Forums59
Topics1,039,187
Posts13,960,597
Members144,194
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Fishing offshore at different types of lakes question.. #12833263 07/18/18 11:16 PM
J
Jswanz58 Offline OP
Angler
OP Offline
Angler
J
is the offshore fishing any better or worse in river fed lakes like Whitney, Granbury, pk...where as creek fed lakes like Ray Roberts, Lewisville, Fork. Seems like everyone knows what lakes are good offshore and you dont here as much about deep water fishing in the first 3 lakes mentioned. Just curious if there and numbers of fish offshore in lakes like this. Enough to spend some time graphing. Also wondering what factors affect wether or not you will look for fish offshore other than the weather and time of year. Thanks!

Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: Fishing offshore at different types of lakes question.. [Re: Jswanz58] #12833317 07/19/18 12:00 AM
Donald Harper Online Happy
TFF Guru
Online Happy
TFF Guru
At this time of year 90% of all your Bass are off shore at Irregular Features on deep water contours. Getting them to bit there is the problem. You have to find those spots where the fish can move a short distance to feed with heavy cove. You have to be there at the right time to load the boat.

River fed lakes gives you vertical ledges. Big Bass like to hang on these the best. Finding the right spots is the key. This is where I come in with 50 years of map study, to know which are the best and how to get them to bite. Big fish hang with big fish. Smaller fish follow a different pattern. They are difficult to catch; but when you do it is going to be a big fish. You have to play upon all the senses of a deep water fish. You have to sew up the deal when you come in contact with one. Baits have to be as real as possible. Presentation is so slow it is boring. Patience and confidence in what your are using is on your side.

Creek fed systems are much shallower. Bass are scattered and are less predictable. Weather and lake conditions affects them much more than deep water lakes with ledges making it much more difficult to find the fish except during the most vulnerable times. In these systems you rely on the heavy cover to produce your fish on an early morning and late evening bite with the exception of the spawn. Creek feed reservoirs can be a night mare during the summer months. Fishing at night becomes very productive. You have to find where they live and follow them to the shallows and learn the routes. They are extremely acclimated to the ping of the depth sounder and motors running on the weekends disappearing to deeper water. Your catching is done during the week usually. As you drive the lake fish are suspended all over the lake at the same depth on any given day and that is the depth they will connect to structure to feed. That is the depth you will want to fish for them. Go as far away as you can get. Learn to fish the creek systems and river system form some access road a couple of miles form the lake. This will be one of the best Fall fishing trips you will make.

Each person you work with holds some promise to your future success.
Websiite Sponsors:
www.eletewater.com - Staying Hydrated
www.lakeoviachic.com - Booking Mexico Trips
20 Hot Spot Mapping - GPS Contour Chips - Custom Spinner Baits - Jigs -Spooks
Pure Extracts - Minnow-Night Crawler-Crayfish-Craylic

Re: Fishing offshore at different types of lakes question.. [Re: Jswanz58] #12833326 07/19/18 12:11 AM
James Biggs Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
On river style lakes in Texas, there are no where near as many bass live deep compared to a lake. TVA lakes out east are full of current & thats a different beast. Dingy water will always have less offshore bass regardless of the time of year.

Re: Fishing offshore at different types of lakes question.. [Re: Jswanz58] #12833352 07/19/18 12:33 AM
G
GeoTro1 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
G
In West Texas, bass usually stay near the shore due to food and cover. There's only a handful of lakes out here that allow you to offshore fish. There are still a few offshore bass but not a lot. I will say my average catch is greater than the bank fisherman. However, 95% of the tournaments I fish are won by beating the bank. I think salinity levels has something to do with them not going deep as well. What Donald and James said is very true. If there is no current, then the bass will suspend way up in the water column making it hard to catch them. If you are going to try it look for ledges and humps. Bass usually like hanging around the 12-25ft contour but they can be caught deep depending on the lake. I will say if the lake has grass in it, I do not go offshore.

Re: Fishing offshore at different types of lakes question.. [Re: GeoTro1] #12833369 07/19/18 12:47 AM
tmd11111 Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
Originally Posted By: GeoTro1
In West Texas, bass usually stay near the shore due to food and cover. There's only a handful of lakes out here that allow you to offshore fish. There are still a few offshore bass but not a lot. I will say my average catch is greater than the bank fisherman. However, 95% of the tournaments I fish are won by beating the bank. I think salinity levels has something to do with them not going deep as well. What Donald and James said is very true. If there is no current, then the bass will suspend way up in the water column making it hard to catch them. If you are going to try it look for ledges and humps. Bass usually like hanging around the 12-25ft contour but they can be caught deep depending on the lake. I will say if the lake has grass in it, I do not go offshore.

Outside of Ivie and Amistad our lakes barely have 12 of water let alone 25

Re: Fishing offshore at different types of lakes question.. [Re: Jswanz58] #12833381 07/19/18 12:52 AM
G
GeoTro1 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
G
Hahaha that's why I said 12' but you'd be surprised how much water is still in those lakes.

Re: Fishing offshore at different types of lakes question.. [Re: Donald Harper] #12833389 07/19/18 01:00 AM
D
Dubee Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
D
Originally Posted By: Donald Harper
At this time of year 90% of all your Bass are off shore at Irregular Features on deep water contours. Getting them to bit there is the problem. You have to find those spots where the fish can move a short distance to feed with heavy cove. You have to be there at the right time to load the boat.

River fed lakes gives you vertical ledges. Big Bass like to hang on these the best. Finding the right spots is the key. This is where I come in with 50 years of map study, to know which are the best and how to get them to bite. Big fish hang with big fish. Smaller fish follow a different pattern. They are difficult to catch; but when you do it is going to be a big fish. You have to play upon all the senses of a deep water fish. You have to sew up the deal when you come in contact with one. Baits have to be as real as possible. Presentation is so slow it is boring. Patience and confidence in what your are using is on your side.

Creek fed systems are much shallower. Bass are scattered and are less predictable. Weather and lake conditions affects them much more than deep water lakes with ledges making it much more difficult to find the fish except during the most vulnerable times. In these systems you rely on the heavy cover to produce your fish on an early morning and late evening bite with the exception of the spawn. Creek feed reservoirs can be a night mare during the summer months. Fishing at night becomes very productive. You have to find where they live and follow them to the shallows and learn the routes. They are extremely acclimated to the ping of the depth sounder and motors running on the weekends disappearing to deeper water. Your catching is done during the week usually. As you drive the lake fish are suspended all over the lake at the same depth on any given day and that is the depth they will connect to structure to feed. That is the depth you will want to fish for them. Go as far away as you can get. Learn to fish the creek systems and river system form some access road a couple of miles form the lake. This will be one of the best Fall fishing trips you will make.

That is just so wrong.

Re: Fishing offshore at different types of lakes question.. [Re: Dubee] #12833403 07/19/18 01:10 AM
G
GeoTro1 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
G
What's so wrong about it? I find it very credible

Re: Fishing offshore at different types of lakes question.. [Re: Jswanz58] #12833415 07/19/18 01:19 AM
B
bradnitro175 Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
B
I like offshore fishing and I suck on river lakes.dunno if that helps any

Originally Posted by Trickster
BIG FAT BASS LIVES MATTER

Re: Fishing offshore at different types of lakes question.. [Re: GeoTro1] #12833435 07/19/18 01:48 AM
James Biggs Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler

There are several things I agree with & several I dont. A lot of it goes back to the style of the individual angler. He talks about fishing super slow. I believe in warm water to catch big bass you need to fish super fast. Force the big bass into making a mistake either with a 6xd or 3/4oz Tx rig.

Re: Fishing offshore at different types of lakes question.. [Re: Jswanz58] #12833437 07/19/18 01:51 AM
C
CCTX Online Content
mapquest
Online Content
mapquest
C
Id add that Ray Roberts and Lewisville are the first two lakes on the Trinity River chain
Bends in the river channel and current are key

But they fish differently
Lewisville with all the pleasure boaters, theres so much current and oxygenated water from waves crashing shallow that theres more bass that stay in less than 10fow even in the hottest weather

Theres more of an elevation change at Ray Roberts from the north end to the south end, accelerating the current in the deep river channelbetter off shore bass fishing in the summer compared to Lewisvillefrom my limited experience

[Linked Image]
Re: Fishing offshore at different types of lakes question.. [Re: Jswanz58] #12833442 07/19/18 01:58 AM
James Biggs Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
I wouldnt call either of those lakes river lakes. Every lake has a river feeding it just about.
Granbury Whitney & PK look like a river with a dam. Thats what I call a river lake.

Re: Fishing offshore at different types of lakes question.. [Re: Jswanz58] #12833443 07/19/18 01:58 AM
G
GeoTro1 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
G
I can agree with that but it just depends on the mood of the fish. The best offshore bait I have found is a hair jig ripped up off the bottom or the 6xd reeled down to the bottom and then paused. Some days they prefer that and other days they prefer a jig crawled across the bottom. It just depends on what they want.

Re: Fishing offshore at different types of lakes question.. [Re: Jswanz58] #12833696 07/19/18 01:11 PM
PEDRO H. Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
Lots of good info hear. But like James stated above,
I also think it comes down to the fisherman's style.
I like to throw a big worm and a big jig on offshore structure to get big bites.

Pete B. Hernandez
Matthew 4:19

www.funnsunboats.com
Re: Fishing offshore at different types of lakes question.. [Re: GeoTro1] #12833930 07/19/18 03:21 PM
D
Dubee Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
D

You really think 90% are deep?

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index