Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
High school fishing team question?? #11145019 10/04/15 10:10 PM
C.O.D Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
So yesterday while on l.o.p I watched a "boat captain" allow the (I will be nice) young person running the trolling motor pull up on 2 different boats as soon as they started catching fish. The said boat came from over 200 yards away and parked right on the first boats spot where they were casting. The captain asked them to move in a very nice way and said you are where we were casting and the captain told him we were here first and sat there for 15 to 20 min exactly on that spot. A short time later the same high school team got close enough to the second boat (not a high school boat) that they could almost touch them with a rod and the guy asked them if he wanted him to open his live well so they could fish in it and they said nothing back just grinned and set there. the man in the second boat told the so called captain in a polite but straight forward way that he was showing them boys the wrong way to be professionals and still just got a smart [censored] grin from all of them. They set there for about 15 to 20 min and then trolled off. Now this is the first time I have been around one of the high school events and I have to ask myself does this happen a lot and if yes how and why?

Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: High school fishing team question?? [Re: C.O.D] #11145035 10/04/15 10:14 PM
KevinT. Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
In general we are a good bunch of captains and young anglers, was this by the spillway by chance?

KT
Re: High school fishing team question?? [Re: C.O.D] #11145064 10/04/15 10:26 PM
C.O.D Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
No it was at Johnson creek bridge. I also saw plenty of very professional and polite teams and hats off to the captains and the teams

Re: High school fishing team question?? [Re: C.O.D] #11145134 10/04/15 11:17 PM
Big Worm78 Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
It happens. You have to correct this improper etiquette as soon as it happens. If not it is considered ok and it keeps on happening. I have had to say something a couple of times about it to the people responsable. Most know they are doing it but some have very little if any fishing experience. That goes for the captains also. I believe in the unwritten etiquette of letting others have there space, and would not want it done to me. I would not do it to others no matter how bad I wanted to fish there or needed the fish. It is our job as anglers to show respect to each other and at times educate the uneducated. IMO, this needs to be addressed right when it happens and not a day later. If not we as anglers are creating future generations of fishermen that have no respect on the water for anyone, and that does no one of any age anygood. Also, if this was reported to the organization that was fishing that day, I am quite certain it would have been addressed promptly if it needed to go that far.

Lake Fork the new white bass Capital of Texas!
Re: High school fishing team question?? [Re: C.O.D] #11145156 10/04/15 11:36 PM
C.O.D Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
As for addressing it a day later if I would have known who to talk to I would have ask them. I brought it up wondering if anyone else had seen or heard it. Had I known who or where I would have ask them. IMO, Also thought maybe it had happened to some one else and maybe they had talked to some one. Just asking.

Re: High school fishing team question?? [Re: C.O.D] #11145198 10/05/15 12:04 AM
C.O.D Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
I also asked one of the other captains about how close they are allowed to the other boats and he told me that there is no rule in the high school league about how close you can get to another competitor. If this is true maybe they should address it and go to a standard such as 25 yards or 50 yards with poles down or anchored.

Re: High school fishing team question?? [Re: C.O.D] #11145249 10/05/15 12:28 AM
Tim Haugh Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Regardless of what the boat captain you spoke with says, we do have a rule stating that you must remain 50 yards away from a boat that was first anchored in place, including shallow water anchors such as a power pole.

I will remind our team advisors to get with their boat captains to review the rules and follow proper etiquette and common sense. I apologize that you witnessed this type of behavior. Whenever something like this gets brought to our attention, we do deal with it directly. Please do not let the actions of one inconsiderate boat captain teaching kids the wrong way to do things on the water affect your view of high school fishing as 99.9% of the folks involved in this activity are in it for all the right reasons...the students.

Thanks,

Tim Haugh

President, Texas High School Bass Association (THSBA)
www.thsba.net
President, Collegiate Bass Trail of Texas (CBTT)
www.collegiatebasstrailoftexas.com
Re: High school fishing team question?? [Re: C.O.D] #11145270 10/05/15 12:36 AM
T
Txduckhunter Online Content
Extreme Angler
Online Content
Extreme Angler
T
Yes, it happens quite a bit but this is pretty extreme. What school was the offending team from?

I also saw captains riding around at weigh in with their anglers standing on the deck, holding bags of fish and not wearing their PFD.

Re: High school fishing team question?? [Re: C.O.D] #11145300 10/05/15 12:50 AM
C.O.D Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
I do not know what school they were from. No apologies needed for I know this is probably a one time issue and to me will not reflect on any of the other teams. I think what you people are doing is great and I will not judge any of you by what I saw. I would like to think that the captain in the first boat said something to the person in charge because some people are not as tolerant as these gentlemen were.

Re: High school fishing team question?? [Re: C.O.D] #11145600 10/05/15 02:20 AM
D
Douglas J Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
D
I think one of the issues is high school fishing has grown very fast. They may need to limit their fields or possibly split the tournaments into 2 days to give everyone a little more room.

#MFGA
Re: High school fishing team question?? [Re: Douglas J] #11145629 10/05/15 02:33 AM
M
milkfisher Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
M
Originally Posted By: Doug R.
I think one of the issues is high school fishing has grown very fast. They may need to limit their fields or possibly split the tournaments into 2 days to give everyone a little more room.

This is definetly an issue, and it will continue to be an issue moving forward unless they split into additional divisions to spread the kids out. The west division tournament on eagle mountain next weekend should be interesting. There isn't a ramp on the lake that will hold 140+ boats/parking and the tournament won't allow trailering.

Regarding this incident.....I'm a HS Boat captain, and I assure you the boys in my boat will be taught better than this. God, Honesty, integrity, and sportsmanship are first and foremost in my boat.

www.BlastandCast.org
"Pointing Outdoorsman Towards The Cross"
Re: High school fishing team question?? [Re: C.O.D] #11145639 10/05/15 02:36 AM
T
Txduckhunter Online Content
Extreme Angler
Online Content
Extreme Angler
T
Doug, your right about the growth. They split and added a division this year.

I try to keep on mind that a lot of the captains are not "seasoned" tourney veterans and don't know/think about things. Silly things like staying off the loading dock unless you picking someone up, knowing that your boat 115 so there is no sense in getting up by the release boat/dock and blocking everyone else until they are calling 100, learning how to drive the boat around other boats, etc,etc.
On the other hand, I'm seeing a few guys who are seem to think that a flat brim hat, cool boat and a cool jersey somehow entitle them to be able to do what they want - and that is setting a bad example for ALL the kids out there.
With that said, HS tourney fishing is great for the kids and our sport. It's going to have some growing pains.

Last edited by Txduckhunter; 10/05/15 02:38 AM.
Re: High school fishing team question?? [Re: Txduckhunter] #11145702 10/05/15 02:56 AM
D
Douglas J Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
D
Originally Posted By: Txduckhunter
Doug, your right about the growth. They split and added a division this year.

I try to keep on mind that a lot of the captains are not "seasoned" tourney veterans and don't know/think about things. Silly things like staying off the loading dock unless you picking someone up, knowing that your boat 115 so there is no sense in getting up by the release boat/dock and blocking everyone else until they are calling 100, learning how to drive the boat around other boats, etc,etc.
On the other hand, I'm seeing a few guys who are seem to think that a flat brim hat, cool boat and a cool jersey somehow entitle them to be able to do what they want - and that is setting a bad example for ALL the kids out there.
With that said, HS tourney fishing is great for the kids and our sport. It's going to have some growing pains.

Like anything else it will take time to polish and hone it into what some envision it could be.

It's nice to see the kids getting on the water and learning to enjoy and respect our great outdoors.

Perhaps they need some mandatory boat captain training classes to help expedite some of the growing pains.

#MFGA
Re: High school fishing team question?? [Re: C.O.D] #11145731 10/05/15 03:05 AM
H
hookedon Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
H
I was a captain on Pines yesterday and I would have to agree it was a cluster, including the way it was laid out

Re: High school fishing team question?? [Re: C.O.D] #11145950 10/05/15 04:11 AM
C
Cullndinks Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
C
C.O.D, I was at LOP this weekend as a boat captain, and fortunately did not witness any poor etiquette at his event. However, I did have a similar event happen to our team at Lake Palestine. We had a boat come in and cut us off as we were working down a bank of boathouses, and started fishing in front of us where I could have flipped into their boat. I did have words with the boat captain and tried to explain that this was setting a poor example for his team. By his response, it was clear that he did not see it as wrong. I used this opportunity to explain to my boys about why you give people their fishing space, and what acceptable distances are, and that you always try to treat others as you would like to be treated on the water.

I would have to agree with the others who believe that the number of entries per tournament are going to have to be limited; based on the size of lake, facilities readily available, and quality/ease of use of the ramp or launch site where the tournament is being launched from. Finding out the morning of tournament that we would not be able to launch from the host site ramp at LOP caused quite a bit of panic and confusion for a field of well over 150 boats.

I love that high school fishing clubs are growing so fast, and that the Texas High School Bass Association has helped create opportunities for kids to learn and compete in such a wholesome sport. I can't wait to watch the growth of the program over the next several years that my son will be able to compete. However, knowing that the growth rate of the program is so fast, we have to keep in mind at all times that we are maintaining a safe and "encouraging" environment for our kids to learn and enjoy tournament fishing. If we allow the division events to get too big, I feel what they notice the most is all the negatives that inherently come along with large, overcrowded events. I applaud the THSBA for changing the Martin Creek event to Lake fork, as I felt that this event would be very difficult to carry out without tempers flaring and safety being compromised due to the limited launch access and the size of the field competing for limited (warmer) lake space in February.

Thanks to the THSBA for taking on such a challenge, and doing their very best to create opportunities for parents and kids to fish, learn, and make awesome memories!!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide