Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
KVD - younger generation bass fishing #10903060 06/08/15 04:38 PM
BaylorLipRipper Offline OP
Angler
OP Offline
Angler
KVD is an idol to a lot of young fisherman these days, and he wrote a great article on the future generation of bass fishing. College and high school programs are flourishing these days, and there is only room to get more attention in the future! Check it out,

KVD college/highschool article

Last edited by BaylorLipRipper; 06/08/15 04:39 PM.
Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: KVD - younger generation bass fishing [Re: BaylorLipRipper] #10903607 06/08/15 08:13 PM
Mark Jones Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
Love seeing the high school and college stuff grow.

Re: KVD - younger generation bass fishing [Re: BaylorLipRipper] #10904165 06/09/15 12:04 AM
T
TtownBassDude Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
T
i've started 2 college bass fishing teams from scratch and built relationships with multiple companies over the years and it is a great avenue to grow the sport. My relationships have wound up with job opportunities and even consulting which has been incredible!

MY ONLY COMPLAINT!
In both of my programs started I had a huge lecture that I had to replay to my peers about how the sponsorship process works. First thing every young angler wants is free [censored]. As a marketing major it made me sick and almost pissed off at kids on our team feeling entitled to discounts and free stuff these companies were wanting to provide. The first thing I did to fix this was had each kid who wanted to join the team had to hand write a thank you letter to each company wanting to help us out. (this step eliminated half of the field wanting to join) and 2nd I had a policy where we had to give out some of the products provided by the companies. We had fishing days for kids and high school kids were we gave away gift cards, lures and equipment.

Plain and simple younger anglers want free stuff and want it out! Made me sick watching and since I figured it out early that I needed to be increasing sales for these companies it helped me get some of the biggest sponsors in the industry wanting to help our team. I just wish some of the kids grew up a little bit more broke and understood when someone offers you something free or discounted you are grateful and owe them a hand wrote card and a good hand shake.

Re: KVD - younger generation bass fishing [Re: TtownBassDude] #10904210 06/09/15 12:32 AM
J
jbcarroll3000 Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
J
Originally Posted By: TtownBassDude
i've started 2 college bass fishing teams from scratch and built relationships with multiple companies over the years and it is a great avenue to grow the sport. My relationships have wound up with job opportunities and even consulting which has been incredible!

MY ONLY COMPLAINT!
In both of my programs started I had a huge lecture that I had to replay to my peers about how the sponsorship process works. First thing every young angler wants is free [censored]. As a marketing major it made me sick and almost pissed off at kids on our team feeling entitled to discounts and free stuff these companies were wanting to provide. The first thing I did to fix this was had each kid who wanted to join the team had to hand write a thank you letter to each company wanting to help us out. (this step eliminated half of the field wanting to join) and 2nd I had a policy where we had to give out some of the products provided by the companies. We had fishing days for kids and high school kids were we gave away gift cards, lures and equipment.

Plain and simple younger anglers want free stuff and want it out! Made me sick watching and since I figured it out early that I needed to be increasing sales for these companies it helped me get some of the biggest sponsors in the industry wanting to help our team. I just wish some of the kids grew up a little bit more broke and understood when someone offers you something free or discounted you are grateful and owe them a hand wrote card and a good hand shake.

thumb

Re: KVD - younger generation bass fishing [Re: jbcarroll3000] #10904221 06/09/15 12:38 AM
S
Smurfs Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
S
Im old and want free stuff please! bang

Re: KVD - younger generation bass fishing [Re: BaylorLipRipper] #10904231 06/09/15 12:44 AM
T
TtownBassDude Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
T
we took top 10 in a college event where the entry fee was FREE.99 and a team in 3rd or 4th was getting a $500 check and was complaining to the tournament director about payout. I also saw this team at the next event and their dad was backing their trailer and getting the boat off for them while they were asleep in the passenger seat.

Re: KVD - younger generation bass fishing [Re: BaylorLipRipper] #10904268 06/09/15 12:59 AM
mwconaw Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
Sounds like those kind of youngsters need all the education you can give them. Also should most likely quit calling those that support anglers as sponsors. The name sponsor speaks free to too many, when in reality they are marketing and product development employees of the companies that support them. Maybe then all these companies would not be so bombarded by requests for free stuff. They do and should expect a return on investment.

Mike

Re: KVD - younger generation bass fishing [Re: BaylorLipRipper] #10904320 06/09/15 01:19 AM
T
T54 Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
T
As a former college angler, I also noticed that there was a certain sense of entitlement to free and discounted product amongst many of my peers.

My advice to young anglers today is to focus on school, building a network, becoming a better angler and being professional. If you do those things, good things will come from it, like sponsorship opportunities or the possibility of working in the industry. I realized a long time ago that I wasn't going to make my living by catching them, but am now fortunate to work in the industry and am more than happy with that. The network I developed while competing at the collegiate level led to that opportunity. Who you know goes a long way, and you are more likely to meet those people and earn their trust if you don't "overpromote" yourself before you have really accomplished anything.

Just my $0.02

Re: KVD - younger generation bass fishing [Re: BaylorLipRipper] #10904493 06/09/15 02:40 AM
S
squeeky Offline
Angler
Angler
S
since we are on this subject, how does the ncaa view sponsorships for high school anglers..let's say a kid plays baseball, gets a scholarship and then the ncaa says well since boat company x gave you a boat you can't play baseball. does this happen or can it happen

Re: KVD - younger generation bass fishing [Re: BaylorLipRipper] #10904536 06/09/15 03:00 AM
A
Andrew Y'Barbo Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
A
High School fishing is a good thing. it gets you out there. However fishing BFL and Bassweekenders as a boater in highschool did far more things for me. High School fishing has turned into who knows who and who has more money. I receive 3-5 phone calls before ever major highs school tournament on Rayburn. Offered money to guide them. Along with making commission off of wins. I do not believe this is helping the anglers. College fishing is starting to be dominated by either the teams backed by a supporting club or teams that have the funds to travel and practice. Some teams are attacking tounrmanets like they are BASS Opens. Practicing a month ahead on lakes 500miles away. College fishing is a good starting point for connections in the industry. I am not fortunate enough to have the means to travel. I do my best just to compete on Rayburn. Next year I hope to fish one Rayovac. Along with the whole bfl trail. I believe this will give me better fundimentals for my fishing career. Big difference between being a boater making decisions versus college/highschool. But do not get me wrong. It is a excellent starting step for many young anglers.

Re: KVD - younger generation bass fishing [Re: BaylorLipRipper] #10904558 06/09/15 03:10 AM
T
TtownBassDude Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
T
its not NCAA regulated its considered a club to the school.

Re: KVD - younger generation bass fishing [Re: squeeky] #10904733 06/09/15 04:36 AM
T
T54 Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
T
Originally Posted By: squeeky
since we are on this subject, how does the ncaa view sponsorships for high school anglers..let's say a kid plays baseball, gets a scholarship and then the ncaa says well since boat company x gave you a boat you can't play baseball. does this happen or can it happen

Fishing is a club sport in college, and to my knowledge, sponsorship in high school for fishing should not affect their amateur status for other NCAA sports. That is an excellent question though.

Re: KVD - younger generation bass fishing [Re: TtownBassDude] #10904879 06/09/15 12:00 PM
A
Andrew Taylor Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
A
Originally Posted By: TtownBassDude

MY ONLY COMPLAINT!

Re: KVD - younger generation bass fishing [Re: BaylorLipRipper] #10904946 06/09/15 12:41 PM
rdmac Offline
Angler
Angler
We have had an issue with getting our local high school to actually become involved enough to start a club. I have the boat and my son and a friend that both want to do this but cannot get a commitment from the school to do it. If anyone has any other avenues to approach to get them in this or a contact with someone that could help us get started it would be greatly appreciated.

God, family, fishing!
22' Bay Stealth CC 200hp Yamaha Saltwater Series
Re: KVD - younger generation bass fishing [Re: BaylorLipRipper] #10905304 06/09/15 02:59 PM
GeoFisher Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
A lot of HS administrators are reluctant to bless a program like fishing simply because of a lack of information and ignorance of our sport. Liability is the major concern here. I help out with SETX HS Fishing, one of the largest, if not the largest HS fishing trails in the country, and its amazing to me the number of people who think we are weighing fish on the back of a truck at a public ramp somewhere. The general public HAS NO CLUE what it takes to host one of these tournaments. The planning and logistics are quite frankly, overwhelming at times. Feeding 1000 people, weighing 600-800 fish, parking 300+ rigs, and making sure all are off the water safely is no EZ task. The sport is fighting a "perception" and until we get some of these administrators and "non fisherman" out to these tournaments to see what we are doing, we always will fight that. Our numbers are staggering and growth is imminent, but until the general public actually sees and understands the complexity of hosting these events, they will always think we are showing up with cane poles and bobbers.

Everything on your bass boat is broken......You just don't know it yet.
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide