Page 1 of 18 1 2 3 17 18
Lets change the failed Toyota Sharelunker program! #6809913 11/04/11 11:07 PM
M
Murrydog Offline OP
Angler
OP Offline
Angler
M
Lets say that the Sharelunker program is a total bust as James from FLT has pointed out. It seems that a better plan would be to release pure Florida strain bass into Texas waters. If all the efforts and money were transferred to breeding pure Florida strain fish and releasing them into Texas waters we would see more bang for the buck.

Toyota is the present sponsor and I assume contributes cash to the program to advertise its product. The Texas firm handling the Toyota Shaelunker is Gulf States Area Public Affairs contact is clyde@hopkinspr.comclyde@hopkinspr.com. In addition the Director for the program is Allen Forshage, (903) 670-2224, allen.forshage@tpwd.state.tx.us. If enough people contact these people maybe we can change the program and get real results.

Whatdoyouthink?

<*)\\\><(

If we concentrated on the really important stuff in life,

there'd be a shortage of fishing poles
Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: Lets change the failed Toyota Sharelunker program! [Re: Murrydog] #6809928 11/04/11 11:10 PM
Fish Killer Offline
Big Sexy
Big Sexy
I don't agree at all

I think the program has been great success

Way too many positives have come fromthe program

LIKE the TFF on Facebook - www.facebook.com/texasfishingforum

You want to make a difference in life? Take a kid fishing!
Re: Lets change the failed Toyota Sharelunker program! [Re: Murrydog] #6809937 11/04/11 11:14 PM
F
Fishing Ape Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
F
It's not a failed program! Its not perfect, but it has done alot for Texas bass-fishing.

Re: Lets change the failed Toyota Sharelunker program! [Re: Murrydog] #6809942 11/04/11 11:15 PM
M
Murrydog Offline OP
Angler
OP Offline
Angler
M
Go read FLT's articale about the program and show me the positives

http://www.tackleandrods.com/lake/flash.htm

<*)\\\><(

If we concentrated on the really important stuff in life,

there'd be a shortage of fishing poles
Re: Lets change the failed Toyota Sharelunker program! [Re: Murrydog] #6809945 11/04/11 11:17 PM
Fish Killer Offline
Big Sexy
Big Sexy
That's one mans view point

The number of people brought to certain lakes and the publicity the state has gotten for it's fisheries alone is enough to declare it a success

LIKE the TFF on Facebook - www.facebook.com/texasfishingforum

You want to make a difference in life? Take a kid fishing!
Re: Lets change the failed Toyota Sharelunker program! [Re: Murrydog] #6809963 11/04/11 11:22 PM
F
Fishing Ape Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
F
Originally Posted By: 4EVER16

I've seen the program, meet the people, loved the experience.

Re: Lets change the failed Toyota Sharelunker program! [Re: Fishing Ape] #6809984 11/04/11 11:28 PM
J
Jersey Dan Offline
Guido
Guido
J
Originally Posted By: Fishing Ape
Originally Posted By: 4EVER16

I've seen the program, meet the people, loved the experience.

From Falcon Tackle.

November 3, 2011: Well it's that time of year again.. Time to dig out that turkey baster, make some deer sausage, chop some firewood, and talk about the 2011-2012 Sharelunker season.. Which is underway, by the way..

And although there have been no fish submitted so far this year, I am sure there will be. Last year the first fish was not submitted till December fifteenth, which is later than usual.. And back in 2008, there was not one turned in till January thirteenth.. In 2009, the first fish was turned in on the twenty eighth of September, actually a couple of days before the season actually opened.. So I reckon that one could be turned in any day..

With the closure of Falcons only holding station for Sharelunker, I am not sure what it is going to mean for Falcon's thirteen pound fish that get caught. At first I was all smiles about it.. Until I thought about it. Because on the surface one would think that if there is no holding station here, certainly no one would keep a giant waiting on a truck that would be at least five hours away. There would be a pretty good chance that the fish would die. At least that is what I think.

But odds are that some will still call for the truck.. We'll see..

If I knew, or even thought, that the Sharelunker program was growing bigger fish, or even growing fish faster, I would have a holding tank here at FLT. But neither of these two theories have been able to hold any water. As a matter of fact, the numbers of our very biggest fish have declined quite a bit since the inception of the Sharelunker program. I have documented this a few times in the past.

It seems that everyone, well, not everyone, thinks that the Sharelunker Program is responsible for the big fish we have in Texas. Nothing can be farther from the truth.

But while the meat and potatoes of the SL program have made no difference in the fishing in Texas, it has certainly been a great marketing strategy for getting fishermen to come and fish in Texas.

So much disinformation exists about the SL program that it has become a self perpetuating phenomenon. Congrats to TPWD on a great campaign.. But if you look at the facts, you will find that like most political campaigns, what gets promised rarely gets delivered.

And here is the one thing that really sticks in my craw.. Every time a fish is turned in to the SL program, a big media release is put out saying "Texas Produces Another Sharelunker!" And lots of people think that that fish was in the water because of the SL program.. Nothing can be farther from the truth.

That fish is simply a Texas grown bass, more than likely with a lot of Florida genetics. And its existence in the lake had NOTHING to do with the SL program.

And TPWD has done little to get the facts out there.. Only in the last year have they started telling us about how many of the fish are Floridas, how many die, and how many actually spawn. Actually you won't find any of this info in a press release. You'll have to find it on their website. BTW.. The last two years only four fish have spawned each year..

How can you be so sure about all of the above, you ask? Because the introduction of SL fingerlings into public waters in Texas lakes did not start occurring till 2006. That's twenty years after the first Sharelunker was turned in..

What happen to all the fry during all that time?? Makes you wonder, don't it.. I am sure a lot of people assumed that we had been catching them for years..

In any case, no lakegrows fish faster than Falcon, especially under the fine conditions we have had for the last six to eight years. And the fastest documented fish that has grown to thirteen pounds was eight years old. And I would say that that it is a bit unusual for fish to grow that fast..

So of the miniscule number of SL fingerlings that have been stocked in public waters, it will be at least three to five years before a true Sharelunker Sharelunker could even be possible.. Don't hold your breath..

So, yeah.. You can tell me that the SL program works.. It does, at getting people to come fish Texas.. But it has Squat to do with the big fish we are catching in Texas.. But you already knew that. You might not want to accept it.. But you know it is true..

Only the introduction of Florida genes, mild climate, and lakes that have the forage it takes to grow em, has produced the incredible fishing that Texas has today.. It's not magic.. Don't be afraid to look behind the curtain..

Here's a list of Major Lakes that have rec'd SL stockings.

Fork: 4,800 in 06. 2,897 in 08. 2,220 in 10. And 39,872 in 2011.

Amistad: 4,519 in 2006. 2,614 in 08. And 2,081 in 2010.

Falcon: 2,842 in 2008. 2,091 in 10. And 30,488 in 2011.

Ivie: 8,143 in 2010. 34,064 in 2011.

Sam Rayburn: 2,604 in 2008.

Toledo Bend: 4,592 in 2006. And 2,604 in 2008.

Caddo: 3,408 in 2009. 2,166 in 10. and 32,037 in 2011.

How bout Lake Naconichie?? In 2009 they got 173 adult fish, and 95,389 fingerlings.. That's not a typo..

There are a lot of other lakes where a tiny number of SL derived fry have been stocked, but that is probably just more for show and a news release than anything else. Because most lakes just can't produce bass that weigh thirteen pounds. I ain't saying it can't happen.. But it is just very unlikely..

Here's the link to TPWD's stockings page so you can check out your lake.

Keep in mind that if two percent (2%) of these fish survive to maturity it will be a wildly successful stocking. Of course nobody knows for sure what percentage of fingerlings survive when being stocked in the wild.. But you do have to start somewhere.. And every lake's predators differ.. But I can tell you that Bass think Baby Bass are tasty..

You may have read in the past that SL fish grow faster than "wild fish." Well that might be.. And I am sure they do.. As wild fish are not pure Floridas like their SL cousins.. That's why we brought Floridas to Texas in the first place.. They grow to be much bigger and grow faster..

And after some discussion, (with some from me and much in the fisheries department) TPWD is going to start an experiment that compares growth rates of SL fingerlings against Pure Florida fingerlings. So we will finally see an Apples to Apples test. But don't get in a hurry for the results.. The experiment hasn't started yet and it will run from four to six years.. We'll all have to wait on that data.. But I've got a hundie that says the growth rate differences between these two fish will be negligible..

I acquired all the info used in this post from the TPWD website, and from talking with folks from TPWD.

And as always I welcome your e-mails with your comments or questions.. I just love talking about Sharelunker..

Re: Lets change the failed Toyota Sharelunker program! [Re: Jersey Dan] #6810028 11/04/11 11:41 PM
senko9S Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
the SAL program is awesome, too many keyboard biologist these days. i worked w/ SAL for over 10 years and know a little bit about it. as lakes get older the chances of teens deminish greatly. making a bass spawn is alot harder than most think. if all our bass were pure florida strain then we'll all be selling our stuff and becoming shiner chunkers if you wanna catch fish.

Re: Lets change the failed Toyota Sharelunker program! [Re: Murrydog] #6810055 11/04/11 11:50 PM
txwhitetail Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
So where is the proof that the program is a bust?????

This is a worthless post...do we have any fish genetics folks here that understand genetic research? Until then we don have a whole lot of fish research folks posting...just folks emotional post on whether they think they like it or don't.

Re: Lets change the failed Toyota Sharelunker program! [Re: Murrydog] #6810063 11/04/11 11:52 PM
txwhitetail Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
Biggest problem (if you want to call it a problem) is overpopulated lakes to have a true trophy fishery in Texas. But that's what Texas fisherman want is bites.

Re: Lets change the failed Toyota Sharelunker program! [Re: Murrydog] #6810086 11/05/11 12:02 AM
C
Chasin Hogs Online Crying
TFF Team Angler
Online Crying
TFF Team Angler
C
I dont see any proof of it workin. Someone
Lead me to the results please.

Re: Lets change the failed Toyota Sharelunker program! [Re: txwhitetail] #6810088 11/05/11 12:03 AM
horseplaydvm Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
Originally Posted By: Lake Ivie Guide JR Howard
So where is the proof that the program is a bust?????

This is a worthless post...do we have any fish genetics folks here that understand genetic research? Until then we don have a whole lot of fish research folks posting...just folks emotional post on whether they think they like it or don't.

1000+

James is a great person, but we don't agree on the SAL program and that is fine, it is his opinion. I think it is best to leave it to the professionals, i.e., biologist who are in control of the program. They have done plenty of research prior to beginning to put the SAL fry in public lakes. If you notice, they put a great majority of those fry in public lakes which have proven to provide optimal habitat for large bass growth, Falcon being one of them. I can't wait to sit down with James in 8- 10 years and discuss the SAL program. Should be interesting.

[Linked Image]
Gone Fishing
B.A.S. 6/5/47-6/6/12
C.W.S. 9/29/72- 10/17/23
Re: Lets change the failed Toyota Sharelunker program! [Re: horseplaydvm] #6810106 11/05/11 12:09 AM
senko9S Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
look how far tpwd has gotten, heck, they were stocking walleye and tiger musky in the 70's...

Re: Lets change the failed Toyota Sharelunker program! [Re: Murrydog] #6810155 11/05/11 12:24 AM
fouzman Offline
Methuselah
Methuselah
I didn't read all of James Bendele's comments. Didn't need to. He speaks from experience and not out of his keister. I know the jest without reading it.

And I agree. This from a man who sat and visited last Saturday for 15 minutes with THE man when it comes to the SAL Prgram. Mr. David Campbell. A man quite deserving of a place in The Texas Freshwater Fisheries Hall of Fame.

From the time Mark Stevenson kicked off the SAL program with Ethel in 1986 until the time of the LMB virus on Fork, I would have been honored to catch and donate a SAL from Fork to TPWD.

Beyond that point, I don't see the benefit. The research has been done. The mistakes and successes are understood. All any fishery needs is time, a proper prey/predator ratio and minimal pressure to produce a DD largemouth of whopper proportions. EMPHASIS on the "minimal pressure"

I'm a big deer and big bass kinda guy. And I believe given age and nutrition, most are best left alone until full maturity to post-maturity. Unfortunately, we've not yet found a foolproof way to do that with whitetails. But we have with bass.

CPR those giants and let 'em swim!

Just so there is no confusion, I don't think of the SAL Program as a failure at all. Quite the contrary.

We are blessed with THE finest P&W institution of its type in the world. Why would so many other states and countries call upon TPWD for wildlife and fisheries management advice? Think about that for a minute and thank your lucky stars you live in Texas!

But I also agree with James. The SAL program has derived as much genetic material and info, while providing a unique experience for all TX fishermen, as is needed.

Fouz

Last edited by fouzman; 11/05/11 12:45 AM.

"Things turn out best for those who make the best of the way things turn out" - Zachary Troy Schrah - a young man with vision far beyond his years.
Re: Lets change the failed Toyota Sharelunker program! [Re: fouzman] #6810169 11/05/11 12:26 AM
F
FootAndAHalf Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
F
Originally Posted By: fouzman

CPR those giants and let 'em swim!

Page 1 of 18 1 2 3 17 18
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide