Print Thread
Livewell Question. #10919940 06/16/15 01:39 PM
B
Bovine Offline OP
Angler
OP Offline
Angler
B
So on my boat (its a little older) the live well has this issue. When I bought it, the guy said that the "aerator line" needs to be hooked up, and there was a cable coming out from one of the seats, but a local marine repair said that he doesnt know what the hell it is but that its not a "aerator line". So my problem here is, the only way to cycle the water out, is to haulass across the lake and the water shoots out of the live well, it has little holes at the top so it doesnt fill and sink my boat but how can i pump it out? The spray valves work at the top to bring fresh water into the livewell, so what I have done so far is put a plug in the live well and use that to fill it up, but then there is no oxygen getting in the water. So Ive been told just mount an aerator in the bottom of your live well. I thought about it and its not a bad idea, however then you still have the same nasty water that is going to get slimy when you have more fish and probably not be healthy for your fish. Any ideas? Looking to fix this myself while all the lakes are full.

Question, Since it has the holes at the top to make sure it doesnt over flow, Can I just plug it and keep filling it and it will keep the water fresh?

Last edited by Bovine; 06/16/15 01:44 PM.

Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: Livewell Question. [Re: Bovine] #10920002 06/16/15 02:03 PM
C
coachallentca Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
C
Have you check to see it your livewell pumps are working? DO you have a switch for you livewells on your dash?

Re: Livewell Question. [Re: coachallentca] #10920168 06/16/15 03:01 PM
B
Bovine Offline OP
Angler
OP Offline
Angler
B
Originally Posted By: coachallentca
Have you check to see it your livewell pumps are working? DO you have a switch for you livewells on your dash?

Honestly Im not sure, I never really touch any switches except the master one so my depth finder and TM will turn on.

Re: Livewell Question. [Re: Bovine] #10920229 06/16/15 03:33 PM
J
jbobo Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
J
You may need one of those switches sometime like BILGE PUMP. I would turn a switch on and see what comes on. Lights, pumps, etc. You can have your wife or someone listen at the back under your hatches for any electric motors running as you flip switches or get them to flip them while you listen and look around to find out what one does what. You may be surprised that a pump is there and comes on and all it needs is a hose connected. or maybe you find a pump with hoses that need the wires hooked up with out having to purchase and install a new one that only circulates nasty water. The circulating pump and fill pump may be the same. It could have an overflow line that will dump back into the lake. That will allow you to pump fresh water in and old water flows out. That also is adding oxygenated fresh water. To drain the tank you can wait till you are through for the day and pull the plug and haul a== to the ramp. Or buy a aerator pump and attach a 6 ft. hose to it with alligator clips for connecting to the battery. Store it under the seat until needed. Throw it in, connect to battery and pump it out into the lake. But, seriously, check out the switches. And label them when you find out what they do.

22 ft. Wellcraft Deep V CC
817-220-2312
www.bobosthumper.com
Re: Livewell Question. [Re: Bovine] #10920530 06/16/15 05:31 PM
T
tyingknots Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
T
My old kingfisher had cables that would open and close the live well ports. It was located just below the throttle. One broke so I had to open the back hatch and manually turn the valve that the cable hooked to. See if there are valves on either or both the water lines that go to your livewells.

Re: Livewell Question. [Re: Bovine] #10920770 06/16/15 07:05 PM
B
Bovine Offline OP
Angler
OP Offline
Angler
B
Thanks for all the detailed replies. I may end up just doing what jbobo said and just let it cycle by having the dirty water go out the fill line and cycle new water in, then at the end of the day just let it drain at the ramp after i put it back on the trailer.

Last edited by Bovine; 06/16/15 07:05 PM.

Re: Livewell Question. [Re: Bovine] #10921000 06/16/15 08:43 PM
TxAgfisher Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
On those style livewells the pumps just pump new water in and old water out the overflow. Put a plug in it and just pump new water in. Does it have a timed aerator switch? My champ (newer model) is the same dang way. I can't fill the livewell half full and turn the recirc on like I could in my other boats.

Saved by the Lord... glad to be an Aggie!

[Linked Image]
Re: Livewell Question. [Re: TxAgfisher] #10921068 06/16/15 09:14 PM
B
Bovine Offline OP
Angler
OP Offline
Angler
B
Originally Posted By: TxAgfisher
On those style livewells the pumps just pump new water in and old water out the overflow. Put a plug in it and just pump new water in. Does it have a timed aerator switch? My champ (newer model) is the same dang way. I can't fill the livewell half full and turn the recirc on like I could in my other boats.

yeah it has a cycle dial that i can adjust the time it pumps new water into it.

Re: Livewell Question. [Re: Bovine] #10921223 06/16/15 10:08 PM
D
David Burton Online Content
TFF Team Angler
Online Content
TFF Team Angler
D
This wouldn't happen to be an old Skeeter Starfire or SD model, would it? There are wiring/switch diagrams on the web for the older models. You can search for one of those. But, it sounds like you only have one pump, an aerator, that is on a timing circuit. You need a plug for the lower 'drain' pipe to keep water in the live-well. They sell them at Academy in the boating section, the either screw-in or pop in. You'll want to measure the PVC pipe. Leave the top (overflow) open, that will allow water to run out the top. The aerator head will add fresh water. That process causes churn and aeration in the well itself.

Post some pics if you want more specific help.

However, yes... This is how live-wells were designed in the 70's & 80's (at least). The recirc and pump outs are newer additions to most boats beyond the older high-end models.

Last edited by David Burton; 06/16/15 10:15 PM.

David Burton
2015 Skeeter FX 21 +Ultrex +Helix 12 (x3) +Mega360 +MegaLive
Re: Livewell Question. [Re: David Burton] #10922133 06/17/15 09:42 AM
B
Bovine Offline OP
Angler
OP Offline
Angler
B
Originally Posted By: David Burton
This wouldn't happen to be an old Skeeter Starfire or SD model, would it? There are wiring/switch diagrams on the web for the older models. You can search for one of those. But, it sounds like you only have one pump, an aerator, that is on a timing circuit. You need a plug for the lower 'drain' pipe to keep water in the live-well. They sell them at Academy in the boating section, the either screw-in or pop in. You'll want to measure the PVC pipe. Leave the top (overflow) open, that will allow water to run out the top. The aerator head will add fresh water. That process causes churn and aeration in the well itself.

Post some pics if you want more specific help.

However, yes... This is how live-wells were designed in the 70's & 80's (at least). The recirc and pump outs are newer additions to most boats beyond the older high-end models.

Thanks, no its not a skeeter its a 1990 astro quickfire 18fs, its old but its what i could afford as a first boat. Ive had a plug in there for a while just to make sure it doesnt fill up cause that would slow me down when i dont catch anything roflmao

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide