Re: Minn Kota or motor guide??? [Re: OkieBob] #9929569 04/23/14 01:51 PM
T
texboxer Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
T
Originally Posted By: OkieBob
Hey Bobcat, ya think we made our point?
I'm thinkin bout startin a Fortrex Users Group...FUG for short? What 'cha think?

Tell ya whatcha do here Francis, if your finding it difficult to keep up or comprehend, try re reading what I wrote in my posts, but read them v-e-r-y s-l-o-w-l-y. that might help you and your cheerleader Bobcat understand. Ya may have to read them a couple times, but I have all the confidence you'll finally get it. grin

Re: Minn Kota or motor guide??? [Re: texboxer] #9929644 04/23/14 02:10 PM
Bobcat1 Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
Originally Posted By: texboxer
I'm thinkin bout startin a Fortrex Users Group...FUG for short? What 'cha think?

Tell ya whatcha do here Francis, if your finding it difficult to keep up or comprehend, try re reading what I wrote in my posts, but read them v-e-r-y s-l-o-w-l-y. that might help you and your cheerleader Bobcat understand. Ya may have to read them a couple times, but I have all the confidence you'll finally get it. grin
Cheerleader??? rolfmao Some people like Fords and then there's the rest. grin

Bobby Barnett

Re: Minn Kota or motor guide??? [Re: Bobcat1] #9929748 04/23/14 02:39 PM
T
texboxer Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
T
Originally Posted By: Bobcat1

Hmmm hmmm, Still haven't re read my post I see. Our maybe ya have and it's just too complicated for ya. Ok, well I tried. Bless your heart. angel

Re: Minn Kota or motor guide??? [Re: Bobcat1] #9929857 04/23/14 03:11 PM
T
texboxer Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
T

DAAAANG Junior! I just noticed your post count, so I have to ask ya, when do you find time to fish? Seems being the TFF Now- It- All ( cough, cough) and TFF community patrol officer, and high ranking member of the TFF "CJ" group sure takes up all your time. Come to think about it, I can't recall ever seeing you post any pics of fish you've caught or post about a fishing adventure you've been on. but hey,I don't live on this site like some, so you may have and I just missed it. But I'll have to come back at ya with ," Some of us fish, while others just talk about it". Just saying.

Re: Minn Kota or motor guide??? [Re: texboxer] #9929876 04/23/14 03:16 PM
Bobcat1 Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
Never owned a Motorguide. All my boats have had Minn Kotas on them. I know the service on Minn Kotas are top notch. had a problem with the one that came with my boat and after a year of problems they gave me a full refund on it and I got aTerrova. After a few months, the remote on the Terrova started getting screwy, made one call and they sent me a new remote at no charge and told me to send the old one in once I received the new one. haven't had any more problems since.
Okay, so they stood behind the warranty
For crappie fishing you need a cable steer tm which means you can't get the iPilot and that is a good thing. The iPilot is good for some types of fishing but, not crappie.
And, do NOT get the US2 option (2D sonar transducer) it is much worse than the transducers that come with your unit, be it HB or Lowrance.

Have to disagree with you. for some of us the Ipilot is the best way to go. my old body is riddled with arthritis and the hand held remote makes fishing enjoyable. Would I recommend the I pilot to just anyone, no because it takes a learning curve and getting use to. But once you've learned how to use it, it's very easy to control and stay on Bp's with it. The US2 is the only way to go in my book. no worries about tearing up your transducer in shallow water or on stumps. Just my opinion.
Okay so that is your opinion, got it.
For crappie fishing you need a cable steer tm which means you can't get the iPilot and that is a good thing. The iPilot is good for some types of fishing but, not crappie.
And, do NOT get the US2 option (2D sonar transducer) it is much worse than the transducers that come with your unit, be it HB or Lowrance.

Have to disagree with you. for some of us the Ipilot is the best way to go. my old body is riddled with arthritis and the hand held remote makes fishing enjoyable. Would I recommend the I pilot to just anyone, no because it takes a learning curve and getting use to. But once you've learned how to use it, it's very easy to control and stay on Bp's with it. The US2 is the only way to go in my book. no worries about tearing up your transducer in shallow water or on stumps. Just my opinion.
I agree with OkieBob.

Kinda goes without saying.
But hey, if new technology is not your cup of tea, or it's hard for you to use or learn, then stay with what ya know. It's just that for some, we don't mind learning new things and they work quite well for us. Ya can teach some ole dogs new tricks. grin
Okay got it. Only thing I get out of it is we differ in opinions and that is why they sell more than one kind. To each his own...Right?

Bobby Barnett

Re: Minn Kota or motor guide??? [Re: texboxer] #9929884 04/23/14 03:18 PM
J
jig master Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
J

Hmmm hmmm, Still haven't re read my post I see. Our maybe ya have and it's just too complicated for ya. Ok, well I tried. Bless your heart. angel

coach
Nope them cheerleaders don't know how to read
Tex Boxer trust me .. Just like a few weeks back
I was giving constructive criticism to Big Crappie
Guide service and them 2 chiming in like they
Know it all and turned into something it wasn't ..
When they didn't make the call and book the trip
Nor go on the trip ..

Don't believe everything you hear and half of what you see . Living for the Thump !!
Re: Minn Kota or motor guide??? [Re: Fishing man88] #9929901 04/23/14 03:21 PM
E
ezgoing Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
E
As you can see, you have opened up a can of worms here. Both brands have their diehard fans.

A big part of the equation is how much do you want to spend on a tm. At the lower end I don't think there is much difference.

At the higher end it becomes a battle of features and will depend on which features are the most important to you.

As I stated, I've owned both. I currently have a MG but had a MK before that. I bought the MG because it was the only tm the dealer had in stock that had a shaft long enough for my pontoon. I did not want to wait two weeks for him to order something different.

The MG works fine. My only complaint was I was not told I need to step on the trolling motor head to get it to release from the mount. Once I was told this I have not had any problems with it.

So make sure you buy enough power to handle your boat and that the shaft is long enough for your boat. Then look at all the features available on the two brands and decide which features are the most important to you. Then see if either brand offers more of the features you want in the price range you wish to pay.

The only mistake I made was buying a 24v 75# tm when a 36v 109# tm would have been better for a pontoon. The dealer kept insisting a 12v 50# tm was adequate so I thought going 50% above that should handle the job. It does but a 109# tm would have done better.

So IMHO, buy all the power you can afford. Then look at other features. smile

Re: Minn Kota or motor guide??? [Re: Fishing man88] #9929907 04/23/14 03:23 PM
J
jig master Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
J
Tex Boxer does have a good point ...
Do you guys EVER fish or always
Given advice ?

Don't believe everything you hear and half of what you see . Living for the Thump !!
Re: Minn Kota or motor guide??? [Re: Fishing man88] #9930083 04/23/14 04:22 PM
BlueNitro Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
Not siding with anyone but wanted to put my 2 cents in. I used to hang out in the Whites/Striper section but got tired of all the BS over there so started spending more time in here. I have never met either Bobcat or OkieBob but they seem like stand up guys by what they post. I would offer either of them a seat in my boat anytime.

Sure they may have an opinion that differs from yours but that's no reason to be condescending towards them. If you don't agree with them, state that intelligently and move on. If you just want to stir the pot try the White/Striper section. I have never seen a more supportive group of guys on an internet forum than this section and truly hope it stays that way.

LiftSaver Trolling Motor Mounting Bracket - Patent Pending and LiftSaver Transducer Pole Mount
www.liftsavertmmount.com
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Works with MG Xi5, Xi3 and MK Terrova, Ulterra, PD V2 and Riptides as well.

Re: Minn Kota or motor guide??? [Re: jig master] #9930089 04/23/14 04:25 PM
Bobcat1 Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
Originally Posted By: jig master
Tex Boxer does have a good point ...
Do you guys EVER fish or always
Given advice ?
I've never caught any fish and don't go fishing. rolleyes

Bobby Barnett

Re: Minn Kota or motor guide??? [Re: Fishing man88] #9930096 04/23/14 04:26 PM
BlueNitro Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
Back to topic.

Like I stated before, I have the I-Pilot feature on my TM and have learned to live with the remote but I am not as happy with it as I would probably be with the foot steer. One of these day I will buy me a Fortrex.

LiftSaver Trolling Motor Mounting Bracket - Patent Pending and LiftSaver Transducer Pole Mount
www.liftsavertmmount.com
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
Works with MG Xi5, Xi3 and MK Terrova, Ulterra, PD V2 and Riptides as well.

Re: Minn Kota or motor guide??? [Re: Bobcat1] #9930101 04/23/14 04:28 PM
T
texboxer Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
T
the one where you said it was my opinion, in my post you will see I said " My old body is riddled with arthritis", and I also said that "I would not recommend this trolling motor to just anyone". So let me break it down for you. Anyone with a disability that has to do with their lower back, hips, knees, ankles, or feet, this trolling motor is a god send. I would not recommend this trolling motor to anyone in good health. I can't make it any easier to understand.

Originally Posted By: Bobcat1. [/quote

Okay so that is your opinion, got it.

Last edited by texboxer; 04/23/14 04:44 PM.

Re: Minn Kota or motor guide??? [Re: jig master] #9930103 04/23/14 04:29 PM
Bobcat1 Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
Originally Posted By: jig master

coach
Nope them cheerleaders don't know how to read
Tex Boxer trust me .. Just like a few weeks back
I was giving constructive criticism to Big Crappie
Guide service and them 2 chiming in like they
Know it all and turned into something it wasn't ..
When they didn't make the call and book the trip
Nor go on the trip ..
rolfmao Constructive criticism rolfmao I saw it more like trying to complain enough to get a free trip. But that's just my opinion and everyone has one. Now this thread was about what trolling motors are used while Crappie fishing. Lets get back to that. If you have a problem with me take it to a PM please. I'll just ignore you and you are free to ignore me. Deal?

Bobby Barnett

Re: Minn Kota or motor guide??? [Re: texboxer] #9930118 04/23/14 04:33 PM
Bobcat1 Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru

the one where you said it was my opinion, in my post you will see I said " My old body is riddled with arthritis", and I also said that "I would not recommend this trolling motor to just anyone". So let me break it down for you. Anyone with a disability that has to do with their lower back, hips, knees, ankles, or feet, this trolling motor is a good send. I would not recommend this trolling motor to anyone in good health. I can't make it any easier to understand.

Yes I got that. I personally have had 2 back surgeries, a neck surgery and a knee surgery. I get it. When I tried the Terrova I did not like it. It was a $500 lesson for me. The Fortrex to me is second nature and is easy to steer. I sit when I fish so it really isn't a problem since I can operate it with either foot. It's so simple to use even Net Girl can run it and catch fish while she does. But if you like it by all means I am happy for ya. That is why they make several different kinds. Peace!

Bobby Barnett

Re: Minn Kota or motor guide??? [Re: Fishing man88] #9930145 04/23/14 04:42 PM
T
texboxer Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
T
OkieBob and Crapicat, the only reason I wrote the other post after my first, was because it seems that whenever anyone on the forum gives a different opinion (other than a select few in your clique), we are immediately reprimanded by what have become known as the TFF CJ group. Well you guys can buddy up all ya want, but my opinion is mine and I will continue posting my opinions. And we will continue butting heads. The choice is yours cause I dont mind it and kinda enjoy it. popcorn
Edited to say:
And no,I will not take it to PMs so don't ask me. The smack is started on the front pages so it will end on the front pages for the whole world to see. I've got nothing to hide.

Last edited by texboxer; 04/23/14 04:52 PM.

Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide