Print Thread
General Boating questions #11479229 03/15/16 07:49 PM
L
Los Lagos Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
L
So, I recently purchased a new boat and we are steadily getting familiar with one another. I also have 2 sons that avidly fish and they are progressing quickly in learning there way around the trailering, launching and boating game.

So here is the deal, I have never run outboards, nor in stumped areas, so I am curious about what I need to be prepared to repair on the fly if possible.

What general safety/tool items do you carry and what are you prepared to repair on the fly?

How do you protect your trolling motor at the base from getting demolished?

You need a damn class to learn how to run these electronics......

Re: General Boating questions [Re: Los Lagos] #11479329 03/15/16 08:25 PM
Jkrez Offline
Angler
Angler
A spare prop hub and a prop wrench is a must for on the water fixes. If you hit a stump, and if you're lucky, only the prob hub will need replaced. Also keep a spare prop. If your lower unit needs replaced, there's not much on the water fixing to be done.

A mechanic's tool set is really nice for general maintenance. You never know what tool you're going to need and these usually have a little bit of everything.

Carry a small assortment of electrical material. Crimps, electrical tape, hose clamps etc etc. There's a lot of electrical in your boat and you'll need to be prepared.

Zip ties are like gold in a lot of situations.

Spare trolling motor pull handle

You shouldn't have to worry about demolishing your trolling motor. If you hit anything with it, you'll probably be going very slow anyway. I hit stumps with my trolling motor every day, and nothing has happened...yet. Just remember to pull your TM up when you're running the big motor; I've seen guys rip off their TM because they kept it down on accident.

Regarding safety, beyond the required safety materials, a spare change of clothes is a must during the colder months in case you fall in. It might be a 30 minute to an hour ride back to the truck and you don't want to freeze to death. Keep the clothes in a large zippable bag and put it in the bottom of the boat somewhere.

Small first aid kit is nice to have, along with spare food and water.

You'll see some guys go completely overboard with a lot of 'just in case' stuff, but if you plan accordingly and aren't planning on fishing for a week straight and camping on the shore, you only need bare necessities. If you're going to fish tournaments, you might want to think about going on the overkill side, such as spare graphs and spare trolling motor, but casual fisherman don't need to worry about that stuff (in my opinion).

Re: General Boating questions [Re: Los Lagos] #11479349 03/15/16 08:32 PM
S
SoonerDG Online Sick
Extreme Angler
Online Sick
Extreme Angler
S
First of all you need to idle through stumped areas. If you're running on plane you're likely going to encounter bigger problems than breaking your motor. That said I carry a spare (cheap) prop and a prop nut wrench. A broken prop blade is about all you would be able to repair on the lake anyway. Damage more severe than that will likely require a mechanic. As far as the trolling motor same deal, carry a spare prop and prop nut. About the most damage I've ever done is bend the shaft and I just bend it back.

Just remember that boats are holes in the water where you throw money so embrace it and enjoy. Welcome to the forum and to boating! Get those boys on the water every chance you get.

Last edited by SoonerDG; 03/15/16 08:34 PM.

"Life is a matter of luck and the odds of success are in no way enhanced by extreme caution." - Erich Topp, German U-boat Commander, 1943.

When in doubt, set the hook.
Re: General Boating questions [Re: Los Lagos] #11481752 03/16/16 08:46 PM
L
Los Lagos Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
L
I am no stranger to boats, just fishing boats. I spent many many an hour behind a Mastercraft and a Malibu. MANY.

I never got my kids into riding and we have progressed into fishing now, there is some good advice in here. Trolling motor pull handle I would not have thought of until I broke it....

extra pro, check
prop hub check
prop wrench check
first aid kit check

clothes good call
pull handle a must add
electrical aint got it, good call
zip ties, guess they wont help much in the truck now that I think of it

thanks for the input

And no I never rocked your fishing boat, we were barefooters and spent most of our time on the Brazos.. not big wake boats, dont be hatin

now I just have to find a lake I really like and am comfortable with, been fishing smaller lakes so far, coffee mill, Bonham and Lavon. The oldest wants to fish Ray bob this sunday.

Re: General Boating questions [Re: Los Lagos] #11483804 03/17/16 07:32 PM
F
fshnbassrob Offline
Angler
Angler
F
Fuses. Remember the fuses. Bug spray.

If you have a motorguide trolling motor you can get the mount springs. You will be happy you did.

Don't forget about Texoma. She is old but she is fishing really good these days.

Good luck.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide