Print Thread
Slip Fishing - All you need to know #9930257 04/23/14 05:22 PM
H
Hookn_Stix Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
H
Can anyone help with their experiences. I'm thinking of getting a slip for year round fishing, especially when weather is not ideal for boating. I'm particularly interested in either Ray Hubbard or Lake Lavon.

What depth of water is considered ideal, if seasons matter, then I'd like winter to be best as that is the season I hardly take the boat out?

Is a slip on the very outside of the marina or inside of the marina better?

Difference in fishing techniques during the different seasons?

What kind of prices per year are you paying?

Is there any other good info to keep in mind?

Re: Slip Fishing - All you need to know [Re: Hookn_Stix] #9930339 04/23/14 05:50 PM
E
ezgoing Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
E
Are you talking about just using it for fishing or do you plan on keeping your boat in it as well as fish it. The following is for keeping your boat in it, the answers might be different for fishing only.

The deeper the water the better for fishing. It doesn't make as much difference for keeping a boat in a slip but you also want fishing.

You receive less wake from boats leaving and entering the marina area if you have an inside slip. You will find that a large number of boaters ignore the no wake buoys and come into the marina area at WOT throttle going to the boat launch. Or they wait till they just enter the no wake buoys to go off plane, which results in even bigger waves rocking your boat.

So if you can find a marina that does not have a public boat launch you will be better off. Some slip owners will also ignore the no wake buoys but it doesn't happen too often as the other slip owners talk to them about it.

However an outside slip makes it easier to dock your boat if you have a large boat. Some of the marinas do not have enough space between the docks. This can make it hard to enter your slip on windy days or if the current is running strong that day.

Also unless you are getting a large slip ask to dock your boat in the slip before you lease it. Some marinas overstate the size of their slips so this allows you to ensure your boat will fit the slip and that you can dock your boat in the slip.

I personally prefer outside slips since I keep a boat in it but after trying them you may find the inner slip fits your needs better. So I now have the outside dock, with the inside side of the dock but I am second from the end of the dock. So I have some advantage of both.

As to price, it varies with size and lake. At Joe Pool Marina, the smallest slip is $202 per month, plus 50 cents per square foot for any deck area. The larger slips can cost you over $500 a month.

I have a 13'x36' slip with a 10' deck at the front of the slip. This costs me $431 per month. I tried the smaller slips but my pontoon was too large, even through they claimed the slips were 10'x20'. I thought my pontoon would fit the smaller slip, since it is 9'wide by 20' long but I only had a 3" clearance on each side and my motor stuck out the rear of the slip.

So I had to move to the larger dock. This is why I suggest trying to dock your boat in the slip before accepting it.

Re: Slip Fishing - All you need to know [Re: Hookn_Stix] #9930415 04/23/14 06:12 PM
E
ezgoing Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
E
I would ask to walk the dock to see how the other owners are using their slips.

Are there fishing rods on some of the slips showing the owners also fish?
Is there a lot of deck furniture on the slips?
Do all the slip owners have their decks partitioned off with fences, etc., to keep them private?
Do the slip owners come to the slip on a regular basis or does it appear they are seldom there?
Are all the boats expensive cabin cruisers or is there a mixture of boat types in the slips?
Are there ropes or wires hanging from the walkways, which might indicate fishing structure placed there by the slip owners?
Is there evidence of underwater lights in the slips? ( going late afternoon might be a good idea to check this}

The reason these things may be important is some slip owners do not like people fishing the slips. We have a couple on our dock that way. They complain if you drop fishing structure inside your slips. They complain about the underwater lights. They complain if you have too many people fishing your slip.

They are ignored, as Joe Pool Marina allows you to have lights in your slip and to place structure there. But if they were in the majority it might be different, depending on the marina.

At Joe Pool Marina you can only fish your slip and not the rest of the dock. But most of the owners don't care as long as you respect their property. I have only had one turn me down when I asked so I stay away from his slip. But you need to consider these things when you are considering leasing a slip to use for fishing.

We also have some owners who come to the slip once a year. Most of them have their boats on lifts so their slips are good places to fish when you catch them to get permission. smile

And we have one slip owner with a 20' wide, 50' long slip that has a mercury vapor underwater light and places Christmas trees along the length of his slip. His boat is only 9' wide so there is 11' the length of his slip with Christmas trees for fishing. It is a very good place to fish when our slip is slow. smile

Re: Slip Fishing - All you need to know [Re: Hookn_Stix] #9930875 04/23/14 08:15 PM
K
kodys'papa Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
K
Deep as possible. Now is an excellent time to look, low lake levels and all...

Hooking a fish is like playing string with a cat. The exact size, shape, color of string matters less than how you wiggle it- and little cats are easier to fool than big ones. John Gierach
Re: Slip Fishing - All you need to know [Re: Hookn_Stix] #9930914 04/23/14 08:26 PM
K
karpbuster Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
K
Originally Posted By: Hookn_Stix
Can anyone help with their experiences. I'm thinking of getting a slip for year round fishing, especially when weather is not ideal for boating. I'm particularly interested in either Ray Hubbard or Lake Lavon.

What depth of water is considered ideal, if seasons matter, then I'd like winter to be best as that is the season I hardly take the boat out?

Is a slip on the very outside of the marina or inside of the marina better?

Difference in fishing techniques during the different seasons?

What kind of prices per year are you paying?

Is there any other good info to keep in mind?

I don't know really ... I had a friend who has a slip at Marina Del Sur at Elephant Butte it was in 70 fow. You could catch stripers, whites and crappie off of lights at night. I have a place on Rayburn, I would say > 20 fow in a protected cove would be cool. You can add cover but lights at nights just plain works.

Last edited by karpbuster; 04/23/14 08:27 PM.

"Love is something more stern and splendid than mere kindness."

"All that we call human history--money, poverty, ambition, war, prostitution, classes, empires, slavery--[is] the long terrible story of man trying to find something other than God which will make him happy." � C.S. Lewis

C.S. Lewis
Re: Slip Fishing - All you need to know [Re: Hookn_Stix] #9931034 04/23/14 08:58 PM
C
crappieking95 Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
C
I would suggest Ray Hubbard, look at chandlers landing first if not Harbor Bay

Philippians 4:13
Re: Slip Fishing - All you need to know [Re: Hookn_Stix] #9931042 04/23/14 09:00 PM
S
soonersorlaters Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
S
About halfway down C Dock at Captains Cove on LRH was good to us over the years for fishing. Mamy of the slip owners hung X-mas trees in theirs and as long as you were nice, they never had a problem with you fishing them.

I was just a kid back then but made many friends with the adults on that dock. I remember my uncle tossing me a $10 bill and off to Fishermans Cove up @ Zion rd for another pound of minnows.

Jig fishing was even funner. Caught thousands of fish over the years there.

Re: Slip Fishing - All you need to know [Re: Hookn_Stix] #9932135 04/24/14 02:46 AM
T
TexomaPowerboater Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
T
Slips on the end will have more traffic. Ideally you would want to be 1/2 way maybe 2/3 toward end of slip,in decent depth. 15 to 20 ft+. Consider fluctuating water levels.

Re: Slip Fishing - All you need to know [Re: Hookn_Stix] #9932526 04/24/14 10:07 AM
M
marschall Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
M
We love our slip @ Juniper Cove as you can do anything you want to it ,and it is in around 16ft. when the lake is up.and 10ft. when it is low.We just had new neighbors move in about 3 weeks ago with another pontoon boat next to us that also love to fish. They built a 4 ft. deck in front of theirs and we all get to use it,as they are super nice people. We bait ours out with trees and the crappie and bass love it.Ours is a 24 ft. that goes for around $175.00 per month I believe,as I get a discount. It has fresh water, electric,and is well protected ,and no one has ever messed with our stuff.We like ours because it is on the back side of the marina,and has little traffic.One good thing about Juniper Cove is when you rent a slip you are allowed to use the fishing barge and boat ramp at no extra cost. You can also fish any slips you want.Also when you put your boat in the slip they have a secure dry storage to park your trailer.

May your wiener schnitzel always stay above your lederhosein.
Re: Slip Fishing - All you need to know [Re: marschall] #9932529 04/24/14 10:13 AM
M
marschall Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
M
Also there is nothing better when you get ready to go out on the boat than just unplug the on board charger,and go! Like on a windy day trying to load or unload a boat.And when the family comes down, just go to the slip,and everything you need like light,chairs, ect. it there. Trust me you will love a slip, the best money we ever spent.

May your wiener schnitzel always stay above your lederhosein.
Re: Slip Fishing - All you need to know [Re: Hookn_Stix] #9932644 04/24/14 11:57 AM
H
Hookn_Stix Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
H
Thanks for the help. Definitely a few things that I wasn't considering and could have learned the hard way.

I'm thinking more to have it just for fishing for a small group of friends. I prefer to keep the boat safe at the house. Ideas were to add structure and lights and some type of collapsable enclosure to use duing the winter months.

If anyone has one they wouldn't mind me fishing at or going in on, let me know. I would definitely add value.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide