Print Thread
Need Help #11559194 04/22/16 05:40 PM
W
wh2004 Offline OP
TFF Team Angler
OP Offline
TFF Team Angler
W
New to fly fishing. I have owned an Orvis Encounter II combo for about 2 years and I am embarrassed to say that I am pulling it out of the cases for the first time today. Rod says "wt. 3 1/4 oz 5wt line"

The clear line (leader/tippet) on the road is about 6 to 8' long and is tapered. Then it connects to a yellow rubbery line (fly line) by a loop. I am guessing this line floats. Then there is orange braided looking backer line. All this line came on the reel so I am guessing it is probably 5wt line??

So here's my questions, with this setup, what size/type fly should I use? And what does the numbers mean as far as 5wt, etc..?
Finally, a few good people on here donated some flies to me a while back so I have a good 30 or so of many sizes/shapes. I just don't know what each is for, if they float or not (other than the obvious cork ones), and how each should be retrieved....
Any help?

Re: Need Help [Re: wh2004] #11559252 04/22/16 06:03 PM
W
wh2004 Offline OP
TFF Team Angler
OP Offline
TFF Team Angler
W
Here's a basic question. If I am fishing a pond where there's no movement in the water, what is the best way to retrieve? Just pull line in a little at a time to move the fly? You let this line fall to the ground right?

Also, do you strip as much line as you want to cast out before casting? For example, I want to cast 20ft out in the water, so I strip 20 ft out to lay next to me, then cast it out?

Re: Need Help [Re: wh2004] #11559282 04/22/16 06:10 PM
S
Smurfs Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
S
Watch youtube videos or take a beginner class would be my suggestions.

Re: Need Help [Re: wh2004] #11559313 04/22/16 06:24 PM
M
mickfly Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
M
wh2004:

Lots of good questions here, many of which would be answered for you at a good introductory fly fishing class. Local Orvis stores offer a Fly Fishing 101 class that I believe is free, so you should check into that.

Another option is to show up with your new rig at a meeting of a local fly fishing club. One that's fairly close to you is the Ft. Worth Fly Fishers. See their website at fortworthflyfishers.org for details on their meetings, casting clinics, etc.

There are also lots of good beginning fly casting and fly fishing videos on the web. Go to YouTube and search for beginning fly fishing or beginning fly casting for helpful tips. Often watching is much easier than reading someone's explanations.

All that said, if you bought or were given the outfit as a set, then yes, your line is likely a five weight floating line. The backing sits behind it on the reel spool and the tapered leader in front. You'll probably want to pick up a couple more leaders and some tippet material to replenish the leader after it's been cut back a few times as you change flies.

Rod weights are determined by the materials used in the rod and the taper given to those materials, they range for very light (down to 000 weight) to very heavy (14 weight or more). A five weight rod is the typical weight for a starter rod and can be very versatile, good for bass, panfish, trout, white bass and other fish of similar size. The weight of the line is determined by the weight, in grains, of the first 30 feet of line. There are charts to give the details, but suffice to say that the line weight should match the rod weight in order to effectively load that rod for the cast.

So, yes, you should strip line off the reel to the approximate distance you wish to cast the fly, then play the line out to that length with series of false casts [this is one of those places where a video is much better than a written explanation, so find one that shows someone learning to cast a fly line].

Regarding your flies, you should also take them to a fly shop or a fly fishing club and have someone go through them with you, naming them and describing (a) whether they fit your rod's weight; (b) what they are designed to imitate; and (c) given the above, how they should be fished, whether dead drift (no action), twitched, or stripped (by pulling the line in a bit at a time). Most bug imitations would be fished dead drift or stripped, while baitfish imitations would be stripped to simulate a baitfish darting thru the water.

That's about it for now. Go find yourself a willing mentor or visit some websites and YouTube videos to give yourself a feel for how to get started.

And enjoy!

Last edited by mickfly; 04/22/16 06:26 PM.

Mickfly
Fish Friendly -- Life's too short to do it any other way
Re: Need Help [Re: mickfly] #11559326 04/22/16 06:28 PM
S
Smurfs Online Content
TFF Celebrity
Online Content
TFF Celebrity
S
Originally Posted By: mickfly
wh2004:

Lots of good questions here, many of which would be answered for you at a good introductory fly fishing class. Local Orvis stores offer a Fly Fishing 101 class that I believe is free, so you should check into that.

Another option is to show up with your new rig at a meeting of a local fly fishing club. One that's fairly close to you is the Ft. Worth Fly Fishers. See their website at fortworthflyfishers.org for details on their meetings, casting clinics, etc.

There are also lots of good beginning fly casting and fly fishing videos on the web. Go to YouTube and search for beginning fly fishing or beginning fly casting for helpful tips. Often watching is much easier than reading someone's explanations.

All that said, if you bought or were given the outfit as a set, then yes, your line is likely a five weight floating line. The backing sits behind it on the reel spool and the tapered leader in front. You'll probably want to pick up a couple more leaders and some tippet material to replenish the leader after it's been cut back a few times as you change flies.

Rod weights are determined by the materials used in the rod and the taper given to those materials, they range for very light (down to 000 weight) to very heavy (14 weight or more). A five weight rod is the typical weight for a starter rod and can be very versatile, good for bass, panfish, trout, white bass and other fish of similar size. The weight of the line is determined by the weight, in grains, of the first 30 feet of line. There are charts to give the details, but suffice to say that the line weight should match the rod weight in order to effectively load that rod for the cast.

So, yes, you should strip line off the reel to the approximate distance you wish to cast the fly, then play the line out to that length with series of false casts [this is one of those places where a video is much better than a written explanation, so find one that shows someone learning to cast a fly line].

Regarding your flies, you should also take them to a fly shop or a fly fishing club and have someone go through them with you, naming them and describing (a) whether they fit your rod's weight; (b) what they are designed to imitate; and (c) given the above, how they should be fished, whether dead drift (no action), twitched, or stripped (by pulling the line in a bit at a time). Most bug imitations would be fished dead drift or stripped, while baitfish imitations would be stripped to simulate a baitfish darting thru the water.

That's about it for now. Go find yourself a willing mentor or visit some websites and YouTube videos to give yourself a feel for how to get started.

And enjoy!

What he said! thumb

Re: Need Help [Re: wh2004] #11559352 04/22/16 06:45 PM
R
RexW Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
R
Try to attend this event if you can. They'll help answer many of these questions.

http://texasfishingforum.com/forums/ubbt...rt#Post11553014

Fly Fishers International certified casting instructor
TFO Rods pro staff
Re: Need Help [Re: wh2004] #11559436 04/22/16 07:19 PM
W
wh2004 Offline OP
TFF Team Angler
OP Offline
TFF Team Angler
W
Thanks mickfly. I got out and casted about 50 times just now in the yard. I didn't find it overly difficult except I don't pause long enough a lot of the time and it causes the fly to pop like a whip. Ended up stopping for now because it broke off. Looking up false casting now.

Re: Need Help [Re: wh2004] #11559452 04/22/16 07:32 PM
Cast Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
Relax, don't work the rod, let the rod do the work. Lift the rod, don't cast, lift. That light rod is reacting in slow motion. Feel the rod load up behind you, then bring the rod forward, again slowly. If the leader cracks, you didn't let the rod load long enough.

It's easy if you forget all the bs and hype about a perfect cast. Close your eyes and try it.

Cast

[Linked Image]

I have a short attention spa
Re: Need Help [Re: wh2004] #11559570 04/22/16 08:44 PM
R
RexW Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
R
Originally Posted By: wh2004
Thanks mickfly. I got out and casted about 50 times just now in the yard. I didn't find it overly difficult except I don't pause long enough a lot of the time and it causes the fly to pop like a whip. Ended up stopping for now because it broke off. Looking up false casting now.

The "popping" sound usually indicates that the rod has started moving forward too soon, before the line has had time to nearly straighten on the backcast.

This can be very expensive casting error since the fly is often popped off into the weeds when this sound is made...

Casting a fly rod is different that using a casting or spinning rod where wrist movement is important. The key to casting a fly rod is to move your hand back and forth using your elbow and shoulder instead of your wrist (this movement is called stroke).

I think of a fly cast as being similar to tossing a dart. How do you throw a dart? The dart board is usually about eye level. Start with the dart near your ear and move it forward in a straight line toward the board and then near the end you'll make a slight flick of the wrist and release the dart. Use too much wrist rotation and the dart will fly into the floor. Flick your wrist before moving the dart forward and the dart will fly into the ceiling.

The fly cast has a similar motion. Move the rod forward, forward, forward, and then flick to a STOP. (Remember to hold on the rod and don't let go like you would with a dart.) For the backcast, think about throwing a dart backward over your shoulder.

The forward casting motion looks similar to this: \\\\\\\\o/ . <<< Notice how late in the cast the rod is rotated? As near to the stop as possible.

Also, notice that the rod is stopped high. It is not stopped when it is pointed at the water. If you rotate the rod to where is feels like it is pointed down, then the fly line will go down into the water similar to throwing a dart at the floor. You want the fly line to go out straight ahead of you, so stop the rod high. (This is important to remember on the back cast too. The backcast and the forward cast should be symmetrical.)

Good Luck!

Last edited by RexW; 04/22/16 08:47 PM.

Fly Fishers International certified casting instructor
TFO Rods pro staff
Re: Need Help [Re: wh2004] #11559609 04/22/16 09:08 PM
W
wh2004 Offline OP
TFF Team Angler
OP Offline
TFF Team Angler
W
Quote:
Also, notice that the rod is stopped high. It is not stopped when it is pointed at the water. If you rotate the rod to where is feels like it is pointed down, then the fly line will go down into the water similar to throwing a dart at the floor. You want the fly line to go out straight ahead of you, so stop the rod high. (This is important to remember on the back cast too. The backcast and the forward cast should be symmetrical.

Good call here. I was casting about 30-40ft but a few times it would only go half that distance or less. Guarantee that is was bringing the rod down too far.

Re: Need Help [Re: wh2004] #11559781 04/22/16 11:40 PM
Y
YAKnIT Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
Y
If you are new to it and have a 5 weight, keep the flies smaller and keep it simple. If you want to fish locally for bass/sandies, start with smaller wooly buggers, small clouser minnows, and smaller poppers. Don't try anything that is weighted too heavily - that will be an exercise in frustration. For bream, there are lots of small panfish bugs and poppers that would work. If you go to any decent fly shop and tell them you have a 5 weight, they should be able to help out. Keep it simple and don't buy a zillion flies. Learning to cast will be enough to think about without sorting through a bunch of flies.
There's lots of good advice above about casting. A class or seminar is a great idea. Some places (like maybe Bass Pro) sometimes do free casting clinics. It is a steep learning curve and way different than conventional gear. You will snag a rally nice assortment of trees, shrubs, your hat, etc with the back cast. That's normal and everybody's been there before. I would recommend starting in places where you don't have much stuff behind you to snag.

Good luck and have fun.

Re: Need Help [Re: wh2004] #11560170 04/23/16 02:49 AM
B
Bill Gammel Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
B
PM sent

Re: Need Help [Re: wh2004] #11562559 04/24/16 10:08 PM
W
wh2004 Offline OP
TFF Team Angler
OP Offline
TFF Team Angler
W
Went out today. Kinda windy. Could barely get it 15 feet out in the water. Then I was like now what? lol A few strips and it was back in.

Re: Need Help [Re: wh2004] #11563166 04/25/16 03:00 AM
S
spacemonkey Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
S
Good advice given above. I see your in weatherford area. I am as well. I fly fish quite often and would've happy to meet you somewhere sometime to give you a few tips, take a look at your setup and flys and help you out anyway I can. Learning can be frustrating at first. Lots of tangles and lost flies. A length of yarn works great to simulate a fly when practicing in your yard. If your practicing without a fly on your line, the leader tends to whip more easily than it would with a fly.

Fly casting lessons are a great idea to learn quickly, but to me part of the fun was learning myself through time. I personally don't believe in lessons. But they would be beneficial for you.

Re: Need Help [Re: wh2004] #11563280 04/25/16 04:53 AM
C
charlief1 Offline
Angler
Angler
C
Welcome to the fun and frustration of fly fishing. roflmao A strange suggestion that might help your casting is a bowling brace. It will keep your wrist stiff and let the rod do more of the work. wink I've been doing it since I was 12 and started with a straight taper line, which casts like [censored] compared to a WF line. Get some strike indicators (others will poo poo this) so you can understand how the fish hits. It's a good way to start. One other thing is pick up a small spool of 6 lb test and make your own tippets for now. I like about 9' and up to 12'. It will be cheaper than tapered leaders for now while you're learning the basics. cheers

I'm on other forums that deal with the old turbo powered Buicks.;)
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide