Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Anyone using a Ulterra??? #11398216 02/07/16 07:01 PM
mwbmod74 Offline OP
Angler
OP Offline
Angler
Its time to replace my TM, and I am wondering if anyone here has a Ulterra, and if so, how do you like it??? I do fish offshore quite a bit, but also get neck deep in timber, so that's why im asking for any feedback.
If I do get an Ulterra im going to shed power poles I think. Thanks in advance...

Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: Anyone using a Ulterra??? [Re: mwbmod74] #11398271 02/07/16 07:39 PM
B
Bobby Milam Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
B
I have the Terrova which is basically the Ulterra without the self deploy. I love it and would never go back to a cable steer again. It is by no means perfect. The spot lock, which by the way is why I bought it and what I use the most, works adequately. It keeps you in the general area 5-10' from the lock. The more wind and waves you have, the more accurate it seems to be. It will take some getting used to but I drive through the stumps as well as I do with a cable steer. The ability to let the trolling motor do it's own work while you fish or tie on lures is great. I wear the remote around my neck and use it 99% of the time. The foot control stays on the deck and I only use to make corrections if my hands are busy with a fish. If you get one just give yourself time to get used to using a remote instead of relying on your foot before you decide that you don't like it. Don't plan on using the foot control much as most people don't. It reacts nothing like a cable foot control and you'll find yourself over steering because you get no feedback. The features of the ilink paired to your humminbird and lake master chips are great.

I don't think that you'll want to get rid of the power poles. If you are shallow enough to use them, I'd rather deploy them and keep my boat locked down in one spot than the moving back and forth that the spot lock will do plus they offer less chance of spooking the fish. I use my spot lock in shallow and it works but I'd still like power poles. Where the spot lock will really shine is in deep water where the only other anchoring option is to drop an anchor.

I'm in a 15' boat and have friends with 20 footers. Sometimes they will avoid deep water on windy days because even with their boats they don't want to fight holding their spot on their trolling motors. I can sit out there on and with waves crashing over the bow, still hold my spot with no effort. They are also very easy on the battery. I have a 12v system and my last trolling motor, I had to be mindful of my usage to make it last a full day. With the Terrova, I use it all day with no regard to the usage and have never ran a battery down.

Hope this helps.

Re: Anyone using a Ulterra??? [Re: mwbmod74] #11398456 02/07/16 09:45 PM
P
pro dirt raker Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
P
While I do not have an Ulterra, I do have a Power drive V2, which other than the power deploy and trim are the same thing I believe.

I will never go back to a cable steer, the convenience of being able to walk away from the trolling motor is something I cannot give up. Spot lock, record track and heading lock are great features.

BUT - I have fished a ton with the Minn Kota electric steer and the Motor Guide Xi5. Get the MG Xi5, the software & motor controlling the steer and spot lock are far superior to the Minn Kota. Can anyone comment as to whether Minn Kota has made improvements with the new models?

Re: Anyone using a Ulterra??? [Re: mwbmod74] #11398460 02/07/16 09:49 PM
Lee in Texas Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
Was thinking just like you BUT, keep this in mind. Was a 'deal breaker' for me.
If your rig has a recessed TM well, you will HAVE to fill it in. The wireless foot control.....will require a flush/deck level mount.
Man I like all the other features...but, that one was the 'deal breaker' for me
JMO
God Bless
Lee

http://www.finfeatherresort.com/index.asp - Best Folks on Toledo Bend !!!
http://bassclubofthewest.angelfire.com/ -West Ft Worth Bass Club
http://www.gleasonfishing.com/ Darold Gleason (Toledo Bend Guide)
2004 Stratos Complete Restoration 2014!!! With Much Gratitude to:
Cal's Marine/Azle,Texas (817)300-2827
Re: Anyone using a Ulterra??? [Re: Lee in Texas] #11398529 02/07/16 10:34 PM
mwbmod74 Offline OP
Angler
OP Offline
Angler
Originally Posted By: Lee in Texas
If your rig has a recessed TM well, you will HAVE to fill it in. The wireless foot control.....will require a flush/deck level mount.
JMO
God Bless
Lee

So the foot control is too wide to fit in a recess well??? I am definitely not filling that in..

Re: Anyone using a Ulterra??? [Re: mwbmod74] #11398532 02/07/16 10:35 PM
B
Bobby Milam Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
B
Just do what most do, throw it in a storage compartment for emergency use only.

Re: Anyone using a Ulterra??? [Re: mwbmod74] #11398871 02/08/16 12:49 AM
B
Bruce Bullard Offline
Angler
Angler
B
I love my Terrova, contour follow and spotluck are great, 20 foot Ranger,I did a little trimming on the recess hole and mounted the foot control level with the deck. I can use all controls and I can stand level doing it. A lot easier on my back.

Re: Anyone using a Ulterra??? [Re: mwbmod74] #11399770 02/08/16 12:32 PM
N
Nutman Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
N
I wish I knew how to post pictures. I put a plexi glass covering over my well and just put the foot control on top of the plexi glass. Looks very neat and the foot control is so low profile that it does not get in the way or cause an issue. I have my 7" screen, Hydrowave and the foot control all right there on the bow and it is very clean.
Lee, the advantages of the Terrova/Ulterra far outway the non use of the recessed TM tray. Especially the Ulterra at our ages. I would never go back to cable steer or hand steer.
I think it is the best "option" I have ever put on a boat.

Re: Anyone using a Ulterra??? [Re: mwbmod74] #11399773 02/08/16 12:35 PM
Lee in Texas Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: mwbmod74
Originally Posted By: Lee in Texas
JMO
God Bless
Lee

So the foot control is too wide to fit in a recess well??? I am definitely not filling that in..

Yes sir, I called Minn Kota. Plus, they have no expectations of any kind of a 'fix'..!!

I do like all the other features but man, I like my recessed foot control.

JMO
God Bless
Lee

http://www.finfeatherresort.com/index.asp - Best Folks on Toledo Bend !!!
http://bassclubofthewest.angelfire.com/ -West Ft Worth Bass Club
http://www.gleasonfishing.com/ Darold Gleason (Toledo Bend Guide)
2004 Stratos Complete Restoration 2014!!! With Much Gratitude to:
Cal's Marine/Azle,Texas (817)300-2827
Re: Anyone using a Ulterra??? [Re: Lee in Texas] #11399853 02/08/16 01:30 PM
TxPanhandle Online Content
Angler
Online Content
Angler
I have a Ulterra and the remote stow and deploy feature is great to be able to be anywhere in your boat and be able to operate it plus you can unload your boat and bring it to the dock without being in your boat. On my previous boat I had a terrova and. I cut two 2"x6" and put in the recessed tray and worked out fine.

Retired to Fish
10 Skeeter ZX22 Bay
200 HP Yamaha Sho
Hummminbird Electronics
2015 GMC 2500HD
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide