Print Thread
TFO Lines #11231726 11/18/15 09:17 PM
J
Jim Ford Online Content OP
Extreme Angler
OP Online Content
Extreme Angler
J
Who's used them? I have been curious how they work since TFO announced them, but I don't know anyone who's actually tried them. The price is certainly attractive, but one has to wonder what you're giving up for the big discount. Anybody with some trigger time on their lines care to chime in?

Re: TFO Lines [Re: Jim Ford] #11231833 11/18/15 10:25 PM
R
RexW Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
R

I've been using them and I've liked them. I'll post some details tonight or tomorrow.

Fly Fishers International certified casting instructor
TFO Rods pro staff
Re: TFO Lines [Re: Jim Ford] #11232081 11/19/15 12:40 AM
J
Extreme Angler
OP Online Content
Extreme Angler
J
Thank you; looking forward to reading the details.

Re: TFO Lines [Re: Jim Ford] #11233279 11/19/15 06:44 PM
L
love2flyfish Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
L
I have been using it for a couple of months. I over lined by 3wt with the WF floating 4wt. I really like the way it casts.

Re: TFO Lines [Re: Jim Ford] #11235052 11/20/15 08:56 PM
T
tchunter Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
T
No problems with a 5WF

Preserve Wildlife - Use Freezer Bags
Re: TFO Lines [Re: Jim Ford] #11235204 11/20/15 10:39 PM
R
RexW Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
R
Sorry about the delayed response, life got in the way.

Ive been using some of the TFO fly lines for about 2 years. Ive spent more time with a 5 wt line than any other size, and Ive like it. They are designed to be general purpose lines and that is how Ive been using it. This year, Ive used the same line for double nymph rigs at Beavers Bend, dry fly fishing in Yellowstone, and for warmwater fishing in rivers and lakes around the DFW area. I have been happy with the line in each of those situations.

The line is made by Cortland for TFO and their logo is included on the packaging.

The lines use a general purpose taper design, but the actual taper varies based on the line weight. The lighter wt. lines use more of a presentation style taper, the middle wts use more of a traditional taper design, and the heavier sizes shift more weight toward the tip and use more of a rocket taper or bass taper design. The change in taper design matches how many of us fish. If I need a stealthy presentation, then Im more likely to use a lighter wt line, and when Im using heavier lines, then Im probably more worried about casting larger flies over longer distances.

The plastic used in the lines is also designed for general purpose. There are other fly lines that are designed for very cold conditions and there are lines that are designed for very hot conditions. The TFO lines are not designed for the temperature extremes, instead they use a plastic that functions well in the middle temperature ranges that most of us actually fish most often. The coldest water where Ive used these lines were some of the higher mountain lakes in Rocky Mtn National park. The lines performed fine without any memory issues, however, I have not used these lines in conditions where it is cold enough to form ice on the rod guides. If it is that cold, then you may be happier with a true cold water line that is designed for those conditions. On the other extreme, Ive had no issues using a TFO line in the heat of a Texas summer, but if I was headed to an island for a bonefishing trip, then Id get a different line that was designed for use in tropical conditions.

Some general fly line comments. Rio, SA, Cortland, and most other major brands have three levels of fly lines available. There is a budget series that is often found at some of the big box style retailers. These lines have their place, but I have not been impressed with their performance. At the other end of the spectrum are the premium fly lines. These lines have the newest plastics, additives, coatings, surface finishes, etc. These are the high performance lines and if you have special fishing conditions or a trip of a lifetime planned, then these are the fly lines that you want to take with you, but you may not need the latest and greatest designs for your daily fishing trips.

The middle of the pack fly lines is where the TFO fly lines are competing. These lines tend use more general purpose tapers, designs, and may be a generation behind in their plastic composition, but these mid-range lines have worked very well for the way I fish.

I spent most of my actual fishing time with a 5 wt TFO fly line on either a 5 wt TFO Mangrove or a 5 wt TFO Pro rod. Ive used it for both dry fly fishing and for casting nymph rigs. It has performed well with both short distance accuracy casting and with longer distance casts. The comfortable casting distance does seem to top out at about 75 feet, but I seldom fish a 5 wt anywhere near that distance.

Bottomline, Ive been impressed with the TFO lines performance. They are general purpose lines and theyve worked well for me.

Fly Fishers International certified casting instructor
TFO Rods pro staff
Re: TFO Lines [Re: Jim Ford] #11235274 11/20/15 11:16 PM
K
keebranch Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
K
Rex- that's a very accurate assessment of these lines.

I've tested them in ulff outfits up to WF4 and I like he lines finish. It's a better line than the Cortland 333 and fits under the 444 price point. Ine the $40 range it's one of the best values.

Les

http://ultralightflyfishing.com
Lightliner & creek fisherman
Re: TFO Lines [Re: Jim Ford] #11235419 11/21/15 12:31 AM
J
Extreme Angler
OP Online Content
Extreme Angler
J
Thanks guys. I have to watch the budget very closely, and the pricing on the lines looked too good to be true. I have a few Hydros lines set aside I got at an Orvis clearance, but some of my lines that I don't have backups for will need replacing before long.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide