Print Thread
Denison Dam Update #11245684 11/26/15 01:29 PM
T
texoma1231 Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
T
Just a short update for the fishing conditions below the Denison Dam.......The Corp. is still using only one generator during the scheduled generation times. Currently it is the South generator. However, this may change with the amount of rain that is expected over the next few days. There is a flash flood watch for much of the Texoma area for today and tonight.

I fished below the day yesterday and managed 7 fish from 8:00 until noon with the largest about 3 lbs. There are still fish to catch for the fly fisherman but it is not like it has been in the past weeks. Since the word is out about the bigger fish, the competition for fishing space is intense making it almost impossible to fly fish during generation time al least on the Texas side. I am sure that the holidays provided some additional fishing time for everyone and most took advantage. I think that the crowds will thin out as the weather cools and the holidays come to an end and there will again be some good chances at big fish for the fly fisherman.

Re: Denison Dam Update [Re: texoma1231] #11259817 12/03/15 03:49 PM
T
texasflycaster Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
T
Anything anyone can say about conditions conditions today at the dam? It looks like they're only releasing water and not generating for electricity?

Re: Denison Dam Update [Re: texoma1231] #11259836 12/03/15 03:55 PM
B
benp Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
B
I was curious as well on conditions when they are only releasing and not generating. I had much better luck with no generating or release a few weeks back and would like to go again. I assume with all the rain, it will be a while before they stop letting water out. I also have heard that the bite slows once the water temp gets around 40.

I only fish on days that end in Y!

Re: Denison Dam Update [Re: texoma1231] #11260190 12/03/15 06:32 PM
R
RexW Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
R
The flood gates are open. The generators may or may not be opened during the day, but the water volume difference between the flood gates and the generators is significant and you probably will not notice a difference in volume when the generators are turned on.

I have not been this week, but here are some general comments. Some folks may have other opinions:
- It is not safe to wade when the flood gates are open, or I would not try it.
- Fly fishing when the FG's are open is difficult, the water is moving fast and you need to make long casts.
- A LOT of BIG fish will be caught this week.
- Because the fishing is usually very good when the FG's are open, it will be VERY crowded, including boats in the river.
- Most people fishing from the bank will be using large surf casting style rods.

The lake level is somewhere around 621 vs. the normal target of 617. My guess is that the flood gates will be open for another week.

Personal opinion, I don't try to fly fish below the dam when the flood gates are open. It is impressive to see, but I prefer to fish with smaller crowds and safer waters.

Unfortunately, the flood gates do not really restock the river, going over the spillway is the process that restocks the river with fish. I find it difficult to believe that a significant number of fish are able to survive a trip through the flood gates, but the fish already in the river do get to eat well while the gates are open.

Good luck if you decide to go!

Fly Fishers International certified casting instructor
TFO Rods pro staff
Re: Denison Dam Update [Re: RexW] #11260223 12/03/15 06:40 PM
ElectricSixes Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
Originally Posted By: RexW

Unfortunately, the flood gates do not really restock the river, going over the spillway is the process that restocks the river with fish. I find it difficult to believe that a significant number of fish are able to survive a trip through the flood gates, but the fish already in the river do get to eat well while the gates are open.

I was curious about this with the dam at Possum Kingdom. I was wondering if having one gate opened for couple of days restocked the area below with new striper. I'm reading probably not. Kinda disappointing, lol.

Re: Denison Dam Update [Re: texoma1231] #11260231 12/03/15 06:43 PM
R
RexW Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
R
This picture was taken in the spring, but it will give you an idea of what to expect if you've never seen the Texoma flood gates opened and want to try fishing it. It is a very different river with the flood gates opened.

TFO Rods pro staff
Re: Denison Dam Update [Re: ElectricSixes] #11260255 12/03/15 06:52 PM
R
RexW Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
R
Originally Posted By: ElectricSixes
I was wondering if having one gate opened for couple of days restocked the area below with new striper. I'm reading probably not. Kinda disappointing, lol.

I'm sure that some fish survive, but no where near the quantity dumped in the river from the spillway.

TFO Rods pro staff
Re: Denison Dam Update [Re: texoma1231] #11261420 12/04/15 03:58 AM
T
texasflycaster Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
T
Well ... I'll bring my camera anyway! My best luck was during cold weather electric generation (after a spillway dump). It seemed almost like the fish knew the sound of the horn. I usually do the OK side because of access and casting ease, but never get in the water during any release of any kind. That'll be a serious challenge at that flow rate! Here's some old images from way back - http://texasflycaster.com/denison-dam-recent-images/ . It's hard not to get addicted to that place when it's on.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide