Page 1 of 2 1 2
Rain, rain and more rain...that's a good thing #10846406 05/15/15 03:12 PM
N
NitroUSAF Offline OP
Extreme Angler
OP Offline
Extreme Angler
N
Rain, rain and more rain; but why didn't we learn anything when were in a drought. As I celebrate all the rain, I see many opinions on numerous forums; some positive and some negative. Many are starting to complain about the flooding. However, we have been in a drought for years and no one addressed the faulty draining issues (why didn't we learn from 2007?). This could have been avoided. Many of our local lakes were so dry it would have been easy to bring in heavy equipment and dredge it out and recreate the bank areas and level some of the sand bars for a fraction of the price (example Lake Arrowhead in Wichita Falls).

No, we were too busy complaining about the drought. Now were are getting so much rain and the majority of the lakes are flooding; just imagine if we were proactive and dug them outhow much more water would they hold; what if all the ramps were repaired and extended when the water was low. I heard Nocona did do some work while it was lowif this is true, good for them, someone got it right. How many boat houses could have been repaired when they were sitting on dirt for a fraction of the price? Now many sit half above the water and half under the water, its going to really cost you to fix that now.

So I say, take all the rain we can getand be grateful, in the west they are still hurting for water. In three month, we be complaining about the heat and mosquitoes and blame it on the rain also. But that OK too (we always need something to complain about). This rain will change the fishing trails in North Texas; where Texoma and Ray Bob do not get beat to death every week; less crowding. For me, my fishing club can fish more than two or three lakes next season and I am really actually looking forward to it. So for all wilderness fans who really love fishing, take a minute to fix all your rods and reels, study your maps, and fix those little things on your boat and trailer and get ready to fish this summer. LIFE IS GOOD

Osprey Bass Club
2014 Nitro Z8 w/250 Merc"
USAF Retired
Sponsors: My WIFE/FAMILY & My Wallet
Re: Rain, rain and more rain...that's a good thing [Re: NitroUSAF] #10846490 05/15/15 03:59 PM
S
standalone Offline
Angler
Angler
S
Well said and don't forget our aquifers still need water.

Re: Rain, rain and more rain...that's a good thing [Re: NitroUSAF] #10846571 05/15/15 04:45 PM
D
driedmeat Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
D
i call it the SOS syndrome. time after time you ask folks how they're doing and they say it's the same ol' same (politically correct version). take them out of that SOS comfort zone and they scratch and claw to get back in it. ..and like you said, always need something to gripe about.

Re: Rain, rain and more rain...that's a good thing [Re: NitroUSAF] #10846658 05/15/15 05:29 PM
banker-always fishing Online Content
Pumpkin Head
Online Content
Pumpkin Head
Totally agree what was stated! cheers I just hope that the managing water body identities can make some good decisions on the use of our lake resources and that our lakes stay full for awhile. hmmm

[Linked Image][Linked Image]

IGFA World Record Rio Grande Cichlid. Lake Dunlap.

John 3:16

Sinner's Prayer. God forgive me a sinner. I accept Jesus Christ as my Savior !
Re: Rain, rain and more rain...that's a good thing [Re: NitroUSAF] #10846661 05/15/15 05:30 PM
B
Blues Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
B
How's Travis after today's rain?

Re: Rain, rain and more rain...that's a good thing [Re: Blues] #10846727 05/15/15 05:59 PM
banker-always fishing Online Content
Pumpkin Head
Online Content
Pumpkin Head
Originally Posted By: Blues

That is one of the few lakes that will need a hurricane to help it. taz However any amount of rain is better than none. Lake Medina in San Antonio is in the same shape. eeks

[Linked Image][Linked Image]

IGFA World Record Rio Grande Cichlid. Lake Dunlap.

John 3:16

Sinner's Prayer. God forgive me a sinner. I accept Jesus Christ as my Savior !
Re: Rain, rain and more rain...that's a good thing [Re: NitroUSAF] #10847234 05/15/15 09:27 PM
P
Phototex Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
P
Travis, Medina, and Choke still need a lot of water. so do Amistad and Falcon.

PB: 10-01 on a Ribbit frog
Re: Rain, rain and more rain...that's a good thing [Re: NitroUSAF] #10848139 05/16/15 07:08 AM
D
davidsonbasser Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
D
Heres what I told a rather unsatisfied relative of mine about this rain. Last year at this time EVERY person was praying for rain. Yes, its awful that damage and causalities have occurred, prayers for those families affected by it indeed. But it seems now everyone is praying for it to stop and complaining. I can see praying for it to stop as it is doing a ton of damage and putting lives at risk, but dont complain about something you prayed for and He was willing to give. What does that show? That the Lord Almighty is listening and does answer prayers. Her reply was why did it take him so long to make it pour? Well, maybe he was busy and felt other issues around the world needed more attention. As we are taught, HE listens and answers prayers, just not always when we want or the answer we want. I even saw on the news that one church had made a sign saying that people need to pray for no more rain. How ungrateful can some people be if they pray for something, then once they get it, they decide they dont want it? It seems the only people now happy with more rain are us fisherman. Well, if other people can voice what they think then I can too. So....Thank you Lord for all this rain! Please help the families in need who have been negatively affected by it, and help out the areas that still need even more of your blessing! I have certainly appreciated every drop of it laugh

Re: Rain, rain and more rain...that's a good thing [Re: NitroUSAF] #10848640 05/16/15 04:11 PM
A
armadilla Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
A
Originally Posted By: NitroUSAF
Many of our local lakes were so dry it would have been easy to bring in heavy equipment and dredge it out and recreate the bank areas and level some of the sand bars for a fraction of the price (example Lake Arrowhead in Wichita Falls).

No, we were too busy complaining about the drought. Now were are getting so much rain and the majority of the lakes are flooding; just imagine if we were proactive and dug them outhow much more water would they hold; what if all the ramps were repaired and extended when the water was low. I heard Nocona did do some work while it was lowif this is true, good for them, someone got it right. How many boat houses could have been repaired when they were sitting on dirt for a fraction of the price? Now many sit half above the water and half under the water, its going to really cost you to fix that now.

Those are "gov'ment projects." The government can never react quickly enough "when the weather and conditions permit." It probably takes 10 years just to get a project analyzed and approved..

And, I like this article about the prospects for rain in Texas this year...

2015 el ninio to keep Texas wet

the armadilla....

Whitney Lake Online
Re: Rain, rain and more rain...that's a good thing [Re: banker-always fishing] #10848741 05/16/15 05:17 PM
Jimbo Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
Originally Posted By: banker-always fishing
Originally Posted By: Blues

That is one of the few lakes that will need a hurricane to help it. taz However any amount of rain is better than none. Lake Medina in San Antonio is in the same shape. eeks

Most of the heaviest rains fell just south of San Antonio. Had those same rains fallen maybe 90 miles to the northeast Medina would probably look like a lake once again.
We just have to be thankfull for what we get and pray that those who came up short get some of it also.

Just one more cast!

Re: Rain, rain and more rain...that's a good thing [Re: NitroUSAF] #10848911 05/16/15 07:31 PM
B
Bobby Milam Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
B
We needed rain bad but we have had our share. Once the lakes fill and it starts flooding it is no longer doing good but rather damaging things. Enough is enough. You are seeing lakes that have the dams about to break and that will make it worse than when we were in a drought.

Re: Rain, rain and more rain...that's a good thing [Re: NitroUSAF] #10849489 05/17/15 01:09 AM
F
Fritz423 Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
F
During the drought of 2011 my ponds dried up and everybody asked me what I was going to do. I remembered what my opa used to tell me: "It'll rain again, it always does."

Dang if he wasn't right.

Wishin' I was fishin', and dreaming of beer
Re: Rain, rain and more rain...that's a good thing [Re: Bobby Milam] #10849542 05/17/15 01:25 AM
Happykamper Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
Originally Posted By: Bobby Milam
We needed rain bad but we have had our share. Once the lakes fill and it starts flooding it is no longer doing good but rather damaging things. Enough is enough. You are seeing lakes that have the dams about to break and that will make it worse than when we were in a drought.
Oh hell no, we need more rain, maybe the damns will break and wipe out an entire city, drives me nuts for folks to say we cannot get enough rain, plain stupid, it does not do any good for west Texas when it rains in north texas, same for south texas. And digging out all the lakes, you bet, can you imagine how much money it would take to dig the lakes out ? Almost like building a new one. Oh and not to mention all the folks that are unemployed or have lost their businesses because of the flooding lakes, and all the folks that are in construction and have hardly worked a full week in God knows how long, you bet, bring us some more rain, we need it here in DFW.

[Linked Image]
Re: Rain, rain and more rain...that's a good thing [Re: NitroUSAF] #10850588 05/17/15 05:16 PM
L
Lucky Al Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
L
Said earlier: Rain follows draught.

Re: Rain, rain and more rain...that's a good thing [Re: NitroUSAF] #10850723 05/17/15 07:03 PM
Jimbo Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
I'm sure those who say "we can't get enough rain," are those who have seen how the dry weather has has effected their lively hood for such a long time.
Yes, there are those who are hurting because of the heavy rains, but overall there have been more people that have been effected by the drought, and they would by far out number those effected by the flooding.
We can get upset and complain, but it's totally out of our control, and getting upset by someone giving an opinion isn't going to stop the rains either.

Last edited by Jimbo; 05/17/15 07:06 PM.

Just one more cast!

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide