Print Thread
Fork at night #11721505 07/14/16 12:53 AM
F
fishysmell Offline OP
Green Horn
OP Offline
Green Horn
F
If you guys were going to or do fish fork at night where would you start? I've always heard about fishing the lights but I only know of one dock with night time lights and the owner is not of the friendly sort. Anytime we even come close he will come down and throw cast nets or all,of his poles out and set them in rod holders. Not looking for specifics but just areas in general that work at night. Never been out there at night.

Personal best

LMB Ray Hubbard 7.1 lbs
LMB Lake Fork. 8.2 lbs
Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: Fork at night [Re: fishysmell] #11721580 07/14/16 01:45 AM
K.D. Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
The stereotypical answer for night fishing is to fish the same areas you would during the day but shallower.

The fish aren't moving great distances, remember? And the fish that don't live around that lighted dock don't know about it. They are still in the same areas they are during the day. Forget the dock with the grumpy owner... Too many other places to catch them

I've caught fish fishing flukes at night. They will have no problem finding your bait.

Re: Fork at night [Re: fishysmell] #11721742 07/14/16 03:48 AM
K
ko bass attack 27 Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
K
Go by old Grumpy's dock about 1a.m. and see if he comes down to visit. There are several lighted docks in Dale creek and the back of Little Mustang. I like to fish a jig at night, a 10" Blue Fleck power worm ain't bad either.

Re: Fork at night [Re: fishysmell] #11721781 07/14/16 04:50 AM
A
Anchorman Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
A
Anytime you fish around lights this time of year try this. Before getting too close position your boat to where your cast just reaches about where your boat would be if you were set up to cast to the dock. In other words fish further out first. About where the glow of the light stops. If you don't get bit move in closer.

I have spent many many hours on the lake at night bass fishing. Most of that time I fished alone and discovered a few things that go against the grain a little. This is how I came to find these fish out further away:
I always positioned my boat out a ways where I could just cast to the dock. I didn't want to spook any fish around the dock so I stayed back as far as possible but still reach the dock with my casts. I caught a lot of fish this way but I found myself getting a lot of bites right under the boat. I almost exclusively used Texas rigged worms and craw worms and I would work them all the way back to the boat. Often I would get bit just as I started to reel it in for a new cast....under the boat 15-20 yards from the dock. I then noticed this is where the edge of the glow of the light was. So I put two and two together and started staying back further and casting to the edge of the glow before I moved in. When I started this technique I increased the number of fish and size of fish I was catching. I then formed the theory that bass will tend to hang back in the shadows and move in around the light every so often to feed on the bait fish swarming under the lights. Bass don't hang out under the lights. They hang back and ambush when they get ready to feed near the lights. This is especially true this time of year when the water heats up and they are in the deeper cooler water. They will hang out where they are safe and comfortable NEAR where they know they can go eat any time they want. I have caught more fish on the edge of the glow than around the docks or under the lights. And it isn't even close.

This time of year focus on the areas around points with lights. If you see lighted docks near main lake or secondary points give them a try. If you don't have that you can always use a dark color short arm spinner bait with a single large Colorado blade and have some fun in the shallows near deep water. Or get out on them points and do some crankin. I've caught a lot of bass at night out in the dark chunking and winding crank baits. If you choose this route I'd focus around points and secondary points.

If you prefer slow fishing try a 7" black power worm, texas rigged, with a bead between the hook and weight. The power worm changed my life when I bass fished at night back in the day.

Be safe and have some fun. Don't go out without a good spot light and wear that life vest when running. Good Luck!

If it ain't yours don't mess with it!
Need a friendly place to talk hunting? www.talkhunting.com

Re: Fork at night [Re: fishysmell] #11721815 07/14/16 08:53 AM
B
Bobby Milam Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
B
I did the lights at Fork but they started to slow down and the gar took over. After fishing my home lake with no lights, I've decided that I almost prefer no lights. If you fish it during the day, try those same areas but move in a little shallower.

Try drop shot. The last few times I was skunked but partner caught on dropshot

Last edited by Bobby Milam; 07/14/16 08:55 AM.
Re: Fork at night [Re: fishysmell] #11721956 07/14/16 12:49 PM
F
fishysmell Offline OP
Green Horn
OP Offline
Green Horn
F
As always- thank you guys for the info! Old grumpys Dock is in little mustang. I found those just by showing up early in the morning. But with anchor mans advice , I just might get one of grumpys bass! Lol roflmao
I really do appreciate the guys on the forum that spare their knowledge!!!!

Personal best

LMB Ray Hubbard 7.1 lbs
LMB Lake Fork. 8.2 lbs
Re: Fork at night [Re: Bobby Milam] #11721983 07/14/16 12:59 PM
J
Jeezy Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
J
Originally Posted By: Bobby Milam
I almost prefer no lights.

Agreed.

“The more you know about Donald Trump, the less likely you are to vote for him. The more you know about his business enterprises, the less successful he looks. The more you know about his political giving, the less Republican he looks.” - Lindsey Graham, 2016
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide