Print Thread
Navionics Question #10806154 04/29/15 02:48 PM
P
pepop Offline OP
TFF Celebrity
OP Offline
TFF Celebrity
P
I have the Navionics Premium South chip release 2012 and I'm real happy with it (maybe ignorance is bliss?). I have a little extra change in my pocket & for a couple more days, an opportunity to buy the 2015 release Platinum card at a $30 discount. My question is to those that may have upgraded from Premium to Platinum, is it worth the now $169. Is the difference between the 2 maps worth another $169? Thanks in advance for your comments. BTW, if it makes any difference, I'm running the program in my HDS8 Gen2.

Re: Navionics Question [Re: pepop] #10806281 04/29/15 03:33 PM
W
Wayne P. Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
W
A new subscription includes a year of Freshest Data Updates and you can add Sonar Charts when you do an update. But you can get a better deal since you already own a map card.

You can get the Navionics+ version for $99 by purchasing the Navionics Update card and activating it with your Premium card.
With the Navionics+ version you get Nautical Charts and Sonar Charts

There have been a lot of waters added and updated since 2012.

You can view the current maps on the Navionics website's Web App. It has Nautical Charts and Sonar Charts. What you see displayed, you can have with an updated card.
Stuff is added to the download server every day.

Last edited by Wayne P.; 04/29/15 03:37 PM. Reason: made some corrections

Helix 12 CHIRP MEGA SI+ GPS G3N and G4N, 1198c SI, SOLIX 10 SI G3,
Helix 8 MEGA SI+ GPS G4N, SOLIX 12 SI and G3, MEGA 360, MEGA LIVE TL, RC-1
Re: Navionics Question [Re: pepop] #10806992 04/29/15 08:03 PM
G
grout-scout Online Sleepy
TFF Guru
Online Sleepy
TFF Guru
G
For me the new platinum I just purchased was wasted money. My old premium does everything this new card does except for the updates (which added nothing for the south Texas lakes).

Re: Navionics Question [Re: grout-scout] #10807225 04/29/15 09:50 PM
P
pepop Offline OP
TFF Celebrity
OP Offline
TFF Celebrity
P
Originally Posted By: grout-scout
For me the new platinum I just purchased was wasted money. My old premium does everything this new card does except for the updates (which added nothing for the south Texas lakes).

I guess that's an important point I left out of my question. The ONLY lake I fish is Palestine, except for maybe a once or twice per year trip to Lake Tyler.

Re: Navionics Question [Re: grout-scout] #10807403 04/29/15 11:06 PM
W
Wayne P. Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
W

Your Premium card does not have the Sonar Charts feature.
You can do area corrections in HD and even create a HD contour maps where there is are any maps at all.

I changed this lake with my waypoints and no map:

to this using Sonar Charts:

Re: Navionics Question [Re: pepop] #10807520 04/30/15 12:01 AM
G
TFF Guru
Online Sleepy
TFF Guru
G
Wayne, from what I have heard (maybe wrong info) the sonar charts are just guesses at what the contour lines should be doing, they aren't scanned items. Is that right? If yes, then they don't really interest me. The problem I seem to have with my new Platinum is with my lake water level. It's down 27' and it's been down for years. The premium shows all of the old shoreline but the Platinum is blank where a bunch of the shoreline is supposed to be. If my lake ever (doubtful) fills back up it seems that I will have a lake missing a bunch of the shoreline.

Re: Navionics Question [Re: grout-scout] #10807742 04/30/15 01:29 AM
W
Wayne P. Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
W
Wayne, from what I have heard (maybe wrong info) the sonar charts are just guesses at what the contour lines should be doing, they aren't scanned items. Is that right? If yes, then they don't really interest me. The problem I seem to have with my new Platinum is with my lake water level. It's down 27' and it's been down for years. The premium shows all of the old shoreline but the Platinum is blank where a bunch of the shoreline is supposed to be. If my lake ever (doubtful) fills back up it seems that I will have a lake missing a bunch of the shoreline.

If any mapping company did a survey or re-survey when the water was down, that is all the data they got to generate a contour map. Sonar does not work on land. The Platinum may have been the result of a re-survey and it can't match an older map with a different water level.
Most mapping companies purchase contour mapping from other companies and have some older data too, but only Navionics HD locations will be their own surveys.

The Sonar Charts program started with preliminary contour lines for most all bodies of water that are computer generated fake contour lines. It is not Navionics data and is only accurate where data is uploaded by those participating in the Sonar Charts program.
It is the same as buying a mapping program and processing your sonar logs, but it is a FREE service by Navionics.
Sonar logs are uploaded to the Navionics server and those sonar logs are used to adjust the preliminary contours lines where the GPS track was recorded. ONLY the exact track that is recorded is accurate. The whole body of water won't be accurate until all of it is logged.

The example I posted was for a new lake that no mapping company had even an outline for. ONLY after I uploaded the first few sonar logs did Navionics create the shoreline (zero line) to apply my data. I do some sonar logs every time I am at that lake to keep improving the overall map accuracy.

An example of doing a correction is this area that I had not logged and I knew from the overall map so far that is was missing. I have been fishing this lake since it was opened to fishing and before there was the Sonar Charts program. SO I did this track to cover that area to get that detail added. I posted these same images on another website today but forgot which one.

Note the GPS co-ordinates in the two contour map pictures:
What it was:

The Google Earth track I recorded:

The corrected map for that location:

This is a composite Google Earth track map I got from a couple of years ago to see my progress of sonar logging for that lake. Until the whole lake is solid red, the whole lake will not be accurate, but it will be more accurate that any commercial map product since I am taking the time to do the detailed coverage. Commercial mapping does not and will not cover every square foot of terrain--takes to long. They do surveys in intervals and then fill in between the measured data points with fake (interpolated) lines.

If you want more detail, the Navionics sticky topic on the Lowrance and Humminbird BBC forums has some.

Last edited by Wayne P.; 04/30/15 01:30 AM.

Re: Navionics Question [Re: pepop] #10808056 04/30/15 03:08 AM
G
TFF Guru
Online Sleepy
TFF Guru
G
thumb

Previous Thread
Index