Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
buying a used boat from a dealer. #12241945 05/12/17 12:59 AM
F
Fish docter Offline OP
Angler
OP Offline
Angler
F
me and my wife have decided to get a boat towards the end of the year. I'm pretty stoked about it. I'm only 24 and really don't know what to look for, ill probably have 5-8k to put down. and my price range will probably be between 15-20k. are there and specific motor/electric problems in certain makes and models that I should stay away from? and how many hours is too much? i know i have a long way to go, but when a "new" boat is in your future. you get excited.

Cast it, reel it, jerk it.
Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: buying a used boat from a dealer. [Re: Fish docter] #12242012 05/12/17 01:36 AM
S
Stepnpress Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
S
You will get endless answers on here. Only thing I will say is that I would stay away from the Yamaha hpdi motors. As far as the boat itself, it's kinda like ford vs Chevy. Personally I love my Ranger 520

Re: buying a used boat from a dealer. [Re: Fish docter] #12242026 05/12/17 01:43 AM
S
squib Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
S
My advice is to avoid buying a used boat from a dealer. I'm shocked at what dealers charge for the same boats I see for sale from private sellers (for thousands less). Line up your own financing and wait until deer season starts for a good deal. Pay a mechanic a few hundred to check out the motor. Avoid wood transom if you can. HPDIs are fine if you stay away from the 250s and 300s. The 200 HPDIs are pretty bullet proof.

Re: buying a used boat from a dealer. [Re: Fish docter] #12242028 05/12/17 01:43 AM
GIG'EM AGGIES Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
I wouldn't rule out buying from an individual. If you have good credit there are many places to get it financed and you'll pay less buying from an individual. You'll get lots of advice on here, some good and some not. First and foremost don't get in a hurry and secondly you have to like the boat, the rest involves making sure all components of the boat are working properly. Good luck.

I am a Senager. (Senior teenager) I have everything that I wanted as a teenager, only 50 years later. I get an allowance every month. I have PU truck and a bass boat, I am blessed.
Conscience never acquits, it either accuses or excuses.
Re: buying a used boat from a dealer. [Re: Fish docter] #12242065 05/12/17 01:55 AM
5Redman8 Online Content
TFF Team Angler
Online Content
TFF Team Angler
I agree....NO HPDI

I ruled them out when buying my last boat

Re: buying a used boat from a dealer. [Re: Fish docter] #12242075 05/12/17 01:59 AM
F
Fish docter Offline OP
Angler
OP Offline
Angler
F
ive been searching, I do agree on the overpriced boats at dealers, but I would assume it would make it easier finding a used boat from a dealer with service records. I may be wrong on this. that and my credit isnt all that great yet. but maybe by the time comes it will be. I have a few credit cards, but I have a few bad things on my credit, so it goes up and down every month. it fluctuates at around 620-630. I was thinking if that's still the case and I was to get a boat I could get it up a little more for our house purchase in a few years

Last edited by Fish docter; 05/12/17 02:00 AM.

Re: buying a used boat from a dealer. [Re: Fish docter] #12242112 05/12/17 02:09 AM
danceswithbass Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
I have always bought new boats but bought a second boat used from an individual. I would agree with my fellow Aggie above, dont get in a hurry. Had to fight through dealing with a couple of jackwagons that didnt have the title in their name (had tried to title skip) etc but ended up with a boat that was basically identical to what a dealer was stuck on 5K more. Checking out the boats at a dealer is time efficient to then lock in on what you want...for example for me I was focused on skeeters and then I learned from sitting in a couple that skeeters aint a great fit for a 6'4" guy. It did cost me $110 to have a mechanic pull the hours and do a compression check on it. If you go the private party route, PM me and I can shoot you my lessons learned on my three month journey.

Re: buying a used boat from a dealer. [Re: danceswithbass] #12242118 05/12/17 02:12 AM
F
Fish docter Offline OP
Angler
OP Offline
Angler
F
Originally Posted By: danceswithbass
I have always bought new boats but bought a second boat used from an individual. I would agree with my fellow Aggie above, dont get in a hurry. Had to fight through dealing with a couple of jackwagons that didnt have the title in their name (had tried to title skip) etc but ended up with a boat that was basically identical to what a dealer was stuck on 5K more. Checking out the boats at a dealer is time efficient to then lock in on what you want...for example for me I was focused on skeeters and then I learned from sitting in a couple that skeeters aint a great fit for a 6'4" guy. It did cost me $110 to have a mechanic pull the hours and do a compression check on it. If you go the private party route, PM me and I can shoot you my lessons learned on my three month journey.

I'm 6,4 as well. what would you recommend for us tall guys?

Re: buying a used boat from a dealer. [Re: Fish docter] #12242147 05/12/17 02:27 AM
danceswithbass Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
Sent you a PM

Re: buying a used boat from a dealer. [Re: Fish docter] #12242217 05/12/17 02:50 AM
A
Andrew Y'Barbo Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
A
Dealers will have better financing usually.

Also, I know we inspect our used boats with a fine tooth comb. We want everyone happy at the end of the day. Most all large reputable dealers will take care of you.

Re: buying a used boat from a dealer. [Re: Fish docter] #12242242 05/12/17 03:01 AM
F
Fish docter Offline OP
Angler
OP Offline
Angler
F
that's why i was looking into going to a dealer. I'm only 24 and not that experienced with boats to know exactly what to look for. thanks guys. I'm sure ill have more questions later. i cant wait, i love being on the water. hopefully my little ones will to in a few years.

Re: buying a used boat from a dealer. [Re: Fish docter] #12242253 05/12/17 03:06 AM
Doing it for the fans since 71 Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
I have a 250 hpdi....Ring free and no ethanol gas is the trick. If you abuse the motor yes it will crash. I have 300 hrs on mine and never had an issue. It's like anything else take care of it and do your homework.

Re: buying a used boat from a dealer. [Re: Fish docter] #12242282 05/12/17 03:24 AM
J
JoeFriday Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
J
Originally Posted By: Fish docter
ive been searching, I do agree on the overpriced boats at dealers, but I would assume it would make it easier finding a used boat from a dealer with service records. I may be wrong on this. that and my credit isnt all that great yet. but maybe by the time comes it will be. I have a few credit cards, but I have a few bad things on my credit, so it goes up and down every month. it fluctuates at around 620-630. I was thinking if that's still the case and I was to get a boat I could get it up a little more for our house purchase in a few years

In theory, there should be some security in buying a used boat from a dealer. Not all dealers are created equal, and some would put anything up for sale regardless of what they know about the condition. I agree with others on the HPDI. Some have had good luck with them, others not so much. If some rebuilders won't touch them, that should be a sign of them being a bit cantankerous to get right. What I would say is to look for the boat you want regardless of where it is. Get it checked out and then work a deal you are happy with. Just know going into it that dealers have overhead they have to pay for and individuals do not. If you happen to find one with a lien, sometimes you'll hear "I've got to get my payoff for it." The boat is worth what it is regardless of the payoff. If it is worth less, that's the sellers worry and not yours.

Just a guess, but in the price range you are looking, I would expect service records to be the exception rather than the rule.

This space for rent
Re: buying a used boat from a dealer. [Re: Fish docter] #12242422 05/12/17 10:45 AM
GIG'EM AGGIES Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
I'm going to throw this out there and you can do what you want with it. If your credit is suspect you could end up paying upwards of 20% interest on a boat loan and you'd be shocked to know what the final price of the boat will end up being. If you have $8000 for a down payment you could get a much later aluminum boat and motor and not have to worry about wood transoms or cracked fiberglass plus they are easier to store and operate. I doubt you're going to be fishing tournaments so an aluminum boat would let you get into fishing and not have monthly payments. You must remember there are other expenses that go along with the boat, you'll need to buy some PFD's for the family, registrations, tackle, maybe upgrade your rod and reels, etc. And you might want to upgrade the electronics. Lots of things to consider. Being able to be on the water without monthly payments can make fishing a lot more enjoyable. Keep the boat a couple of years, place the money you were going to spend on payments in a savings account and then go for a bigger and nicer boat. I fished out of an aluminum boat for years and they're not that bad. Wind can be an issue but there are always places to launch and fish where you can still be safe. Just a thought and alternative to get you on the water without the headaches of monthly payments. Good luck.

I am a Senager. (Senior teenager) I have everything that I wanted as a teenager, only 50 years later. I get an allowance every month. I have PU truck and a bass boat, I am blessed.
Conscience never acquits, it either accuses or excuses.
Re: buying a used boat from a dealer. [Re: Fish docter] #12242441 05/12/17 11:28 AM
EastTexasBassin Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
I bought my used boat from a dealer and it was a far better deal than anything I found for sale from individuals. There's also the convenience of having them take care of the title and registration.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide