Print Thread
First Saltwater Fish OTF - Port A Report #11954827 11/28/16 04:34 PM
G
Glitchmo Offline OP
Angler
OP Offline
Angler
G
I just got back from spending Thanksgiving at the beach -- we rented a condo in Port Aransas for the long weekend.

I recently moved to TX from Los Angeles, so I was in saltwater withdrawal. But, I've also switched to fly fishing 90% of the time, so I had to try to combine those things in this trip.

The first day I fished the south jetty of Aransas pass.

The wind was running pretty high all trip -- at least 15 knots or more the whole time. I saw a few folks landing big reds, mainly fishing cut bait on the bottom, but I didn't really have the patience or the gear for that on this trip. The first day I landed one trout on a swim bait in 30m or so of fishing.

I fished flies after that, now having a little confidence that fish were around, but with the wind it was tough going.

Day 2 I took the ferry over to the north jetty, which is such a cool place.

Again, I saw several big reds landed by other folks fishing bait, and the sheephead were hitting very well on live shrimp. I stuck to lighter gear and reaction baits, though. Wind was up again, but coming from the north. So towards the end of my couple hours on the north side I moved inside off the jetty itself to get away from the worst of the wind and try my luck with the fly gear at a spot suggested by another fisherman.

After looking at some of the mullet other people were using for bait I tied on a olive/white clouser to match it, and a few casts into the channel later I landed my second trout of the trip and my first saltwater fish on the fly.

I caught another two within the next 15 minutes or so, including a better ~18" model before the tide changed again, and they stopped biting.

They came home for dinner, which was also excellent.

Day three I decided to try my hand at flats fishing for the first time. I had a few suggestions of places to try, even though I didn't have a boat or anything, which I'm sure were good. But the wind was still up, and it was overcast so visibility was poor. While wandering around the marsh I spooked a few unidentified fish, which could have been reds but could have also been mullet for all I know. I never had a clear shot at fish, and blind casting to deeper areas proved unproductive for me. So the morning flats session ended in nothing after I got frustrated and headed home. I think I needed either a boat, a guide, or better conditions, but I don't think I was even really in the game this time.

At the end of day two we headed down to the Fish Pass jetties for a last visit to the sand, which Christina and I both miss from LA. While she was posting things to social media I managed to beat the skunk for the day by catching a few elusive and highly sought after saltwater catfish. smile

So, from a fishing perspective, medium successful. I'd like to get into the flats game, but I'm gonna need some more time on the water and some help. From a vacation perspective, it was an awesome trip. Port A is a great place to visit. There's so much to do and see, and so much wildlife. Both Christina and I are looking forward to our next visit (though I'm not sure she realizes how much a guide is going to cost....). The drive from DFW sucks, though.

Re: First Saltwater Fish OTF - Port A Report [Re: Glitchmo] #11956143 11/29/16 05:48 AM
banker-always fishing Offline
Pumpkin Head
Pumpkin Head
Awesome post and nice fish. Thanks for sharing. thumb

[Linked Image][Linked Image]

IGFA World Record Rio Grande Cichlid. Lake Dunlap.

John 3:16

Sinner's Prayer. God forgive me a sinner. I accept Jesus Christ as my Savior !
Re: First Saltwater Fish OTF - Port A Report [Re: Glitchmo] #11956168 11/29/16 08:00 AM
J
j_hirn2 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
J
The wfe and me really like staying at Port A. It's beaches aren't as pretty and the water isn't as clear as South Padre Island, but the fishing is good and there's lots of good places to eat and Corpus Cristi is just down the road.

We haven't been down there since I caught the fly fishing bug, but I've got a 9' 8 wt with saltwater line just waiting to go. Ive got a 19' bay boat, but it hasn't made me a better fisherman.

For me the drive down is no big deal because I am so psyched to be going fishing. It's the drive home that's a beat down.

Do you take 35 to San Antonio and from there to Corpus? Sometimes we go that way and sometimes we hit 77 in Waco to Victoria head east to state highway 35, south to Aransas Pass, then take the causeway to the ferry and on in to PA.

It's a lot more scenic and less miles, but you get slowed down by the towns along the way.

Those are some pretty nice specks you caught on your fly rod.

The tug is the drug
Re: First Saltwater Fish OTF - Port A Report [Re: Glitchmo] #11956929 11/29/16 07:56 PM
G
Glitchmo Offline OP
Angler
OP Offline
Angler
G
We took 35 down to near Austin, then a whole series of state roads I can't recall right now -- we did whatever google maps was telling us.

I'm looking forward to some bluewater fishing as well. Might go conventional for that, though.

Re: First Saltwater Fish OTF - Port A Report [Re: Glitchmo] #11956965 11/29/16 08:19 PM
K
karstopo Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
K
Nice, clousers are hard to beat for just about anything that swims. Nice getting those speckled trout off the jetties.

Re: First Saltwater Fish OTF - Port A Report [Re: Glitchmo] #11957125 11/29/16 09:35 PM
L
Linecaster Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
L
Very interesting report. Nice to hear happiness regarding the fishing and location accommodation entertainment etc. I guess my 5 weight will have to do.

In the beginning God created. Gen. 1:1
All things were made by him and without him was not anything made. John 1:3
Re: First Saltwater Fish OTF - Port A Report [Re: Glitchmo] #11957212 11/29/16 10:17 PM
G
Glitchmo Offline OP
Angler
OP Offline
Angler
G
You're gonna have a hard time with a 5wt if it's as windy as it was for me, IMO.

Originally Posted By: karstopo
Nice, clousers are hard to beat for just about anything that swims. Nice getting those speckled trout off the jetties.

Honestly, if I'm not fishing for trout I have a clouser on 75% of the time at this point. Bluegill/bass poppers are the other 25%.

Re: First Saltwater Fish OTF - Port A Report [Re: Glitchmo] #11959665 12/01/16 06:30 AM
O
OliverBassin Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
O
Nice pictures. Good trip. Thanks for sharing

Why so complicated?
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide