Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Old Stories From the Past #11331738 01/08/16 05:34 PM
Donald Harper Online Happy OP
TFF Guru
OP Online Happy
TFF Guru
What have you heard about or experienced?
-Strange techniques that produced once and never again.
-Big stringers caught under certain conditions.
-Weather conditions that seem to produce the best.
-Fishing with an old timer that caught fish and you didn't.
-Finding fish on the depth finder then actually getting them to bite.

Here is a great story on catching a fish on the first cast. The first older gentleman I fished with in Texas ask me that question; "Have you ever wondered why you catch a fish on the first cast then never get another bite on that lure"? It has happened to me over these 60 years that I have been chasing Bass hundreds of times and I never thought anything about it until I fished with this man.

His theory was that the lure was laying in the sun on the deck and was very hot. Bass are cold blooded just like a rattle snake and are constantly seeking pray that has a different body temperature than their own. A worm or spinner bait for example thrown in the shallows is several degrees warmer than the water and represents a critter that has been in a bush or on a rock sunning then enters the water. More often than not it gets eaten immediately as it enters the water. For the first 20 years of fishing I threw spinner baits exclusively and this is what I did about this presentation to win two tournaments in a row in early spring when the water was cold.

I had notices that the blades were hot laying in the sun. I could usually catch a fish on the first cast if I was on fish then nothing else until I picked up another spinner bait. I developed a 6 cell flash light that could be plugged into a cigarette lighter. I lined the inside with cork and aluminum foil to hold the heat and used the tail light of a car flipped over and shinning inside to heat up the blades of the baits. I kept a dozen spinner baits tied on and hanging in this HOT BOX. It was somewhat time consuming to unscrew the lens cover, take one out and replace the one just used; but it worked. It produced 12 keeper fish on 12 consecutive cast to win both tournaments. This was done at the beginning of Feb. on one lake and the end of Feb. on another lake. This gave me the confidence to know that it was working. The down fall is that the blades being very hot would be cold by the time I retrieved it back to the boat and had to change on every cast. If you were not on fish you worked your azz off and I lost interest pretty quickly.

Each person you work with holds some promise to your future success.
Websiite Sponsors:
www.eletewater.com - Staying Hydrated
www.lakeoviachic.com - Booking Mexico Trips
20 Hot Spot Mapping - GPS Contour Chips - Custom Spinner Baits - Jigs -Spooks
Pure Extracts - Minnow-Night Crawler-Crayfish-Craylic

Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: Old Stories From the Past [Re: Donald Harper] #11331744 01/08/16 05:37 PM
Huckleberry Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
I have heard this before and I believe it.

Re: Old Stories From the Past [Re: Donald Harper] #11332129 01/08/16 08:18 PM
TwoLakes Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
Sounds like some snap swivels might be in order. eek

I can't fault the logic. Maybe Livingston will come out with a bait with sound and heat?

Re: Old Stories From the Past [Re: Donald Harper] #11332304 01/08/16 09:29 PM
B
Blue Moon Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
B
Love old stories...

Re: Old Stories From the Past [Re: Donald Harper] #11332446 01/08/16 11:01 PM
Donald Harper Online Happy OP
TFF Guru
OP Online Happy
TFF Guru
Sense then I have developed a capsule and keeper that I can put on spinner baits, jigs, and Trigs. that will make the bait hot for 10 minutes of fishing time. Also just the capsule can be placed in the belly of the hollow belly swim baits. It has helped me fool many Bass over 10 lbs. and win numerous tournaments over the years. The cylinders are loaded with a chemical that is biodegradable and is activated by lake water entering the chamber. A jig is a wonderful bait to use these on. A spider rattle keeper will hold two of these and keep the bait hot for this presentation; then just change them out every 10 minutes or so to keep the bait hot. PATENT PENDING. HA....

Each person you work with holds some promise to your future success.
Websiite Sponsors:
www.eletewater.com - Staying Hydrated
www.lakeoviachic.com - Booking Mexico Trips
20 Hot Spot Mapping - GPS Contour Chips - Custom Spinner Baits - Jigs -Spooks
Pure Extracts - Minnow-Night Crawler-Crayfish-Craylic

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide