Thanks to all #11919417 11/06/16 01:48 PM
M
McKinneyMike Offline OP
Angler
OP Offline
Angler
M
Hey all,

I am not a new fisherman, but this is my first year to own my own boat. I have fished farm ponds (stock tanks) and small lakes most of my life. I was a co-angler for a time in a bass club back in the 90's too. Started raising a family and stopped fishing with the club.

I bought my boat late in the year to try to get this thing started (I bought it in late June). I started out trying to fish the same way if I were still walking the the banks, beat the shallows. Wrong strategy in 95+ temps, except for the occasional dink here and there.

I am mainly fishing Ray Roberts this season as it's the closest big lake to me and I am trying to learn how to find fish out on the lake, how to use and understand how my boat works and its demeanor. Next is learning how my graph operates, what it is capable of showing me and then hopefully understanding some of that. Then there is the planning, using topo maps to look for places the night or week before, that hopefully will give me the best chance to find fish. I am still waiting to catch anything over 4 lbs this year out on Ray Roberts, but I am gaining more and more confidence every trip out in the boat. My personal best came from a family stock tank and that fish which I could not weigh, but she measured 23 1/2 inches in length and was ready to spawn. My heart was pounding out of my chest. I then caught on my next cast to where I caught her, hooked a 22 1/4" female ready to spawn that also hit my spinnerbait and then finally a 21 incher, also ready to pop made for quite a trifecta and a lifelong memory. All from an area less than 10 SF in size. Never had a day like that since, but hope one day land a DD.

James Biggs was kind enough to take me out for a day of teaching and helped me to gain a better understanding of how bass migrate, when and why they move, where to look for them given time of year, make up of a lake and water temps and weather conditions. A lot to soak up and remember in an 8 hour day and still trying to attempt to catch a few fish. James is a super teacher and a great guy too.

I just have to say that this is by far the most friendly, caring and sharing forum of any kind that I have ever been a part of by far. I have had the pleasure of meeting Mike Keenan here on the forum and he accepting my offer to go fishing together. I have really been enjoying learning from someone that has a tremendous amount of time on Ray Roberts. He has been willing to answer all of my sometimes stupid questions and he has been kind enough to share many of his favorite spots on the lake. It doesn't hurt that he is also a great guy with a kind heart and an easy going attitude.

I hope that I can get to where I can give back what many of you have given me so far and again a big thank you for making the TFF a really cool place to learn, laugh and enjoy talking about this great sport. You all rock this sport and Texas fishing!

Last edited by McKinneyMike; 11/06/16 05:57 PM.
Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: Thanks to all [Re: McKinneyMike] #11919528 11/06/16 02:52 PM
dandeeks Offline
Angler
Angler
I'm from Toronto Canada and have been living/fishing here for 3 years. I could not agree more wink

stay classy Texas!

Re: Thanks to all [Re: McKinneyMike] #11919535 11/06/16 02:55 PM
krawlin 47 Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
Really some awesome folks here for sure. Lots of information and help in so many different ways.

cheers

Whether you think you can or you can't, you are probably right.
Re: Thanks to all [Re: McKinneyMike] #11919596 11/06/16 03:54 PM
Donald Harper Online Happy
TFF Guru
Online Happy
TFF Guru
Super write up. Thanks for sharing. You are on the right track. Fish with those that are in the know like Mr. Biggs and the short cuts to success will be unbelievable. Concentrate on just this one lake until you have it mastered with the best spots on the lake. If you have read my post on Shallow to Deep you will know what that means. I truly believe using maps and time on the water is the key; so hang in there with it and good fishing.

Each person you work with holds some promise to your future success.
Websiite Sponsors:
www.eletewater.com - Staying Hydrated
www.lakeoviachic.com - Booking Mexico Trips
20 Hot Spot Mapping - GPS Contour Chips - Custom Spinner Baits - Jigs -Spooks
Pure Extracts - Minnow-Night Crawler-Crayfish-Craylic

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide