Tying Flys Was Fun...For A While #10973580 07/13/15 03:07 PM
L
Lloyd5 Offline OP
Pro Angler
OP Offline
Pro Angler
L
Did this happen to you?

When I first started fly fishing I went a little crazy buying fly rods and reels and lines and flys. Normal newby enthusiasm. I also bought all kinds of fly tying tools and supplies - and books on tying flys.

One of the attactions for me to fly fishing is that the "lures" are much cheaper. Fly fishing really is about the least expensive form of rod fishing that I have ever tried. Losing a fly isn't like losing an expensive lure. Once you get your rods and reels and lines and vest, and waders, and fly boxes, the rest is nickel and dime stuff. I know that some people spend thousands on a fly rod, and hundreds on a reel. I'm not one of them. On a side note have you ever noticed how jacked up fly fishing supply prices are?

I set the fly tying rig up and followed instructions and tied flys, lots of them. Then I caught my first fish on a self made fly. That was a feeling I can't describe. Satisfaction doesn't come close.

After awhile I settled into fly fishing and the newby mania slowed some. Not the fishing, I fished more than ever. The fly tying slowed down. Eventually the equipment was in the way and I boxed it up, to be gotten out the next time.

The next fly tying urge came along I unboxed the stuff and tied some flys. Then put it all back in the box for the next time. The next time was a long time coming. But the next time after that just hasn't arrived.

I found inexpensive sources for the flys I like to use, buying them for less than a dollar each. Not as cheap as tying my own, but so convenient. They are shipped right to my door. The fly tying box hasn't been unpacked in ages now. Not even sure where the box is right now - somewhere in the back of the closet I guess. That's quite a few bucks sitting around somewhere.

I fly fish every chance I get, no slow down there at all. I buy new leaders and new flys as needed, but not rods and reels, not in a long time. I probably should buy new line but I still cast as far as before and, well, it doesn't seem necessary.

I know there are those that love to tie flys, I get that. I'm not one of them. Not any more. I wonder why that is.

Texas State Editor: FishExplorer http://www.fishexplorer.com/tx

http://www.amazon.com/River-Proceeds-Wou...ds=on+the+river

Warm Water Fly Fishing Nut
Re: Tying Flys Was Fun...For A While [Re: Lloyd5] #10973785 07/13/15 04:28 PM
B
Bass_Bustin_Texan Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
B
I tie flies based on the fly fishing trips I plan to go on....

Right now, I don't have any trips planned, so my vise sits empty.

I occasionally tie a fly I see in a magazine to fill the void between trips or I will daybream up an idea to tie.

I really need to plan a trip, my next planned trip isn't until December. frown

BTW, I hate to see how much I spent last year....getting all the components I needed as I was first getting started, but now I can't even find $25 of stuff to buy to get free shipping, pretty much stocked up for any fly I need to tie or any fish from a bream to a tarpon. fish

You can avoid having ulcers by adapting to the situation: If you fall in the mud puddle, check your pockets for fish. ~Unknown

Open your eyes & look within, are you satisfied with the life youre living.

No matter how good or bad you have it, wake up each day thankful for your life. Someone somewhere else is desperately fighting for theirs.
Re: Tying Flys Was Fun...For A While [Re: Bass_Bustin_Texan] #10973948 07/13/15 05:26 PM
S
Steven S. Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
S
Originally Posted By: Bass_Bustin_Texan
I tie flies based on the fly fishing trips I plan to go on....

Right now, I don't have any trips planned, so my vise sits empty.

I occasionally tie a fly I see in a magazine to fill the void between trips or I will daybream up an idea to tie.

I really need to plan a trip, my next planned trip isn't until December. frown

BTW, I hate to see how much I spent last year....getting all the components I needed as I was first getting started, but now I can't even find $25 of stuff to buy to get free shipping, pretty much stocked up for any fly I need to tie or any fish from a bream to a tarpon. fish

This is how I am too. I started out tying everything I possible could, but now it's for necessity only. If I'm going on a bass trip, I'll spend a day tying woolies or clousers or even an articulated fly if I'm feeling up to it. If I'm going for trout or snook (like in a couple weeks), I'll tie a few flies for that. Overall through, I don't tie flies unless I don't want to spend $50 at the fly shop for 10-15 of them.

Re: Tying Flys Was Fun...For A While [Re: Bass_Bustin_Texan] #10975224 07/14/15 02:34 AM
R
RexW Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
R
Originally Posted By: Bass_Bustin_Texan
... pretty much stocked up for any fly I need to tie or any fish from a bream to a tarpon.

I don't have this problem. I'm ALWAYS short one of the materials needed to tie some new pattern that I want to try...

Fly Fishers International certified casting instructor
TFO Rods pro staff
Re: Tying Flys Was Fun...For A While [Re: Lloyd5] #10977450 07/15/15 01:31 AM
C
Crazy4oldcars Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
C
6 or 7 years in, and the only times I have gone a long time between tying sessions is when I have been working so hard I don't have energy to pull everything out. (I don't have a permanent tying space.)
I have enough flies in boxes, zippy bags and tins that I could go years without tying.
I won't though.
I enjoy it for it's own sake.

Kirk

"The cheese in the mousetrap is ALWAYS free"
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide