texasfishingforum.com logo
Main Menu
Advertisement
Affiliates
Advertisement
Newest Members
Cameron Gose, Jetskirentals512, Flashin Assassin Lures, SoonerTex0623, Bobby J.
119181 Registered Users
Top Posters(All Time)
hopalong 121,013
TexDawg 119,783
Bigbob_FTW 95,321
John175☮ 85,918
Pilothawk 83,274
Bob Davis 82,326
Mark Perry 72,486
Derek 🐝 68,321
JDavis7873 67,416
Forum Statistics
Forums59
Topics1,038,882
Posts13,954,757
Members144,181
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Help me replace my malfunctioning bow graph #12367570 08/01/17 03:07 PM
T
TrailHand Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
T

I've been running a small Garmin 551dv on the bow for a while but it's not working anymore. Screen goes black on me off and on. It's not a power issue, the connection has been tested and it's good. It's an internal problem with the machine.

So I'm tossing it in the trash and going to be upgrading. Now, i like having a small footprint up front, but I'm not against a larger screen and a four-bolt mount. I probably don't want anything larger than 12" though because my feet have a mind of their own and I'm liable to kick it over if it's TV sized.

No larger than 12"
Must have sidescan/downvu
Easy to see in full sun
Can handle 100 degree heat (The garmin does not)
Saves settings, waypoints, markers easily.
TM Mount available or included
I plan to add an Ulterra next spring so integration would be nice

I know every brand has a flagship, but real world experience from some of you guys that run a TM Mount is priceless. I do like the look of that new Mega from Humminbird, though I wonder if it's overkill...

Last edited by TrailHand; 08/05/17 04:02 PM.
Re: Help me replace my malfunctioning bow graph [Re: TrailHand] #12367631 08/01/17 03:40 PM
F
Flippin-Out Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
F
Don't try to run side-scan from a TM mounted transducer. It doesn't work very well for some technical reasons I won't go into here, but trust me on that, LOL.

I'm a Lowrance guy, so can't speak to the other brands. Any current HDS model will do what you need (9 inch and up), stand-alone, no other modules needed. There's a combo 2D & down-scan transducer with temp. available that fits Minn Kota 36V motors nicely. There's an excellent protective bracket available from Transducer Saver. No other transducer or box is needed for this setup, but you won't have side-scan. (Side-scan is best observed while at trolling speed at the console.)

The Minn Kota nosecone transducers work with an adapter cable. It's a nice backup plan in case the combo transducer gets trashed while fishing. Mine is set up for plan B with a simple cable swap.

With Lowrance, I recommend the external antenna and heading sensor - specifically for the heading sensor. This stops the map view from rotating if you sit still on a spot. It will allow the map to stay oriented with reference to the bow of your boat. This is very desirable to see where waypoints are so you can cast toward them accurately. If you add this feature, you'll need to set up a NMEA network to connect it (not hard, not very much $)

Last edited by Flippin-Out; 08/01/17 03:40 PM.
Re: Help me replace my malfunctioning bow graph [Re: Flippin-Out] #12368103 08/01/17 09:50 PM
T
TrailHand Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
T
Originally Posted By: Flippin-Out
Don't try to run side-scan from a TM mounted transducer. It doesn't work very well for some technical reasons I won't go into here, but trust me on that, LOL.

I'm a Lowrance guy, so can't speak to the other brands. Any current HDS model will do what you need (9 inch and up), stand-alone, no other modules needed. There's a combo 2D & down-scan transducer with temp. available that fits Minn Kota 36V motors nicely. There's an excellent protective bracket available from Transducer Saver. No other transducer or box is needed for this setup, but you won't have side-scan. (Side-scan is best observed while at trolling speed at the console.)

The Minn Kota nosecone transducers work with an adapter cable. It's a nice backup plan in case the combo transducer gets trashed while fishing. Mine is set up for plan B with a simple cable swap.

With Lowrance, I recommend the external antenna and heading sensor - specifically for the heading sensor. This stops the map view from rotating if you sit still on a spot. It will allow the map to stay oriented with reference to the bow of your boat. This is very desirable to see where waypoints are so you can cast toward them accurately. If you add this feature, you'll need to set up a NMEA network to connect it (not hard, not very much $)

So an HDS12 g3 would fit the bill. Would that model still need the external antenna and heading sensor?

Re: Help me replace my malfunctioning bow graph [Re: TrailHand] #12368376 08/02/17 01:08 AM
B
Bobby Milam Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
B
You are going to run the Ulterra so why not just go with a Humminbird Helix 12? You can get the gen 1 helix 12 which has chirp sonar or you can step it up to the newer version that will have chirp for SI. Then you'll be set up to run your Ulterra with the link version right off your FF. Can't use the link with anything but Humminbird if you are so inclined to get it with link.

I have a helix 12 and there is no problem seeing it in full sun, the Chirp sonar works great and it will come with everything that you need right in the box other than maybe swapping the transom transducer with humminbird for the trolling motor transducer if you so choose.

Re: Help me replace my malfunctioning bow graph [Re: TrailHand] #12371676 08/04/17 01:10 AM
shut-up-and-fish Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru

HUMMINBIRD HELIX 10 SI/GPS COMBO
409990-1
$959.00

HUMMINBIRD HELIX 12 CHIRP SI/GPS COMBO
410030-1
$1419.00 (limited quantity)

[Linked Image]
www.shut-up-and-fish.com
From *Sales, *Installation Services, and *On the shop floor Education & Instructional Tips
We have you covered here @ shut-up-and-fish for all of your Humminbird, Lowrance,
Garmin, Minn Kota & Motorguide needs plus much more - Call Now 972 822 9285
Re: Help me replace my malfunctioning bow graph [Re: TrailHand] #12377076 08/08/17 11:55 AM
Gamblinman Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
I'm a believer that bigger is better when it comes to graphs...but that 10" sounds like a good buy from David...should be more than big enough.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide