Forums59
Topics1,037,816
Posts13,935,011
Members144,150
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
WHY I SUCKED AT THE FORREST WOOD CUP - Recap with pictures #11091344 09/09/15 05:29 AM
Clark Reehm Online Content OP
Pro Angler
OP Online Content
Pro Angler
2015 Forrest Wood Cup Recap... A little long and loaded with pictures

Ive always taken the approach that you learn way more from a butt whoopin than a win. At this point in my career, I have learned far more than my fair share. Wounds have been licked, heads have been scratched and enough time of reflection has passed where I can put this recap together and move on with my life albeit much smarter.

The Forrest Wood Cup The biggest payout every year in professional fishing and I had a one in fifty shot at winning a half a million dollars! That would be life changing for almost any one of the guys in the field especially those living paycheck to paycheck. Times are lean and sponsorship dollars are getting harder to find especially in East Texas where the oilfield industry is in a major downturn. Dont get me wrong, winning a major event is what we all dream about but it is hard to pay for health insurance, truck notes and groceries with plaques and trophies. I fish to pay bills. My goal coming into this event was to win as much money as I could in this no entry fee event because that is potentially get ahead money or that extra cushion to help take a chunk out of debt. The best part about the Forrest Wood Cup is win or lose, I was still going to walk away with at least $10,000.

Let the work begin

For me, the story of The Cup had more to do with the time I spent on Lake Ouachita in July prior to the lake going off limits than the actual tournament itself. Knowing that I had a guaranteed ten grand coming to me, I was able to put the Elite Angler Academy on hiatus for the summer so I could focus solely on getting ready for The Cup. In the end, I did everything I thought I could do to gain a legal advantage for this event and had the attitude that the only way I would not be successful would be if I made bad decisions or I executed poorly. I came into the official practice days brimming with confidence thanks to all of the hard work that I put in to winning.

One common idea that has almost become a mantra for successful anglers is to fish your strengths. My success typically does not hinge on my fishing ability, but more so on my skills and ability to scout and gather information, at times to a fault. The Interweb can be a wealth of information if you know how to navigate it. I spend countless hours creeping around on aerial photography and maps. I utilize an extensive waypoint management system. Given the time and resources, Ive never shied away from an opportunity to increase the habitat either. Ive cashed quite a few checks in my career thanks to elbow grease, a bow saw and a few cinder blocks. Essentially, I use every available resource I come across to help me locate and catch fish.

photo: FLW - Jody White

During the 3 weeks that I was at Ouachita I meticulously took notes for every single brushpile that I had located or sunk. I knew all the sit spots and cast angles to be able to hit my offshore targets on the first cast every single time to maximize efficiency. I had notes such as BP20 Top12 to indicate that the brush was sitting in 20 and it topped out at 12. Some of the piles were a lot deeper than others and I knew that I could possibly eliminate hitting those if they were positioned below the thermocline. Knowing the depths of all of my targets would enable me to put a possible pattern together based on this information. Most anglers neglect to factor in how tall a brushpile is when considering their productivity. Knowing this information enabled me to pull up and throw the optimum depth diving crankbait, a swimbait, counting down a fluke, etc to be able to work through the tops of the piles where suspended fish were sitting without getting hung up. Those piles that were closer to the sky would probably be better to throw topwaters over as well since those fish wouldnt have nearly as far to come up the surface to feed.

Win or lose, I thought I walked away from my scouting trip as prepared as I could be. In actuality, I did very little fishing and it was one of the only times in the 8 years that I have been fishing full time where this really felt like a job. I was wore out yet the only regret I had after the prepractice was that I wasnt able to drop as many green tops as I was hoping. I did manage to get out 64 fresh ones and I rolled out of Arkansas with over 1400 waypoints from that three week span. I was committed to the brushpiles

The next two weeks flew by as I was making amends for being gone all summer. When it was time to head back to Ouachita I decided to take a detour to Lake Fork and booked a guided trip with my buddy Mark Pack (903) 520-8085. He had been telling me the past couple of years how he had figured out how to trigger big lethargic summertime bass that were suspended in deep trees into biting. Weve all seen them on the graph and I had been trying his technique for the past couple of summers with little to no success We absolutely crushed them when most other people on the lake were struggling! Sometimes it just makes sense to hire someone to help accelerate the learning curve. Loaded with some of his personal handmade prototypes and a new weapon in my arsenal that I thought could be a player the following week, I was off to The Cup to start practicing the next day.

Official Practice

The best way to summarize the first two days of official practice was disheartening. I thought going into it that I needed to figure out how to get bigger bites not just how to get bit and catch 13+ inch keepers. I spent the vast majority of the time checking piles and other oddball structure spots I thought would produce some fish. I knew I did not have to check every single spot I had, just a fair amount of them to determine what milk run or areas I was going to fish. In the end, I checked every single one of the brushpiles I set out and did not get a single bite from any of them. It was a major blow to my confidence! I could catch fish off of some of the old trash, but catching a keeper was not easy either. Coming off the water, I did an interview with the media folks at FLW talking about my initial practice day. I pretty much admitted that I didnt catch squat yet it was a good day because it was helping me put the pieces together.

http://www.flwfishing.com/media-gallery/videos/55d16ca895cc8ae2e0d39810

Tuesday, the final day of practice, I started gaining my confidence back. I absolutely hate going into an event with a negative attitude about catching them. It took me stepping away from my game plan to figure out what I needed to do. I just went fishing and then I got dialed in.

The key was all the fish I could see on the graph were suspended in 8-12 of water. It didnt matter if it was 20 or 100 deep, all the fish were sitting in that range thanks to the thermocline that had established in 20-22. The other variable I was looking for was any sort of surface activity that told me the fish were active in my areas. They didnt necessarily have to be schooling on the surface, but I did need to at least see active bait working in the standing timber, quality fish breaking on them were simply gift fish. From what I saw on the last day of practice, I honestly thought I could easily catch 12-15lbs every day from the different areas I knew had quality fish busting and that was without a bonus kicker that I thought I might get lucky and catch off of any of the 200+ brushpiles that I had lined up. I never caught any giants but I caught enough 3+ pound fish to know I was on to something.

And then we had Wednesday off

And a front rolled through with a nasty storm

2015 Forrest Wood Cup

I have no other excuses why they didnt cooperate during the tournament.
I just cant explain it other than the weather because for the most part, there was very little activity in any of my areas on both days of the tournament. I can only assume that they fed like crazy the day before with that severe weather and front. I was left scratching my head and so were several other anglers in the field that were banking on quality schooling fish. I ended up catching a 3 pounder first thing in the morning and grinded out a couple more keepers. I did catch a ridiculous amount of 5-11 bass that would swarm your baits like a bunch of piranhas. Day two was no different and I thought I had to gamble for a big bag to make a comeback. I hurled a big swimbait for a good part of the day and mixed it up with a topwater plug. And like a [censored] fished some more unproductive brushpiles on the main lake. I ended up in 40th place with five bass for 9lbs 4oz.

There were several other pros that had the same idea that I did and they fell on their faces as well. I spoke quite a bit with one of them that spent his entire practice dropping an Aquaview camera into piles to see what if anything was holding on them. He said that every one of them was loaded with fish (I could see that on the 2D and DI) but he could verify that most of them were 6-10 spotted bass and catfish. He only saw two 4lb class largemouth in all of practice and very few other keeper largemouths. He was kicking himself in the weigh in line because he still tried to make it work and he died with it as well. Another pro I know sank about 25 tops during prepractice and he also could not get a bite off of any of them.

The difference between the pros that struggled fishing brushpiles and those that were fishing on Sunday seemed to be the location of the brush. The main lake bite was dead. It seemed like all of the traditional summertime structure spots like points, humps and ledges did not produce. The shallow brush in the backs of creeks and pockets was the deal and unfortunately, I fell victim to over thinking what should be happening and not doing what was actually going on. Bream beds did not really seem to be a factor either especially for the amount of guys that tried to make that pattern work. The preconceived patterns from Forrest Wood Cups of the past did not seem to materialize for most of the anglers.

What guys did catch fish off of wood were fishing way up the river arms and towards the back ends of creeks. They caught them junk fishing in shallow water. The trick was to hunker down in areas where you thought there was a population of fish and mine it for all it was worth trying to grind out a limit. Some guys got lucky and their topwater schooling fish cooperated as well. Unfortunately I put all of my eggs in another basket. Thats just how tournament fishing goes.

A huge congratulation goes out to Brad Knight for his historic win. Although I do not know him as well as some of the other guys on tour, I can tell you one thing about him that speaks volumes about his character, I have never heard a single negative thing about him. No rumors or speculation of getting info during restricted times. No confrontations on the water. No hole jumping. Not a single word to offend someone on or off the water. In todays pro fishing environment those anglers are getting harder and harder to find. At any weigh in finale, especially the Bassmaster Classic or the Forrest Wood Cup, a common subject amongst anglers and industry professionals a like is who we dont want to win more so than who we want to take home the trophy. Brad Knight is one of the good guys.

Lastly, I am still waiting for a bite on one of the fresh green brushpiles that I put out. It was a gamble that did not pay off on what I thought I needed to do to win. Looking back, I would not have done anything different other than sunk even more brush at other locations especially off the main lake in shallower water. In spite of my loss, I still took my ten grand to the bank!

This picture makes me feel like a winner!

After taking the summer off for the FLW and Forrest Wood Cup, I am now starting to book Elite Angler Academy classes as well as guide trips for the remainder of 2015. Last fall and winter we had some phenomenal trips typically catching 30-100 bass a day using our electronics. If you would like to learn how to break down water quickly as well as how to utilize available resources to make you a better angler, I would love an opportunity to teach you. Feel free to call or reach out on any of the social media platforms I contribute to. 2016 Partnership opportunities are available as well.

Thanks

Clark Reehm
(479)970-3388

Follow Me
https://www.facebook.com/EliteAnglerAcademy
https://twitter.com/BassmasterReehm
https://instagram.com/fish2win/

My favorite fishing partner

Gear

Cranking
The bass were primarily feeding a very small shad and this little Crankbait is one of my go to catchers. It dives about 8 and has a longer squared off bill that allows it to deflect off of standing timber pretty well. It is hard to beat Ghost Minnow anytime you are fishing clear water.
Lucky Craft SKT Mini DR Ghost Minnow
Daiwa Tatula 5:1
Seaguar Invizx 10lb
Dobyns 704CB

Schooling Fish
It is hard to beat a jigging spoon any time there is schooling activity going on. I can crow hop on the deck of my Skeeter and launch this spoon about as far as any bait in my box. I fish it a lot and probably catch several thousand fish every year on it. This is my optimum set up. You will probably see me list this on most of my future write ups because it is almost always on the deck of the boat for
War Eagle Jigging Spoon 7/8 - Nickel
Daiwa Tatula 7:1
Seaguar Abrazx 15lb
Dobyns Champion 704C

Brushpiles
You cant go wrong with a big worm in brushpiles during the heat of the summer if they are holding in the brush. Plum is a default. That Kicker Fish worm is great because it has air chambers in the tail so it floats up.
Big Worm: Kicker Fish Bait Co Ribbon tail Plum
Shimano Curado E7 7:1
Seaguar Abrazx 15lb
Dobyns Extreme 745C

Topwater
Everyone in this event had some sort of topwater walking bait tied on somewhere in their boat. It is a staple in any clear water event where you are trying to call fish up. They have a track record of catching big ones. Unfortunately, I did not have any big ones during the tournament sniff at my bait. I really like the DUO Pencil because it walks extremely easy especially on that limp Smackdown Braid. It is also has a distinctive knocking rattle that I like.
DUO Realis Pencil Ghost Minnow
Daiwa Tatula 6.3:1
Seaguar Smackdown Braid 30lb
Dobyns Champion 733C

Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: WHY I SUCKED AT THE FORREST WOOD CUP - Recap with pictures [Re: Clark Reehm] #11091366 09/09/15 08:17 AM
S
ShamrockSmith Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
S
Cool write-up. Thanks for sharing!

Re: WHY I SUCKED AT THE FORREST WOOD CUP - Recap with pictures [Re: Clark Reehm] #11091371 09/09/15 09:34 AM
T
txfsh Offline
Angler
Angler
T
Great read...Thanks Clark

You never want a drink of water till the well runs dry
Re: WHY I SUCKED AT THE FORREST WOOD CUP - Recap with pictures [Re: Clark Reehm] #11091381 09/09/15 10:30 AM
Okie Poke Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
I admire you for trying to make a living in tournament fishing. That's a very hard feat in today's time. I wish you all the luck. Thanks for such a humbling, articulate assessment of your time at the Forrest Wood Cup. GL!

😎 Dallas Cowboys....eventual Superbowl Champions 😎

Re: WHY I SUCKED AT THE FORREST WOOD CUP - Recap with pictures [Re: Clark Reehm] #11091413 09/09/15 11:13 AM
F
Fishing on a string Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
F
Very Nice, Congratulations on making the FWC.

Re: WHY I SUCKED AT THE FORREST WOOD CUP - Recap with pictures [Re: Clark Reehm] #11091471 09/09/15 11:57 AM
J
JoeFriday Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
J
Nicely written...

This space for rent
Re: WHY I SUCKED AT THE FORREST WOOD CUP - Recap with pictures [Re: Clark Reehm] #11091473 09/09/15 11:57 AM
H
H B Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
H
Best tournament recap ever. Kudos just for making the cup.

Re: WHY I SUCKED AT THE FORREST WOOD CUP - Recap with pictures [Re: Clark Reehm] #11091546 09/09/15 12:30 PM
C
Chuck.norris Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
C
Thank you, and congrats for getting there.

Re: WHY I SUCKED AT THE FORREST WOOD CUP - Recap with pictures [Re: Clark Reehm] #11091571 09/09/15 12:44 PM
tjbubba1 Online Content
Angler
Online Content
Angler
Great read.

Re: WHY I SUCKED AT THE FORREST WOOD CUP - Recap with pictures [Re: Clark Reehm] #11091572 09/09/15 12:45 PM
R
RNF Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
R
Great write-up, I enjoyed reading it. Thanks for sharing it with us.

Re: WHY I SUCKED AT THE FORREST WOOD CUP - Recap with pictures [Re: Clark Reehm] #11091578 09/09/15 12:48 PM
T
tin man 55 Offline
Angler
Angler
T
great story; and several really good lessons there.

I've been thinking about putting some brushpiles in my favorite lake. does anyone have advice about the process? how much do you need to pile up to be effective? do you just take it out limb by limb? do you weigh it down, and with what? should it be close to some existing structure (creek, hump, point, etc)?

2014 Ranger RT-188
115 Mercury Pro-XS
Lowrance Gen-3 units
Ultrex
Re: WHY I SUCKED AT THE FORREST WOOD CUP - Recap with pictures [Re: Okie Poke] #11091580 09/09/15 12:49 PM
buton Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
Originally Posted By: Okie Poke
I admire you for trying to make a living in tournament fishing. That's a very hard feat in today's time. I wish you all the luck. Thanks for such a humbling, articulate assessment of your time at the Forrest Wood Cup. GL!

+1

Is not easy to do what you are doing.. my respect...

keep up that good work

Re: WHY I SUCKED AT THE FORREST WOOD CUP - Recap with pictures [Re: Clark Reehm] #11091613 09/09/15 01:04 PM
slim 285 Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Congrats on making it to the cup. Shake off the poor showing ,get your head right and go do it again. Your time is coming

Re: WHY I SUCKED AT THE FORREST WOOD CUP - Recap with pictures [Re: Clark Reehm] #11091618 09/09/15 01:07 PM
TallBaldCypress Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Thanks for taking the time to write this! Nice job, Clark!

Re: WHY I SUCKED AT THE FORREST WOOD CUP - Recap with pictures [Re: slim 285] #11091624 09/09/15 01:11 PM
Kay Dyson Offline
HOT Mess!!!
HOT Mess!!!
Wow..... Great write up Clark, thank you for sharing and the effort it took... cheers

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide