Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
The 'Ettiquete' Posts Turned On My Memory..... #11493718 03/22/16 06:38 PM
P
Phototex Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
P
The only time I really got ticked off while fishing was during a tournament way back in the Jurassic (mid-1970s) on Medina Lake. It wasn't a fisherman, but a ski boat. My partner and I were working a bank with ledges about 50 feet away from us when here comes a fast boat pulling a skier. The boat buzzed us on the offshore side, but the skier went over both our lines. Had we not seen it coming, the tow rope would have taken our heads off. Man, we were both PO'd and scared. They were all laughing as they sped off. A few minutes later, here they came again. I picked up a rod I had previously rigged with a 3/4 oz slip sinker, a big worm, and a 5/0 hook. They tried the same thing again, and I made my cast - wrapped that terminal tackle around the skier's ankle, too. I never even tried to set the hook. As my line broke, naturally the guy went "tail over teacup." That ticked off the boat driver, too, but when he idled over toward us after picking his friend out of the water, he changed his mind and sped away when he saw my partner glare back at him and quietly pull a .357 magnum out of his tackle box. We were so mad that we never even look for his boat numbers. They did leave about 7-8 empty beer cans floating behind them when they left.

I guess we were lucky that day, even though we never weighed in a fish.

Last edited by phototex; 03/22/16 06:46 PM.

PB: 10-01 on a Ribbit frog
Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: The 'Ettiquete' Posts Turned On My Memory..... [Re: Phototex] #11493737 03/22/16 06:51 PM
B
Brad R Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
B
You Vietnam vets are just generally a bit scary, anyway. Not even sure it was the pistol.

They left behind 7-8 empty beer cans . . . and likely some urine soaked boat carpet!

Thank you for your service!

Brad

Edit: Just noticed my name has "pro angler" by it. Fish are laughing all around the local lakes!

Last edited by Brad R; 03/22/16 06:52 PM.
Re: The 'Ettiquete' Posts Turned On My Memory..... [Re: Phototex] #11494120 03/22/16 09:25 PM
T
timwins31 Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
T
Lol man o man this is gonna go well. Classy move pulling a gun on some jerk kids.

I was fishing Nasworthy years ago and had a wakeboat with a kid on a board behind turn the corner and almost run us over, the kid had to let go so the rope didn't pass over us. We did have a little discussion about water safety but I didn't have to resort to illegally brandishing a weapon. And yes I had one in the boat.

Some of you guys take your right to own a firearm way too lightly.

Re: The 'Ettiquete' Posts Turned On My Memory..... [Re: Phototex] #11494292 03/22/16 11:22 PM
EastTexasBassin Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
He didn't say they were kids and their incident was no accident. If someone was idling towards me with the intention of causing trouble I'd have my gun out for sure.

Re: The 'Ettiquete' Posts Turned On My Memory..... [Re: Phototex] #11494570 03/23/16 01:59 AM
G
grout-scout Online Sleepy
TFF Guru
Online Sleepy
TFF Guru
G
loco

Re: The 'Ettiquete' Posts Turned On My Memory..... [Re: EastTexasBassin] #11494853 03/23/16 03:31 AM
T
timwins31 Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
T
Originally Posted By: EastTexasBassin
He didn't say they were kids and their incident was no accident. If someone was idling towards me with the intention of causing trouble I'd have my gun out for sure.

Then you're not only a coward too, you'd be a criminal.

Re: The 'Ettiquete' Posts Turned On My Memory..... [Re: timwins31] #11494873 03/23/16 03:42 AM
921 Phoenix Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
Originally Posted By: timwins31

I am not sure where to stand on this issue. We live in a different world and need to be prepared for the worst. I hope I never get to were I need to carry a gun to the lake but I don't want to be just another funeral either.

Re: The 'Ettiquete' Posts Turned On My Memory..... [Re: Phototex] #11494892 03/23/16 03:51 AM
C
champ 198 Offline
Angler
Angler
C
I am a vietnam vet,91st medi vac hospital chu lai. I don't carry a gun in my boat or on me.Only carry a rifle for big game hunts.So we aren't all crazy.

Re: The 'Ettiquete' Posts Turned On My Memory..... [Re: Phototex] #11494924 03/23/16 04:10 AM
T
timwins31 Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
T
I just can't believe grown men would pull a gun on someone without having a little better reason than this. Seems really pathetic to me and there's no question it's illegal. I've had a concealed license for years now and I've never had to consider pulling it. If incidents like this are the reason you carry, you don't deserve the license or the gun. It means that YOU'RE a danger to others and you probably have a size issue, if you know what I mean.

It gives ALL gun owners a bad name, makes us all look like wack jobs like these two.

Re: The 'Ettiquete' Posts Turned On My Memory..... [Re: Phototex] #11495169 03/23/16 12:54 PM
G
grout-scout Online Sleepy
TFF Guru
Online Sleepy
TFF Guru
G
UIBW right there!

ultimate Internet badazz warrior

Re: The 'Ettiquete' Posts Turned On My Memory..... [Re: Phototex] #11495174 03/23/16 12:58 PM
W
WAWI Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
W
It didn't happen

Re: The 'Ettiquete' Posts Turned On My Memory..... [Re: 921 Phoenix] #11495340 03/23/16 02:05 PM
EastTexasBassin Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
Originally Posted By: 921 Phoenix

I am not sure where to stand on this issue. We live in a different world and need to be prepared for the worst. I hope I never get to were I need to carry a gun to the lake but I don't want to be just another funeral either.

We do live in a different world. My cousin had a confrontation with some wacko at the lake. My cousin was the "tough guy" and kept his gun put away. The wacko got his gun out first and shot my cousin. My cousin is dead. So call me a coward, I really don't care. You go be the tough guy and get shot too. We'll all make courteous posts about thoughts and prayers for your family

Re: The 'Ettiquete' Posts Turned On My Memory..... [Re: Phototex] #11495349 03/23/16 02:08 PM
B
BarG Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
B
I have had more etiquette issues with fishermen than any other segment of the boat population. We wakesurf and wake board regularly and the fishermen seem to think they own the entire shoreline once they are on a spot. The thing that irritates me the most is once we have a 'line' picked out along a shore you can see the boat start to ease out from the shore line into deeper water in our path... you pass and they move back to normal fishing... I have had lures chunked at me, flipped off numerous times, people holding up guns, cut off within 10-15 yds while we were underway pulling a skier, had bass boats jump our wake directly behind our skier.

The problems I have with Wally's tend to be ignorance side and the problems with fishermen tend to be on the [censored] side.

Re: The 'Ettiquete' Posts Turned On My Memory..... [Re: EastTexasBassin] #11495392 03/23/16 02:26 PM
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
Originally Posted By: 921 Phoenix

We do live in a different world. My cousin had a confrontation with some wacko at the lake. My cousin was the "tough guy" and kept his gun put away. The wacko got his gun out first and shot my cousin. My cousin is dead. So call me a coward, I really don't care. You go be the tough guy and get shot too. We'll all make courteous posts about thoughts and prayers for your family

East Texas Bassin I may not have worded my respond very well. I actually agree with you on this. I guess a better way of saying it is this. I just hate that it has gotten to the point that I need to take a gun to protect me or my family. I have no problem with carrying a gun to protect myself or family. I just a hate the fact I need to while I am trying to relax fishing because of the people fishing that are so aggress.

Re: The 'Ettiquete' Posts Turned On My Memory..... [Re: BarG] #11495471 03/23/16 02:51 PM
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
Originally Posted By: BarG
I have had more etiquette issues with fishermen than any other segment of the boat population. We wakesurf and wake board regularly and the fishermen seem to think they own the entire shoreline once they are on a spot. The thing that irritates me the most is once we have a 'line' picked out along a shore you can see the boat start to ease out from the shore line into deeper water in our path... you pass and they move back to normal fishing... I have had lures chunked at me, flipped off numerous times, people holding up guns, cut off within 10-15 yds while we were underway pulling a skier, had bass boats jump our wake directly behind our skier.

The problems I have with Wally's tend to be ignorance side and the problems with fishermen tend to be on the [censored] side.

I am older and I haven't water skied in twenty years but I do know a little bit about this. We water skied about 15 weekends a year for ten years when we were younger. The problem with skiers and wake boarders is they want the smoother water to play in. this just happens to be the water closest to the shore which is where the fishermen are usually fishing. The water skiers pick a line to get to the smoother water and they don't care that they are running straight at another boat or so close that if their had been a mechanical problem they would run over the bass fisherman with their big ski boat because they do not want to ski in rough water. Their is two sides to this story and I have been on both sides of the story. I know as I have gotten older that I was wrong in skiing that close to the fishermen and putting them in so much danger just so I could show off. just my .02

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide