Page 1 of 2 1 2
What do you do in these conditions? #10843900 05/14/15 03:38 PM
W
wlgorman Offline OP
Angler
OP Offline
Angler
W
Was out on Lewisville yesterday from sunup to about 10AM. Water was high of course. Figured I'd start by beating the bank. Carp were everywhere. There was SO much flooded cover I just threw to as much as I could while covering as much water as I could. Fished from 1-8ft. Ended up trolling across the point south of the 121 cut, turned into the woods about 400 yds south of the cut and went through to the other side.

Anyway, not a single bite. Threw chatterbaits, texas rigged flukes, spinnerbaits, squarebills, brushhogs, spro frog.

Went and marked some fish in about 20' in a cut with a bait ball above them and figured they were bass. Threw a C-rigged brush hog for a few minutes before the wind picked up and blew me out of there.

What would you be doing in these conditions?

Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: What do you do in these conditions? [Re: wlgorman] #10843941 05/14/15 03:51 PM
L
LipRipper3325 Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
L
The high water will scatter the fish..

I would try and find a mixture of clear water (the clearest water you can find considering the conditions) and submerged vegetation. Fish the newly flooded stuff first, and then move out a bit and fish the old shoreline..

I would throw a big jig. Black/blue or straight black. Fish it slow

Personal Record: 8 pounds 10 ounces
Personal Goal: 10 pounds +
Re: What do you do in these conditions? [Re: wlgorman] #10843951 05/14/15 03:55 PM
L
lipjerk Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
L
I've been doing well out there with the high water, throwing a white/chart half ounce double willow spinnerbait.

Re: What do you do in these conditions? [Re: lipjerk] #10843961 05/14/15 03:59 PM
Donald Harper Online Happy
TFF Guru
Online Happy
TFF Guru
Originally Posted By: lipjerk
I've been doing well out there with the high water, throwing a white/chart half ounce double willow spinnerbait.

This, and add the Rage Craw pitching and flipping once you get bit on the spinner bait.

Each person you work with holds some promise to your future success.
Websiite Sponsors:
www.eletewater.com - Staying Hydrated
www.lakeoviachic.com - Booking Mexico Trips
20 Hot Spot Mapping - GPS Contour Chips - Custom Spinner Baits - Jigs -Spooks
Pure Extracts - Minnow-Night Crawler-Crayfish-Craylic

Re: What do you do in these conditions? [Re: wlgorman] #10843984 05/14/15 04:06 PM
W
WAWI Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
W
You work on the honey do list so when things settle down she lets you go.

Re: What do you do in these conditions? [Re: wlgorman] #10844015 05/14/15 04:15 PM
B
Bass Buster1 Online Content
Extreme Angler
Online Content
Extreme Angler
B
Roberts last Friday (first day of the muddy water) was Topwaters in the newly flooded stuff in the cleanest water I could find. Fished the same areas Saturday morning and the water had really muddied up and I didn't get a bite before it got nasty and I had to get off the water for the lightning. This weekend I plan to find the cleanest water in all the chocolate milk and fish fast with shad imitations, spinner bait, topwater, small crankbait. If I get bit two or three times in an area I will slow down and flip the newly submerged vegetation. Based on what I saw last weekend, the bait and the bigger fish are shallow and very scattered with all the new cover they have to choose from.

See you on the lake and have a great day!
Re: What do you do in these conditions? [Re: wlgorman] #10844038 05/14/15 04:23 PM
K
Kevin Bryant Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
K
*Ribbit Ribbit*

MBC & Associates, LLC
Specialty Commercial Construction & Asset Management
Roofing Project Manager and Moisture Consultant
Certified Infrared Thermographer
IRMS & HAAG Certified Inspector
C: (214) 289-2601
Re: What do you do in these conditions? [Re: wlgorman] #10848147 05/16/15 07:38 AM
D
davidsonbasser Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
D
High water can overwhelm us fisherman. New cover everywhere, cover that looks like it should hold fish but doesnt. It overwhelms the fish too. They scatter everywhere and move all over. People who dont fish very often think this is good. Problem is what makes fishing so successful is finding patterns. New water kinda ruins patterns cause fish are like kids in candy store. You cant keep up with them. New water = no honey holes. Fish leave their honey holes that they clung to and WE found. Thats what makes a good fishing trip good afterall, finding a honey hole or catching a pattern. Here's an experiment: Go out on a small 20 acre lake that has just risen ten feet. You will see more fish biting and slapping than you ever had before on that lake...problem is they are all over the lake. In normal cases, they will be hitting topwater in just a cove or maybe up the creek, and thats the honey hole or pattern. But now thats gone. Its frustrating, we see them all over the lake and see prime cover that would normally hold fish all the time, but now that its come up several feet, the fish want to explore and chow down on the drowned bugs and other critters. But...as we all know some fish are stubborn and will keep to their usual habits. So....my advice is to fish those patterns and spots. I know its tempting but pass up that new grassline or fallen tree trunk and go out a little ways and fish the old grassline, or that old lay-down now sitting in 15 feet of water. The hardest is to ignore all those fish splashing and instead fishing what you once caught fish on or at. I have tried chasing those fish and trust me they will be running and gunning all over the lake. So i go back to the spots and lures I caught them on before the water rose. I wont catch as much fish, but its better than torturing myself by trying to chase down fish.

Re: What do you do in these conditions? [Re: wlgorman] #10848764 05/16/15 05:31 PM
T
timwins31 Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
T
I'm a big fan of fishing where the fish were before the water came up. There will still be fish in those spots, maybe not the same fish as before, but there will still be fish there.

Re: What do you do in these conditions? [Re: WAWI] #10848781 05/16/15 05:45 PM
S
SmokeDraw Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
S
Originally Posted By: whatsaweighin
You work on the honey do list so when things settle down she lets you go.

This is the conclusion I have come to. Fished hard at RR yesterday and the day before out of my yak. Too much water spread over too much new area. Caught one 4 lb and a dink in roughly 16 hours of fishing. So many floating logs and debris too I will not venture out in my big boat for a good while.

Re: What do you do in these conditions? [Re: wlgorman] #10848791 05/16/15 05:59 PM
B
Bradshuflin aka hunter'sdad Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
B
I have had my best luck lately on dark colored plastics fished very slow on a heavy swing head. I haven't had much luck on moving baits but the ones I did catch on moving baits were on a blk chatterbait with speed craw trailer, Crack pattern squarebill, and chartreuse spinnerbait with dual gold Colorado blades all fished slow. Probably caught 50 yesterday no real size but it was a fun day 90% came on plastics.

Re: What do you do in these conditions? [Re: Bradshuflin aka hunter'sdad] #10849014 05/16/15 08:35 PM
W
wtr Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
W
Were you fishing the new water?

PB: 12.05lbs OH Ivie
Re: What do you do in these conditions? [Re: wlgorman] #10849161 05/16/15 10:12 PM
F
FMJshooter Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
F
Fish the old bank before the water rose they're probably still there.

Last edited by FMJshooter; 05/16/15 10:13 PM.
Re: What do you do in these conditions? [Re: davidsonbasser] #10849428 05/17/15 12:38 AM
P
Phototex Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
P
Originally Posted By: davidsonbasser
High water can overwhelm us fisherman. New cover everywhere, cover that looks like it should hold fish but doesnt. It overwhelms the fish too. They scatter everywhere and move all over. People who dont fish very often think this is good. Problem is what makes fishing so successful is finding patterns. New water kinda ruins patterns cause fish are like kids in candy store. You cant keep up with them. New water = no honey holes. Fish leave their honey holes that they clung to and WE found. Thats what makes a good fishing trip good afterall, finding a honey hole or catching a pattern. Here's an experiment: Go out on a small 20 acre lake that has just risen ten feet. You will see more fish biting and slapping than you ever had before on that lake...problem is they are all over the lake. In normal cases, they will be hitting topwater in just a cove or maybe up the creek, and thats the honey hole or pattern. But now thats gone. Its frustrating, we see them all over the lake and see prime cover that would normally hold fish all the time, but now that its come up several feet, the fish want to explore and chow down on the drowned bugs and other critters. But...as we all know some fish are stubborn and will keep to their usual habits. So....my advice is to fish those patterns and spots. I know its tempting but pass up that new grassline or fallen tree trunk and go out a little ways and fish the old grassline, or that old lay-down now sitting in 15 feet of water. The hardest is to ignore all those fish splashing and instead fishing what you once caught fish on or at. I have tried chasing those fish and trust me they will be running and gunning all over the lake. So i go back to the spots and lures I caught them on before the water rose. I wont catch as much fish, but its better than torturing myself by trying to chase down fish.

This is good advice. I remember the first day of a tournament way back when, in my younger days, during which I spent 3/4 of the available tournament hours fishing for those splashing fish - until I finally caught a 35-pound carp and discovered what I had been fishing for up 'till then. Boy, did I ever feel dumb!

Last edited by phototex; 05/17/15 12:40 AM.

PB: 10-01 on a Ribbit frog
Re: What do you do in these conditions? [Re: wlgorman] #10849488 05/17/15 01:08 AM
M
MV Online Content
TFF Team Angler
Online Content
TFF Team Angler
M
also try a buzz bait with a clacker run thru the flooded stuff

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide