Forum Statistics
Forums59
Topics1,037,853
Posts13,935,622
Members144,150
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Looking for electronics expert/installer Austin area #10822609 05/06/15 03:57 PM
Kapnbill Offline OP
Angler
OP Offline
Angler
I would like to find someone very knowledgeable in the latest Lowrance systems convenient to Austin. I would like them to look at how my boat is currently set up/ networked and help me select some upgrades. I know most of the boat dealers can do basic installations but when I start asking questions it seems they really aren't experts.
I'm looking at converting some or all of my systems to gen 3 or Gen 2t.
Thanks

Re: Looking for electronics expert/installer Austin area [Re: Kapnbill] #10843135 05/14/15 04:35 AM
P
PhishWhisperer Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
P
I prefer to digest the users manual and do the installs myself. I have had too many bum jobs done by dealers who did shoddy work. If you install it yourself you'll know how to maintain it too. Just sayin'!

Re: Looking for electronics expert/installer Austin area [Re: Kapnbill] #10843165 05/14/15 05:08 AM
Ltcm09 Offline
Angler
Angler
Man dont pay someone, use tape when you first install it and test on lake go slow...and watch youtube on how to install it simple.

Re: Looking for electronics expert/installer Austin area [Re: Kapnbill] #10845255 05/15/15 01:39 AM
S
ScottCook Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
S
Yep, nothing like loving the way the job the dealer did looks on the outside, then having to fix it or something else and seeing what crappy work they did on the inside when it's time to do a little maintenance; loose and free hanging wires, transducer wire run beside power wires, transducer installed 30 degrees out from forward, a 15 foot transducer wire laid loose under the front deck instead of tie-wrapped neatly because you'll never see it. A few tie-wraps, eyelets and wire loom are cheap, don't take any time to install, and protect your investment from electrical shorts from chaffing, crimping, pinch points, and give you the satisfaction of a job well done not to mention a better understanding of how it works and it all works together.

I haven't seen this info here on the TFF, so I apologize if it's buried here somewhere, but the BBC Boards has an incredible amount of info. I especially like the tip for "Adding a dedicated fuse block to run your electronics." My next electrical project.

If I was going to pay anyone to do anything, I'd pay them for their time to help me do something I wasn't real comfortable with. At that, it only looks intimidating. It's not hard at all. Lay it all out, look at it with the manuals and the light will click on.

Last edited by ScottCook; 05/15/15 01:45 AM.
Re: Looking for electronics expert/installer Austin area [Re: Kapnbill] #10855533 05/19/15 05:36 PM
J
Jones Trolling Motor Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
J
Quoted from above post " then having to fix it or something else and seeing what crappy work they did on the inside when it's time to do a little maintenance; loose and free hanging wires, transducer wire run beside power wires, transducer installed 30 degrees out from forward, a 15 foot transducer wire laid loose under the front deck instead of tie-wrapped neatly because you'll never see it."

This sounds like the DIYer that I've had to go behind and clean up connections, wiring, etc. You know, those that declare it's only a 30 minute job. Don't know who (or whom) the "professional" is that is leaving that type of mess, but it all depends on the shop it comes out of. I'm probably a little more expensive than some on installs, but it's not a shadetree operation. Also, as a Lowrance certified installer, I can work to make sure someone gets the system and networking they're trying to achieve.
Too bad I'm in Texarkana instead of the Austin area.
John

Last edited by Jones Trolling Motor; 05/19/15 05:36 PM.

[Linked Image]
www.jonestrollingmotor.com
texarkana, Ark/Tx
Re: Looking for electronics expert/installer Austin area [Re: Kapnbill] #10861502 05/21/15 06:41 PM
B
bearf15 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
B
There is a guy in Del Rio on Amistad that I would recommend. Get out that way ask for the Lowrance expert and everyone will point you to him. He is a retired electrician... no crappy installs to fix.

Re: Looking for electronics expert/installer Austin area [Re: Jones Trolling Motor] #10870712 05/25/15 04:08 PM
S
ScottCook Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
S
Originally Posted By: Jones Trolling Motor
This sounds like the DIYer that I've had to go behind and clean up connections, wiring, etc. You know, those that declare it's only a 30 minute job. Don't know who (or whom) the "professional" is that is leaving that type of mess...

The professional is one of the bigger boat dealers in the central Texas area. Didn't use the Lowrance provided fuse, instead he opted for the inline style you can buy at the auto parts store. Which, admittedly, may be suitable, but he had to add those. Why not just use the one provided in the box? (If you know the reason, I'd appreciate it because my next project is redoing the electronics wiring by adding a dedicated bus and power switch from there I'll be adding the Lowrance fusing back in.)

For my part, it should have been a 30 minute job. I was simply moving an Elite 5 from the driver's console to the bow and installing a RAM mount for an Elite 7 on the console. During the transfer, I decided to put an HDI transducer on the TM. Running the transducer wire is when I found all of the other issues that needed care in the bow. Pulled all of the stuff out of the starboard side rod locker to get to the deck hole for the transducer wire and found all of the stern to bow wiring loose on the floor of the compartment under the loose equipment I keep in that locker (anchor, oar, lights, life jackets...).

That led me to check the console wiring the dealer did when he installed the 5 at the console that I was now going to use for the 7. (I had a 332C at the console)

It took me a few hours to sort out his mess and remove all the wiring he cut/replaced and just left bundled to the rest of the wiring harness under the console.

Sounds like you take the extra few minutes it takes to do it right.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide