Print Thread
Monday's DFF Meeting and Other FF'ing Events #12016422 01/02/17 10:03 PM
R
RexW Offline OP
TFF Team Angler
OP Offline
TFF Team Angler
R

Hello Everyone, we have several fly fishing events coming up in the DFW area: The Dallas Fly Fishers meeting on Monday, January 9 (one week later than usual), the Red River Rendezvous Friday and Saturday, January 27 and 28, and The Texas Fly Fishing & Brew Festival March 11 & 12 in Plano.

DFF Meeting Jan 9 - First, Id like to invite you to join me at this months Dallas Fly Fishers meeting on Monday, January 9. Note that we are meeting one week later than usual due to the holiday. I will be the speaker at this months meeting and well have a double feature of topics this month. The main meeting will start at the regular meeting time of 7:00 pm and the topic will be A Deeper Look at Fly Lines. We will discuss leaders, fly lines, and fly design with an emphasis on sinking fly lines. Well talk about what happens when the fly sinks below the surface when were fishing at deeper depths.

Prior to the main meeting, well have a discussion starting at 5:30 about fly casting with some instruction tips to help someone learn to cast a fly rod. The DFF club leads a lot of how to fly fish classes and part of this session will aimed at helping with the fly casting portion of those classes. However, well also discuss so general casting topics, so well have something for everyone. Please come join us. The meeting is held at the Wyndum Hotel in Dallas near the corner of 75 and 635. The meeting starts at 7:00 and the casting discussion will start at 5:30, next Monday, January 9.

Red River Rendezvous Jan 27 and 28 The Red River Fly Fishers will be hosting this years Red River Rendezvous on Jan 27 and 28 at Eisenhower state park on the shores of Lake Texoma. The name and location has changed a few times, but this event may be the longest running annual event in the DFW area focused on fly tying. Some of the best fly tyers from the area and even from out of the area attend this event. If you have any interest in fly tying, you should not miss this event. Ive learned most of my fly tying skills at this event through the years. Online videos can be a great learning tool, but they dont compare to the opportunity to work with someone in person. I encourage you to join us for this event, it is good one. In addition to fly tying, well spend some time outside casting if anyone wants some help and the weather cooperates. Here are a few other details; the Red River Fly Fishers will provide dinner Friday evening for all participants and meals on Saturday will be pot luck style (the Rec Hall has a full kitchen). The Rendezvous will run from 12:00 Noon on Friday January 27 till 8:00 PM on Saturday January 28. Come out and enjoy some great fellowship, fly tying, fishing, casting, and relaxation. And, if you need another reason to come out, the Red River below the dam has been fishing good recently.

Texas Fly Fishing & Brew Festival, March 11 12, Plano, TX - OK, weve got a mixed blessing this year. We will have three significant fly fishing events this year in the DFW area in March; Fly Fish Texas in Athens, the Trinity River event in Fort Worth, and the Texas Fly Fishing & Brew Festival in Plano. Unfortunately, they are all on the same weekend. Ive been helping with Fly Fish Texas for more than a dozen years, but this year I think I will be going to the Plano event. The list of speakers at the Plano event is impressive and includes: Lefty Kreh, Bob Clouser, Ed Jaworowski, Tom Rosenbauer, Brian OKeith, Wanda Taylor, Chad Johnson, Kevin Howell, David Leake, Stacy Lynn, Tom Melvin, Mike Mercer, Frank Smethurst, Mike Sprague, Kevin Stubbs, and more. Folks, this is the strongest line up of speakers that I have ever seen in Dallas at one time. I have heard many of these people and this is a really good group of speakers. It would be wonderful if this would become an annual event in Dallas, but for that to happen, we need to show up and attend this years event. It is a two day event, so, if you plan to go to one of the other events on Saturday, please consider attended the Plano event on Sunday. Several years ago a different national fly fishing show came Dallas and attendance was poor and they didnt come back. I agree that it stinks that everything is scheduled for the same weekend, but this one looks like a good show and I encourage you to take a look at it and consider attending. More details: http://txflyfishingfestival.org/

Thanks and I hope to see you next Monday at the DFF meeting!

Thanks,
Rex Walker

Fly Fishers International certified casting instructor
TFO Rods pro staff
Re: Monday's DFF Meeting and Other FF'ing Events [Re: RexW] #12016939 01/03/17 02:20 AM
M
MtnDew Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
M
Thanks for the post, I was just wondering what events were coming up. I am thinking of taking the leap into fly fishing, so will see you all on Jan 9.

Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide