 03:15 PM
C
Chris_K Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
C
Originally Posted By: FLW_01
let me guess. Outdoor specialties in eastland? I bought a boat from them and have nothing but trouble with it. First they said alternator, then wrong spark plugs, then computer?????! Still does not run like it did on the test drive. They arent covering any of it and it was less than a week from when I bought it.
I will say it's not them. I'm in Athens. The shop isn't in Athens . That's all I'll say for now.

Re: how long would you wait on bass boat repairs? [Re: Chris_K] #11438376 02/25/16 03:22 PM
B
Bobby Milam Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
B
I waited 1 1/2 months. Not the shops fault. everything that could cause a delay,did but wasn't any way around it. It was worth the wait. Starts better than it ever has. No more getting stuck on the lake for me

Re: how long would you wait on bass boat repairs? [Re: Chris_K] #11438386 02/25/16 03:23 PM
F
fitter2259 Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
F
What did they diagnose the problem was?

To me a month in the shop is a long time in a shop not to get it right the first time and I'd be looking for another shop too. Unfortunately the problem in a lot of cases people can get bumped in a shop for their "preferred customers" as opposed to first come first serve service. New sales, recent sale warrantee work and tour/major sponsorship service is probably going to take priority in many shops. This is the busiest time of the year for shops that cater to bass fisherman prepping for the upcoming spawning season, so you can expect some delay but again if you repeatedly have to return back to them for the same problem then something is wrong. You can look for larger more well known shops that have a bigger staff in order to pick up the heavier work load for this time of year but there are no guarantees there either. Good luck.

Re: how long would you wait on bass boat repairs? [Re: Chris_K] #11438452 02/25/16 03:48 PM
N
Nutman Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
N

Take it to Anglers Marine in Gun Barrel.
Terry Tanner has done fantastic work for me in the past month.
he will get it in & out when he says he will (or before) and does real good work.
Look for an ad in the announcement section.

Originally Posted By: Chris_K
Originally Posted By: FLW_01
I will say it's not them. I'm in Athens. The shop isn't in Athens . That's all I'll say for now.

Re: how long would you wait on bass boat repairs? [Re: fitter2259] #11438453 02/25/16 03:48 PM
C
Chris_K Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
C
Originally Posted By: fitter2259
What did they diagnose the problem was?

To me a month in the shop is a long time in a shop not to get it right the first time and I'd be looking for another shop too. Unfortunately the problem in a lot of cases people can get bumped in a shop for their "preferred customers" as opposed to first come first serve service. New sales, recent sale warrantee work and tour/major sponsorship service is probably going to take priority in many shops. This is the busiest time of the year for shops that cater to bass fisherman prepping for the upcoming spawning season, so you can expect some delay but again if you repeatedly have to return back to them for the same problem then something is wrong. You can look for larger more well known shops that have a bigger staff in order to pick up the heavier work load for this time of year but there are no guarantees there either. Good luck.

When I got the boat from an individual, this shop had just reworked the power head. Sleeved a cylinder, replaced the Pistons and more I'm sure. He told me it was running rich when I called to inquire on the condition of the outboard and it needed injectors which he would cover so long as I payed labor... The boat ran fine, but you smelled gas and it was using way too much fuel. So I take it in and he replaces injectors. While it was there I had him fix a few minor things(add some bus bars, service steering, find out why my cranking battery isn't being charged by outboard, etc). Get it back and don't even make it to the lake. Turned the key on and the warning horn went off, so I take it back. Said he replaced check valve for crank pressure to the oil tank. Go get it a second time and within 5 minutes of being on the lake it dies on me while I'm on plane and it will not start. Obviously, it was flooded out. When I tried to start it it would billow blue smoke and spit fuel out of exhaust and the cranking battery isn't being charged still, which the issues could be related. I checked compression on all cylinders which was still good and I returned it Saturday and as of yesterday he hadn't found anything wrong. I know he replaced the plugs and didn't use the ql77cc that the manual calls for, not sure if that caused my problem or not though. I really think the problem is that he won't buckle down and just focus on getting mine right and out the door.

Last edited by Chris_K; 02/25/16 03:53 PM.
Re: how long would you wait on bass boat repairs? [Re: Nutman] #11438458 02/25/16 03:49 PM
C
Chris_K Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
C
I actually went and spoke with him yesterday. If I have to go get it, I'm taking it to Terry to finish the repair

Re: how long would you wait on bass boat repairs? [Re: Chris_K] #11438480 02/25/16 03:58 PM
W
westtexgolfer Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
W
I would have had a fit by now... 1) He obviously did not check the boat before letting you pick it up at all if you went out and immediately got an alarm the first time... 2) He did not take the time to run it with ears or a bath for long enough to check everything the second time you picked it up which left you with a paddle in the lake.... 3) He still has no clue what he is doing although he says he does and he has had it sounds like 3 different times so far...

I would definitely not let him keep doing things to it that seem to be wasting more time/money than you would be taking it to a good mechanic that can diagnose the problem properly. de

Last edited by westtexgolfer; 02/25/16 04:06 PM.
Re: how long would you wait on bass boat repairs? [Re: Chris_K] #11438509 02/25/16 04:08 PM
F
fitter2259 Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
F
It sounds like you have a litany of issues that needed to be dealt with that were not communicated in your OP. That being the case I can understand it taking longer than just a Tune Service or Injector Service thus causing some delay. But, I'm still going to hold fast to the premise of not releasing the boat back into your custody until what you ordered to have done is completed even if a lake test is required or not.

Re: how long would you wait on bass boat repairs? [Re: Chris_K] #11438552 02/25/16 04:23 PM
Lowly Net Boy Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
Go get it and take it somewhere else there are a lot of things in this world that causes headaches and BP's to rise, a boat should not be one of them

Re: how long would you wait on bass boat repairs? [Re: Chris_K] #11461019 03/07/16 05:39 PM
C
Chris_K Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
C
Alright I want to update everyone. I'm not going into extreme details, but I would recommend never taking a boat to TNA marine in Forney. I'm 99 percent certain I was billed for work that wasn't performed. Thus why I continue to have problems. After looking at the few reviews that exist online for this business, it seems to mirror their experience as well.

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide