Print Thread
Fly Fishing Set Up #12315385 06/28/17 09:27 PM
Y
Yamonne Offline OP
Angler
OP Offline
Angler
Y
What would be a nice set up for under $350? I go to school at Arkansas, so its only an hour drive to the white river. We catch a lot of bows up there and we occasionally hook into a brown. I recently got a TFO Mini Mag set up 8-10 wt 300-400 Gr, 8 foot rod with a Prism CLA 9/11 from a family member, but everyone I've talked to has said that it's too big to fish for trout. If it's too big, I would sell that set up to buy one that's the right size. The goal is to really get into fly fishing this next semester. Thanks in advance!

Re: Fly Fishing Set Up [Re: Yamonne] #12315425 06/28/17 09:53 PM
C
COFF Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
C
I'd think you will need at least a 9' rod for the white. River is very high this year and if you do any nymphing you will need that to get your line out of the water, and help with mending.

I saw a bunch of guys throwing BIG streamers for browns, and for that the 8-10 wt is very appropriate. The guides I was with stuck to a 6wt, either 9' or 10' long.

Re: Fly Fishing Set Up [Re: Yamonne] #12315806 06/29/17 01:19 AM
G
Glitchmo Offline
Angler
Angler
G
Throwing big streamers for browns on an 8wt in the White River sounds like a very frustrating way to learn. That's not a high percentage game.

I would go with the standard 9' 5wt. That's, in my opinion, the most versatile rod you can get, and the easiest to learn on. For $350 you have a ton of options -- you'd be best served hitting the local shop and trying things until you find something you like. Just tell them your budget and they'll work around that for you. Last thing -- don't go cheap on the fly line. It's the most important part of the system.

As an aside, if you can swing it I would hold onto the Minimag. If you stick with fly fishing, an 8wt is usually the second rod you would want.

Re: Fly Fishing Set Up [Re: Yamonne] #12315889 06/29/17 01:42 AM
F
fshng84 Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
F
Had a Reader ask a question on a fly fishing combo for a beginner. Here is our reply.

Like others mentioned... like the 5wt.

Re: Fly Fishing Set Up [Re: Yamonne] #12320750 07/02/17 02:49 PM
R
RonL Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
R
I agree with going with a 5-wt combo . Lots of great combos for the price you mentioned and 9' is a very good size . If your fishing large rivers with rushing water then go with a 8-10 wt and 10-11 ft . I use a Cabela's 5wt , 9' and I like it really well .

RonL
Re: Fly Fishing Set Up [Re: Yamonne] #12321361 07/03/17 12:26 AM
R
RonL Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
R
Just saw on Cabela's website that they have a big sale on Sage rods and one of their reels . www.cabelas.com

RonL
Re: Fly Fishing Set Up [Re: Yamonne] #12321425 07/03/17 01:17 AM
M
mbarker68x Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
M
I'm a ul fanatic, s I have to go against all the 5 wt suggestions. Go with a 3wt. My BVK 3wt was my go to rod the years I spent in Colorado. With practice and self control you can land big fish 20-24" range with no issues. I very seldom keep any fish for the frier. And never large trout, I released all caught with zero mortality rate. The flexibility of the lighter rods protects your light tippets and pretty much fights the fish for you. You may wonder why I recommend a 3wt when I'm selling it. I went lighter with a 2wt, and it hasn't seen use since. Big miss conception light rods are for small fish, I disagree the only limiting factor is the size fly you can cast and how windy it is for your distance. Both of which can be worked around. 2 wt in 15-20mph winds with a size 4-8 heavy clouser. Not pretty by any means but it can be done.

Re: Fly Fishing Set Up [Re: Yamonne] #12321525 07/03/17 02:23 AM
L
Linecaster Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
L
I agree with the above post 100 percent. Too many sneer at light weight rods but I can assure you that you will have 10 times the fun on a Ultra Light rod.

In the beginning God created. Gen. 1:1
All things were made by him and without him was not anything made. John 1:3
Re: Fly Fishing Set Up [Re: Yamonne] #12322320 07/03/17 06:39 PM
J
Jim Ford Online Content
Extreme Angler
Online Content
Extreme Angler
J
To clarify what some folks have said here, many well-meaning people will tell you that you need a specific weight rod for a specific species / size fish. I hear over and over, "You need an 8 weight for reds, a 6 weight for specks, a 5 weight for rainbows/white bass/bream", etc. Ignore that. The rod weight is all about what you are casting, and under what conditions you are casting it. If you need to throw heavily weighted flies, you will need a heavier rod and matching line. If you are fighting heavy winds, you need a heavier rod than normal (generally -- there are a lot of factors at play in that scenario). If you are throwing tiny unweighted flies, a 1 weight rod will suffice, and increase the fun. If I can land a 150 pound tarpon on an 11 weight setup, why would an 8 weight setup be required for a four pound redfish? I routinely use a half weight and a 2 weight in salt water. But at times, the wind or the depth of the fish and the speed of the water requires me to step up to my 8 wt. in exactly the same spot, so I can throw flies with large lead eyes to get down deep quickly in a swift current. I'm catching the same fish, but one day I can do it with my half weight rod and on other days I need a heavy rod. The flies and the conditions dictate the rod weight, not the fish you are casting at. Evaluate the predominant conditions, and base your selection of an outfit on that. You'll have a whole lot more fun.

Re: Fly Fishing Set Up [Re: mbarker68x] #12322444 07/03/17 08:01 PM
Riverdog Offline
Angler
Angler
Originally Posted By: mbarker68x
I'm a ul fanatic, s I have to go against all the 5 wt suggestions. Go with a 3wt. My BVK 3wt was my go to rod the years I spent in Colorado. With practice and self control you can land big fish 20-24" range with no issues. I very seldom keep any fish for the frier. And never large trout, I released all caught with zero mortality rate. The flexibility of the lighter rods protects your light tippets and pretty much fights the fish for you. You may wonder why I recommend a 3wt when I'm selling it. I went lighter with a 2wt, and it hasn't seen use since. Big miss conception light rods are for small fish, I disagree the only limiting factor is the size fly you can cast and how windy it is for your distance. Both of which can be worked around. 2 wt in 15-20mph winds with a size 4-8 heavy clouser. Not pretty by any means but it can be done.

The above - so many folks that grew up dragging LM's out of the weeds apply the same brute force, ignorance and lack of skill/finesse to fly fishing. A huge part of fly fishing is the weight of the rod as it relates to the wind.

Joe
Re: Fly Fishing Set Up [Re: Jim Ford] #12322462 07/03/17 08:13 PM
Riverdog Offline
Angler
Angler
Originally Posted By: Jim Ford
To clarify what some folks have said here, many well-meaning people will tell you that you need a specific weight rod for a specific species / size fish. I hear over and over, "You need an 8 weight for reds, a 6 weight for specks, a 5 weight for rainbows/white bass/bream", etc. Ignore that. The rod weight is all about what you are casting, and under what conditions you are casting it. If you need to throw heavily weighted flies, you will need a heavier rod and matching line. If you are fighting heavy winds, you need a heavier rod than normal (generally -- there are a lot of factors at play in that scenario). If you are throwing tiny unweighted flies, a 1 weight rod will suffice, and increase the fun. If I can land a 150 pound tarpon on an 11 weight setup, why would an 8 weight setup be required for a four pound redfish? I routinely use a half weight and a 2 weight in salt water. But at times, the wind or the depth of the fish and the speed of the water requires me to step up to my 8 wt. in exactly the same spot, so I can throw flies with large lead eyes to get down deep quickly in a swift current. I'm catching the same fish, but one day I can do it with my half weight rod and on other days I need a heavy rod. The flies and the conditions dictate the rod weight, not the fish you are casting at. Evaluate the predominant conditions, and base your selection of an outfit on that. You'll have a whole lot more fun.

Yes, yes and yes...for a fine example take a short trip to Arkansas/Missouri watch some guys land larger brown's on #3 rods with light tippets. I never really learned how to "fish" until I spent time a guide on the White River. Don came from Alaska, learned to fish on a fly rod, almost always fished on a fly rod. The only time he changed was for the $ when a customer showed up and for whatever reason, ultra light spinning tackle was the best choice. I am not being ugly, mean, disparaging, etc...go find someone like that, you will learn so much.

Joe
Re: Fly Fishing Set Up [Re: Yamonne] #12322482 07/03/17 08:20 PM
F
fshng84 Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
F
Originally Posted By: JuniorPro22
What would be a nice set up for under $350? I go to school at Arkansas, so its only an hour drive to the white river. We catch a lot of bows up there and we occasionally hook into a brown. I recently got a TFO Mini Mag set up 8-10 wt 300-400 Gr, 8 foot rod with a Prism CLA 9/11 from a family member, but everyone I've talked to has said that it's too big to fish for trout. If it's too big, I would sell that set up to buy one that's the right size. The goal is to really get into fly fishing this next semester. Thanks in advance!

What did you decide on?

Re: Fly Fishing Set Up [Re: fshng84] #12322511 07/03/17 08:36 PM
Y
Yamonne Offline OP
Angler
OP Offline
Angler
Y
Originally Posted By: fshng84

What did you decide on?

So I ended up going to the TFO factory and asking if I could exchange it for another one of their set ups. I didn't want to have the hassle of trying to sell it and dealing with prices. When I went into the factory, they were extremely nice and said they would exchange it. However the only problem they ran into was that the mini mag was more expensive than every set up that fit my needs. They said they would call me after the 4th regarding the exchange. I would like to get a Pro 2 rod with maybe a BVK or NXT reel. I really appreciate everyones help on this! Ill let yall know what I end up actually getting this week.

Re: Fly Fishing Set Up [Re: Yamonne] #12325146 07/05/17 07:42 PM
F
fshng84 Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
F
Originally Posted By: fshng84

What did you decide on?

So I ended up going to the TFO factory and asking if I could exchange it for another one of their set ups. I didn't want to have the hassle of trying to sell it and dealing with prices. When I went into the factory, they were extremely nice and said they would exchange it. However the only problem they ran into was that the mini mag was more expensive than every set up that fit my needs. They said they would call me after the 4th regarding the exchange. I would like to get a Pro 2 rod with maybe a BVK or NXT reel. I really appreciate everyones help on this! Ill let yall know what I end up actually getting this week.

Thanks for the update! All the best on their reply on the exchange.

Re: Fly Fishing Set Up [Re: Yamonne] #12332230 07/10/17 04:00 PM
Y
Yamonne Offline OP
Angler
OP Offline
Angler
Y
So I ended up getting a BVK rod with a Prism CLA 5/6 reel and I could not be happier. Those guys at TFO are really some of the nicest guys I've met. They gave me a full tour of their entire factory and walked me through the exchange with no hick ups what so ever. Now I cant wait to hook into a trout up in Arkansas in August

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide