Camping, Fishing, Hiking, Biking & Geocaching
www.OutdoorTxs.com
Re: Bass Fishing in Lubbock [Re: RedRaider3933] #9878166 04/03/14 04:52 AM
O
Outlaw Josey Wales Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
O
Hopefully this year we can re-open this related topic.

I've seen this forum and referred to it the last 2 years. I've been in Lubbock the last 8 years,(graduated Tech in 2011) never extensively fished the area. I always had the assumption there was nothing to fish (I'm from the Hill Country; fishing is entirely different from Lubbock). Just decided to join the forum, you guys are providing great information so I'd like to at least share my success (or so far lack of wink ).

Extensively fished today; tried the canyon lake system, starting from Canyon Lake #6 (Dunbar Heigths--19th and MLK). Wind was battering me hard...I'd guess 20-25mph from the N-NE. Fished the dock on the east side of number 6; started with wacky rigged senko's, switched to crankbaits, switched to rattle jigs. Moved on up north and crossed 19th, fished close to the reeds, nothing. Fished the creek east of the parking lot of joyland. Tried this through the whole canyon lake system. Followed it up til it hit the north loop, got discouraged..gave up. Not even a bite!

Yesterday I tried the playa on quaker and inside south loop with some Texas rigged senkos. Nothing. Wind was in the 20's then too. I realize Lubbock is wind..but I have no success when the playas are white-capping. Anybody have tips on fishing the wind? I love fishing weightless soft plastics..but the wind makes it impossible!

"I like Tom. He doesn't do a lot of work around here. He shows zero initiative. He's not a team player. He's never wanted to go that extra mile. Tom is exactly what I'm looking for in a government employee" -Ron Swanson

Re: Bass Fishing in Lubbock [Re: RedRaider3933] #9878171 04/03/14 04:56 AM
O
Green Horn
Green Horn
O
I will say, I read this exact forum topic 2 years ago, and it encouraged me to fish the country club ponds with my roommate and we had a bit of luck. We fished it twice on Mondays, I used some panther martin jigs, had some aggressive small LM's attack it close to the banks. Nothing special, but it was more fruitful than my previous two days!

"I like Tom. He doesn't do a lot of work around here. He shows zero initiative. He's not a team player. He's never wanted to go that extra mile. Tom is exactly what I'm looking for in a government employee" -Ron Swanson

Re: Bass Fishing in Lubbock [Re: RedRaider3933] #9879969 04/03/14 09:09 PM
F
FlatsFisher613 Offline
Angler
Angler
F
I have never had good luck on any of the playas. I've fished just about all of them. I prefer to fish the Cayon Lakes, they are extremely tough when fishing with artificials. I understand your frustrations as I have fished many days without a bite. But when you catch them, it feels that much better.

Re: Bass Fishing in Lubbock [Re: RedRaider3933] #9881049 04/04/14 02:46 AM
T
txlonghorns Offline
Angler
Angler
T
I'm still zero for whatever while fishing in Lubbock. I always have an itch to wet a line. If anyone wants to meet up one weekend, let me know. Also, welcome to TFF!

Re: Bass Fishing in Lubbock [Re: txlonghorns] #9895057 04/09/14 08:31 PM
O
Green Horn
Green Horn
O
Thanks!

Lubbock fishing seems to be tough in the spring. The wind is constant and the random late cold fronts keep the waters cold. Knowing LBK, I wouldn't doubt if we had a freeze come in on Easter. (last year it in snowed on May 1st!) I'm thinking the bass here are probably more late to spawn than elsewhere. I'm hoping the fishing will pick up around the first of May. I noticed none of the reeds in Canyon lake #6 were green yet. Bass tend to favor green vegetation as it produces oxygen > plankton > baitfish. So I suppose I gotta be patient bang

Took the fiancee out to Alan Henry Saturday with some kayaks. Wind blew and was overcast and cold, so we decided to bank the yaks and fish. Kinda tough to bank fish Alan with it's canyon walls. We put in below campsite #24. It was windy and overcast all day. Odd, as soon as the sun came out, I hooked a small LM and a smaller spotted bass within 5 min of each other in the same hole. Even though they were small, it restored my ego as a fisherman. I think my dog finally believed I could catch a fish. clap Not even sure if this little guy is worth posting but:

Re: Bass Fishing in Lubbock [Re: RedRaider3933] #9895091 04/09/14 08:46 PM
T
txlonghorns Offline
Angler
Angler
T
Great catch! Definitely worth posting! I hope the wind calms down and the temps stay high enough one weekend to where we can actually fish.

Re: Bass Fishing in Lubbock [Re: RedRaider3933] #9910809 04/16/14 12:01 AM
T
txhunt&fish10 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
T
Just got back from the pond behind Fazolis on 82nd. Caught one (1/2 lb largemouth) on a chartreuse and blue H&H spinner and had one swing and miss. That's the only place where I've had any luck. A fluke in Arkansas Shiner, or the H&H is what works for me out there. I've seen pics and heard stories about guys pullin some pretty nice fish outta there but I have yet to catch anything over a lb.

Few men ever reach, in any one direction, the limits of their possibilities. As in commerce, so here, the relation of supply to demand rules. Our mechanical and intellectual forces increase or decrease according to the demands made upon them. He who uses most will have most to use.
Re: Bass Fishing in Lubbock [Re: RedRaider3933] #9923448 04/21/14 06:13 AM
O
Green Horn
Green Horn
O
Finally had some success in the canyon lake system. Try the "creek" north of Dunbar Heights #6 lake. Lots of reeds and nooks. Caught 4 largemouth bass and 2 bluegills. Nothing special but it won me a bet and 2 pints of beer cheers

Last edited by Outlaw Josey Wales; 04/21/14 05:55 PM.

Re: Bass Fishing in Lubbock [Re: RedRaider3933] #9927149 04/22/14 04:51 PM
F
FlatsFisher613 Offline
Angler
Angler
F
Went the Canyon Lake #1 up at N. Loop and University. Tried fishing all kinds of worms with no luck for hours. Switched to a Rat-L-Trap and was able to land a small bass on the west side of the lake by the big point. After that the wind started to pick up and I went to the other side. Seems to be too much trash on the east bank. Kept catching walmart bags so I packed up.

Re: Bass Fishing in Lubbock [Re: FlatsFisher613] #9933252 04/24/14 03:23 PM
O
Green Horn
Green Horn
O
Originally Posted By: FlatsFisher613
Went the Canyon Lake #1 up at N. Loop and University. Tried fishing all kinds of worms with no luck for hours. Switched to a Rat-L-Trap and was able to land a small bass on the west side of the lake by the big point. After that the wind started to pick up and I went to the other side. Seems to be too much trash on the east bank. Kept catching walmart bags so I packed up.

I always take my dog over there to that park during the weekends and have thought about fishing that area. Did you fish off the dock?

I was catching with a small soft plastic shad. I don't usually use the bait, but I saw a few floating around the banks and figured it's what the bass are most likely to eat. Just ran it slowly next to the reeds and was having bit of luck.

You ought to try Just north of Dunbar Heights Canyon lake #6. I suppose you can call it a creek. It's the only place I've had luck in town

Re: Bass Fishing in Lubbock [Re: Outlaw Josey Wales] #9934990 04/25/14 02:53 AM
F
FlatsFisher613 Offline
Angler
Angler
F
Originally Posted By: Outlaw Josey Wales

I always take my dog over there to that park during the weekends and have thought about fishing that area. Did you fish off the dock?

I was catching with a small soft plastic shad. I don't usually use the bait, but I saw a few floating around the banks and figured it's what the bass are most likely to eat. Just ran it slowly next to the reeds and was having bit of luck.

You ought to try Just north of Dunbar Heights Canyon lake #6. I suppose you can call it a creek. It's the only place I've had luck in town

I was fishing on the opposite bank from the dock, there is a big point with some trees. Fished multiple different types of Texas rigged worms with no luck, then switched to the Rat-L-Trap and caught the fish. Seems to be a lot of hidden brush about 5' off the bank on that side. But the fish were splashing the water at that zone, carp were fighting with each other right in the bank. Makes me think the spawn is close and we will see better fishing on those waters soon. I've fished #6 from the dock once, but the wind was whipping and didn't stay long, will probably go next week to try for better luck .

Last edited by FlatsFisher613; 04/25/14 02:55 AM.

Re: Bass Fishing in Lubbock [Re: FlatsFisher613] #9936334 04/25/14 06:22 PM
O
Green Horn
Green Horn
O
Originally Posted By: Outlaw Josey Wales

I was fishing on the opposite bank from the dock, there is a big point with some trees. Fished multiple different types of Texas rigged worms with no luck, then switched to the Rat-L-Trap and caught the fish. Seems to be a lot of hidden brush about 5' off the bank on that side. But the fish were splashing the water at that zone, carp were fighting with each other right in the bank. Makes me think the spawn is close and we will see better fishing on those waters soon. I've fished #6 from the dock once, but the wind was whipping and didn't stay long, will probably go next week to try for better luck .

I generally use weightless soft plastics also. Wacky rigging or Texas rigging has really done nothing for me in Lubbock, which I find weird. They usually have a bite or two. I've fished number #6 a bit too and have never had a bite. The "creek", right before it dumps into #6 (19th and MLK), is where I've had my luck. A guy told me he used to catch a mess of crappie under the bridge there (19th st) but always got hung up. Thought I'd try my soft plastic shad, and sure enough out of 3 casts I hung up twice.

Re: Bass Fishing in Lubbock [Re: RedRaider3933] #9936584 04/25/14 07:46 PM
F
FlatsFisher613 Offline
Angler
Angler
F
I have yet to make t to that creek yet. I'd like to try next week when the wind dies down. I was out at #2 this morning. It was way too windy for plastics. I used a lipless crank and a jig. Not even a nibble, the later half of the trip was mainly just casting practice!

Re: Bass Fishing in Lubbock [Re: RedRaider3933] #9936590 04/25/14 07:50 PM
F
FlatsFisher613 Offline
Angler
Angler
F
Tomorrow there is a fishing event out at Maxey Park. They said they brought in 12,000 fish mostly cats I think, but it ends at 1:00 and the park will be open to the public after that. I'm taking my kiddos in the morning, I'll ask around to see what they stocked.

Page 6 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide