Forum Statistics
Forums59
Topics1,037,798
Posts13,934,678
Members144,150
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Presentation Cast Casting Skills - Jan 30, 1:00, Bonham state park #11365407 01/23/16 08:22 PM
R
RexW Offline OP
TFF Team Angler
OP Offline
TFF Team Angler
R

Hello Everyone, next Saturdays weather forecast is for 70 degrees. So, anyone interested in some fly casting? woot

There are casting skills that will help you catch more fish, but we dont talk about them very often. Heres your invitation to learn about some these Presentation Casts next Saturday, during the Red River Rendezvous at Bonham state park beginning at 1:00 pm.

These Presentation Casts include the Tuck cast (discussed briefly at last months DFF meeting), Curve casts, Reach mends, a long list of Arial mending skills, and a many other casts.

OK, some of you may be wondering what in the world I am talking about and others of you may be thinking Ill never use any of this. Well, the bottom line is that these are fishing casts. They will increase your versatility and help you catch more fish. These skills can help you to efficiently fish waters that you may have skipped without them.

These casting skills can be used to improve your fly placement and lengthen the drift so your fly stays in the strike zone longer. For example, the Tuck cast helps a nymph rig to quickly sink to the bottom. An Aerial mend allows the line to be mended before it ever touches the water. Curve casts can open up water that you can not reach with a straight cast.

Ive never offered this casting topic before and we may never do it again, so come out and join us for this rare opportunity to add some new techniques to your casting skills!

This session will be open to anyone that shows up on Saturday.

Here are some of the details:

Topic: Presentation Casting Skills
Skill level: All!!!
Location: Red River Rendezvous at Bonham state park near Bonham, Texas
Date: Saturday, January 30, 2016
Time: This class will start at 1:00 pm. (The Rendezvous starts Friday afternoon and goes until Sunday morning.)

There is no charge for this class, it is included as part of the Red River Rendezvous. However, there is an entrance fee for the state park and the Red River Fly Fishers are asking for $10 to help cover the cost of the facilities.

Come out and join us!

Hey! Remember to bring your vise and spend some time tying during the Rendezvous.

Fly Fishers International certified casting instructor
TFO Rods pro staff
Re: Presentation Cast Casting Skills - Jan 30, 1:00, Bonham state park [Re: RexW] #11369816 01/26/16 12:57 AM
H
HicoHunter Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
H
Looking forward to the casting lessons Rex. By the way, thank you for the double haul class last month, it was great! See you this weekend.

Re: Presentation Cast Casting Skills - Jan 30, 1:00, Bonham state park [Re: RexW] #11371365 01/26/16 04:47 PM
Z
Zip-ur-Fly Offline
Angler
Angler
Z
I'm in. Can't afford to pass up a complimentary, open air "masters class" that close to home.

Holder of Texas State & Lake Fly Rod Records.

Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." Attributed to Thomas Jefferson.

"I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand." Confucius
Re: Presentation Cast Casting Skills - Jan 30, 1:00, Bonham state park [Re: RexW] #11372653 01/27/16 02:44 AM
R
RexW Offline OP
TFF Team Angler
OP Offline
TFF Team Angler
R
Great! I look forward to meeting you.

TFO Rods pro staff
Re: Presentation Cast Casting Skills - Jan 30, 1:00, Bonham state park [Re: RexW] #11373466 01/27/16 03:03 PM
G
Golfer Jeff Offline
Angler
Angler
G
You mean there is more to fly-fishing than indicators, nymphs, and roll casts?

One question Rex - are canine companions allowed/welcome in the park?

Thank you,

Re: Presentation Cast Casting Skills - Jan 30, 1:00, Bonham state park [Re: Golfer Jeff] #11373635 01/27/16 03:55 PM
R
RexW Offline OP
TFF Team Angler
OP Offline
TFF Team Angler
R
Originally Posted By: Golfer Jeff

One question Rex - are canine companions allowed/welcome in the park?

It looks like TP&W's policy is that pets are allowed in state parks, but they must be kept on a leash at all times. However, the policy also says that pets are not allow to enter any of the buildings. So, that could be a problem since all the fly tying activities will be inside one of the park's buildings.

I take my dog hiking at Eisenhower regularly with no issues, but I've never had him in a building so I don't know how strictly that rule is enforced.

TFO Rods pro staff
Re: Presentation Cast Casting Skills - Jan 30, 1:00, Bonham state park [Re: RexW] #11373758 01/27/16 04:44 PM
G
Golfer Jeff Offline
Angler
Angler
G
Rex - I am coming only for your casting class, outdoors. If all else fails, I'll ask if we want to go indoors. I tend to push the limits of the leash law anyway. I am just a lawbreaker that way police Anyone that has seen Magick on his leash in Beavers Bend knows what I am talking about.

70 degrees in January, casting a fly line with my pup nearby, learning from the experts, can't beat it. 1.5 hour drive de damned!

See you there

Re: Presentation Cast Casting Skills - Jan 30, 1:00, Bonham state park [Re: RexW] #11374791 01/27/16 11:11 PM
R
RexW Offline OP
TFF Team Angler
OP Offline
TFF Team Angler
R
Hey Everyone, we will have some demo rods available on Saturday for anyone that wants to cast them.

> TFO's new Impact series rod. This series uses a new generation of graphite in its construction.
> The recently redesigned TFO Clouser series rod. I've heard good reviews on this rod.
> The TFO Mangrove series rod. I have a couple of these Mangrove rods and I really like fishing these rods.

The plan is to have a 6 wt of each of these rods available. So, you will be able to make an Apples to Apples comparison of how each of these rods cast. (Why 6 wt you ask? Well, because I already had enough identical 6 wt lines and reel available to use for the comparison. smile )

If you want to cast a different TFO rod, I suspect we may be able to find an example for you to cast.

Come out and join us. It'll be a fun day!

TFO Rods pro staff
Re: Presentation Cast Casting Skills - Jan 30, 1:00, Bonham state park [Re: RexW] #11381108 01/30/16 11:26 PM
Z
Zip-ur-Fly Offline
Angler
Angler
Z
Rex, Thanks for hold the class. I picked up a couple of pointer that will certainly help going forward. Nice to meet you.

Holder of Texas State & Lake Fly Rod Records.

Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who do not." Attributed to Thomas Jefferson.

"I hear and I forget. I see and I remember. I do and I understand." Confucius
Re: Presentation Cast Casting Skills - Jan 30, 1:00, Bonham state park [Re: RexW] #11382361 01/31/16 09:32 PM
R
RexW Offline OP
TFF Team Angler
OP Offline
TFF Team Angler
R
Thanks for coming Zip, I enjoyed meeting you. It was a great day to be outside.

Jeff, I hope you were able to make it, I missed your dog if you did.

Everyone else that came out, thank you for coming out. I also want to apologize if I missed you, I know I was not able to talk to everyone. But, I hope you had fun.

Thanks Everyone,
Rex

TFO Rods pro staff
Re: Presentation Cast Casting Skills - Jan 30, 1:00, Bonham state park [Re: RexW] #11382994 02/01/16 03:29 AM
T
Texomasooner Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
T
Hey Rex, I was there but didn't hang around afterward. Thanks for the info and demonstrations. That will be very helpful in the future. I tried some of your suggestions today in the Blue River but like yesterday, the wind made it difficult.

Thanks again!!!

Re: Presentation Cast Casting Skills - Jan 30, 1:00, Bonham state park [Re: RexW] #11383398 02/01/16 02:40 PM
G
Golfer Jeff Offline
Angler
Angler
G
A chain of events conspired against me Saturday. Driving to Bonham on 121 near DFW, my supposed luxury car dropped the transmission and caused the drive computer to bug out. Limped back to dealership and got a loaner, but restrictions on it did not allow dog to be in backseat. So, no trip to RRR. Instead went shopping for new cars....

Sorry I did not make it, I was really looking forward to it. I need all the practice I can get.

I hope everything went well and the turnout was good. Seems Broken Bow/Beavers Bend is shooting for Valentines weekend re-opening.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide