Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Opinions on Bowfishing? #12606535 02/02/18 05:02 AM
T
TXMulti-Species Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
T
I'd like to see some of your opinions on bowfishing.

Is it fair, or is it unfair and why?
Compared to "regular" fishing, is it more or less of a sport?
Are there any unique situations present when bowfishing that aren't with hook and line?
In addition to these, should there or should there not be rules strictly for bowfishing and why or why not?

I'll make another post with my two cents so as not to give anyone any pressure one way or another just yet. Of course, feel free to add any additional information not specifically asked for above. Appreciate ya'll's feedback!

Last edited by TXMulti-Species; 02/02/18 05:27 AM.
Re: Opinions on Bowfishing? [Re: TXMulti-Species] #12606594 02/02/18 10:25 AM
RedRanger Online Content
burro desagradable
Online Content
burro desagradable
What kind of fish?

Catfish? Bass? Gar?

Re: Opinions on Bowfishing? [Re: TXMulti-Species] #12606623 02/02/18 12:09 PM
scruboak Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
Shoot all the carp ya want

Re: Opinions on Bowfishing? [Re: TXMulti-Species] #12606626 02/02/18 12:14 PM
Jimbo Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
I used to bowfish years ago, but my target was huge Talapia that would spawn in the shallows. They are not easy to catch on hook and line, but fun to arrow, and they were pretty good grilled.
The problem with bow fishing, is there is no catch and release unless you just shoot a fish and then throw it back in the water after pictures at the boat launch.
The few have given the majority of bowfishers a black eye, that just seems to never go away.
This topic will not be a long one, and you can thank those who do what I mentioned above.

Just one more cast!

Re: Opinions on Bowfishing? [Re: Jimbo] #12606695 02/02/18 01:16 PM
B
Buzzard Breath Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
B
Originally Posted By: Jimbo

The problem with bow fishing, is there is no catch and release unless you just shoot a fish and then throw it back in the water after pictures at the boat launch.
this

DON'T LITTER!

Re: Opinions on Bowfishing? [Re: TXMulti-Species] #12606766 02/02/18 01:57 PM
BMCD Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
I think its fine, as long as you stay within the limits and do not waste. I know one guide has people lined up to take the fish if the client does not want them.

Heck I want to do it.

Last edited by BMCD; 02/02/18 01:57 PM.
Re: Opinions on Bowfishing? [Re: TXMulti-Species] #12606817 02/02/18 02:22 PM
SteveHummert Online Content
pawpaw
Online Content
pawpaw
I think it is fine as long as what is being shot is not wasted. I have done it for tilapia and it is very challenging with the reward being a very tasty fish. Unfortunately, way too many non-sportsman who dump/waste what they shoot and create a black-eye for it.

Backlash

LIKE the TFF on Facebook - www.facebook.com/texasfishingforum

Re: Opinions on Bowfishing? [Re: SteveHummert] #12606904 02/02/18 02:58 PM
B
BridgeportGuide Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
B
Originally Posted By: steve hummert
I think it is fine as long as what is being shot is not wasted. I have done it for tilapia and it is very challenging with the reward being a very tasty fish. Unfortunately, way too many non-sportsman who dump/waste what they shoot and create a black-eye for it.

A Bow Fishing "Guide" dumped 50 plus Carp and Buffalo (in August) at the Runaway Bay Marina a few years back. It reeked for weeks.

Re: Opinions on Bowfishing? [Re: TXMulti-Species] #12606925 02/02/18 03:05 PM
K
kodys'papa Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
K
Two years ago a big very well lit and very loud bow fishing boat hung around tawakoni for about a week, all night long. With a north wind, our little cove probably had 25 dead carp and buffalo rotting away for about three weeks

Hooking a fish is like playing string with a cat. The exact size, shape, color of string matters less than how you wiggle it- and little cats are easier to fool than big ones. John Gierach
Re: Opinions on Bowfishing? [Re: BridgeportGuide] #12606936 02/02/18 03:08 PM
SteveHummert Online Content
pawpaw
Online Content
pawpaw
Originally Posted By: BridgeportGuide
Originally Posted By: steve hummert

A Bow Fishing "Guide" dumped 50 plus Carp and Buffalo (in August) at the Runaway Bay Marina a few years back. It reeked for weeks.

then he should have been turned in and prosecuted. No different than any other guide, be it striper, hybrid, bass, or catfish, that is guilty of wasting our natural resources.

Backlash

LIKE the TFF on Facebook - www.facebook.com/texasfishingforum

Re: Opinions on Bowfishing? [Re: TXMulti-Species] #12607194 02/02/18 05:13 PM
T
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
T
Bowfishing certain species can certainly be fair, depending upon the time of year. When it comes to gar, bowfin, and other air breathers, there is certainly an advantage on the part of the bowfisherman. In addition, spawning fish move into shallows, lose all sense of caution, and therefore become easy targets for bowfisherman to pick off.

Bowfishing is a different kind of game. You certainly use different skills when standing up waiting for a fish to come into your line of sight compared to twitching a lure in just the right manner in just the right place to tempt a fish into biting. When comparing the skills and experience needed to hook a fish on rod and reel, simply being accurate with a bow and arrow just doesn't compare.

Are there any unique situations present when bowfishing that aren't with hook and line?
As mentioned above, spawning and air breathing make a tremendous impact on bowfishing. Whereas with hook and line these things would just give you an idea of where the fish is and where to throw your bait, you'd still have to "get lucky" to hook into one, with a bow and arrow you just aim, draw, and release. It also goes without saying that when bowfishing, you cannot "catch and release." Bowfisherman must be aware of this and be ready to consume any fish they decide to take.

In addition to these, should there or should there not be rules strictly for bowfishing and why or why not?
There should most certainly be rules that apply to bowfishing and perhaps even a few more for hook and line. The idea that you can take any size and amount of rough or "trash" fish is absurd. They should be regulated just as any other resource would. Any sportsman would get pissed if someone came and took home a cooler (or several) of trophy sized bass, catfish, or crappie. Why shouldn't we get upset over someone taking several trophy sized buffalo, carp, drum, or gar?

On the subject of bowfishing specifically, there should certainly be some sort of "season," just as there is a season for deer, duck, or any other game. These seasons would either be built around the spawn of certain species or simply prevent anyone from bowfishing during the spawn.

On to the topic of waste that inevitably comes up during these discussions, this crime should get much more enforcement and punishment than it does now. Whether you be a hook and line angler or bowfisherman, there is simply no excuse to dump your catch or your trash anywhere. As stated above, you must be prepared to consume whatever you take, and no, you are not "chumming" with your boatload of alligator gar and buffalo, nor are you "consuming" when you're using a (whole) fish as fertilizer. There are other, and better, options for both. Just imagine, for a second, that someone took a deer legally, dug a hole, and buried the entire thing - meat, skin, and all - as fertilizer. Surely you'd be fuming. Fish are no different. It's not unreasonable to eat the meat then use the remains as fertilizer. It should go without saying that we never waste something with potential use, and there should be clear and reasonable priorities/requirements for use much like the ones I've stated above.

For those who enjoy taking boatloads of fish... for both bowfishing and hook and line, we should encourage the taking of invasive species from our waters. No limits on size or amount when it comes to invasive fish, as long as one has taken a short one-time class on how to properly identify the species both in and out of the water. On the topic of classes, we've got "hunter's education," so why not "fisherman's education?"

I'm not against the sport of bowfishing, but I personally can't give the same amount of respect to a bowfisherman that shoots an 80lb buffalo as I can to an angler that hooks an 80lb buffalo and lands it. We should still be able to do both of these things, and for fish that cannot be landed by any other means (paddlefish), snagging and bowfishing should certainly be an option (once populations recover). We need to understand that rules are in place for a reason, and that we shouldn't follow them just because we're supposed to or even argue about whether or not literal or implied interpretations are correct. We should understand that we are managing a natural resource, and representing our sport in whatever we do concerning it. If we still want there to be fish, and still be able to fish for them, we should be responsible, reasonable, and most importantly, honest.

Last edited by TXMulti-Species; 02/02/18 05:14 PM.

Catch and release. The dream - to catch one of every species of Freshwater fish in our great state! If only I can resist Carp...
https://txmultispecies.imgur.com/
[Linked Image]
Re: Opinions on Bowfishing? [Re: TXMulti-Species] #12607203 02/02/18 05:21 PM
M
Max_S Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
M
Originally Posted By: TXMulti-Species
I'd like to see some of your opinions on bowfishing.

I'll make another post with my two cents so as not to give anyone any pressure one way or another just yet. Of course, feel free to add any additional information not specifically asked for above. Appreciate ya'll's feedback!

I have nothing against it even though I'm not a bowfisher. It looks like fun and every bit as challenging as rod and reel fishing, so I'll probably get around to trying it one of these days.

What I am against is the attitude of killing fish and dumping them on the bank or in the trash rather than using them (for food, bait, etc). I think it's the latter that gives bowfishing a bad reputation, though they aren't the only offenders - plenty of rod and reel fishermen, especially people who fish solely for bass, see everything other than bass as rough fish that need to be exterminated.

Re: Opinions on Bowfishing? [Re: Max_S] #12607246 02/02/18 05:39 PM
T
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
T
Originally Posted By: Max_S
I have nothing against it even though I'm not a bowfisher. It looks like fun and every bit as challenging as rod and reel fishing, so I'll probably get around to trying it one of these days.

What I am against is the attitude of killing fish and dumping them on the bank or in the trash rather than using them (for food, bait, etc). I think it's the latter that gives bowfishing a bad reputation, though they aren't the only offenders - plenty of rod and reel fishermen, especially people who fish solely for bass, see everything other than bass as rough fish that need to be exterminated.

I know exactly what you mean. It's so frustrating that people have attitudes like this.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SHncM1GkVy4&t=11m33s

Last edited by TXMulti-Species; 02/02/18 05:41 PM.

Catch and release. The dream - to catch one of every species of Freshwater fish in our great state! If only I can resist Carp...
https://txmultispecies.imgur.com/
[Linked Image]
Re: Opinions on Bowfishing? [Re: TXMulti-Species] #12607557 02/02/18 08:01 PM
S
ScottEvil Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
S
If done within reason and for food I have no problem with it. But to kill a fish for fun, especially an old trophy sized fish that is inedible is morally wrong

Bowfishing sucks
Re: Opinions on Bowfishing? [Re: TXMulti-Species] #12607593 02/02/18 08:18 PM
B
Bobby Milam Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
B
There are two kinds of bow fishermen. Those who do it to take fish to eat and those who do it just because they like killing something. I have no problem with the first type.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide