Page 1 of 2 1 2
Fishing McGee Creek-Okla for first time #9920146 04/19/14 03:28 PM
C
chimneymasterbassmaster Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
C
I'll be fishing this lake next week and have never even seen it. Hoping for some advise on good areas to fish. Thanks, Guys!

Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: Fishing McGee Creek-Okla for first time [Re: chimneymasterbassmaster] #9920173 04/19/14 03:49 PM
U
uncle j Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
U

Re: Fishing McGee Creek-Okla for first time [Re: chimneymasterbassmaster] #9921093 04/20/14 01:54 AM
N
Northsidejoe Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
N
I just got back on Thursday. We caught them on Chartreuse spinner bait with an orange Colorado and gold willow leaf blades. We also caught some on watermelon seed brush hogs and watermelon senkos with the tails dipped in chartreuse dip n dye. They were up shallow but didn't appear to be spanning yet. We caught most of our fish in the Mcgee creek arm.

Hope this helps.

Re: Fishing McGee Creek-Okla for first time [Re: Northsidejoe] #9921715 04/20/14 01:30 PM
C
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
C
Heck yeah you've helped. I know where to start and what to use. Thank a ton!!

Re: Fishing McGee Creek-Okla for first time [Re: chimneymasterbassmaster] #9921800 04/20/14 02:06 PM
N
nitro250 Offline
Angler
Angler
N
We are heading home from mcgee now, big numbers of fish all 4 days on a white fluke weightless. A few big fish on spinnerbaits. The majority of fish were main lake points but seemed to be moving further back into the creeks.

**DON'T HIT THE BRAKES UNTIL YOU SMELL S#!T OR HEAR GLASS BREAK**

[Linked Image]
Re: Fishing McGee Creek-Okla for first time [Re: chimneymasterbassmaster] #9921985 04/20/14 03:54 PM
S
Skeeterzx21 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
S
Fish it quite a bit. McGee Arm is usually good. When going up McGee you ail come to your first turn to the left, there will also be a large neck that heads back to the right and to the North east. Take the right and run all the way to the back of it. Careful if you are not familiar with the lake, the lake is a bit low and there are plenty of stumps tucked under the surface enough to tear a lower unit up.

White Spinner 1/2oz with ONE large silver Willow leaf blade only
Green Pumpkin/Chartruse 1/4-1/2oz gig with Green Pupm trailer
through the spinner aroung the cedars

Topo Creek, look on your topi if you have one, and what you are looking for is to run till you hit the timber, the entire bank on your left/west side is great. Keep going up Topo creek and the first bend back to the west, fish the inside of that bend/point. That hole is called the Texas Hole. When you get back to the back of Topo it will open up. You will know, trust me. STAY in the channels. When it begins to open up you will be heading back to the east. Follow the channel east about 175 yards or so and you will see a small opening in the timber, that is another creek heading back to the NOrth. Follow that channel about another 100 yards to the north and you will see a rock bank immediately to your right/east, fish that point and that area. That creek should be about 12 ft of water and it comes up to about 3 ft along that rock point.

If you ned anything else let me know, I fish that lake a lot. No I am not Chuck J. There are several other holes that I can try and guide you to is you do not have any luck there.

But be very careful running the boat lanes in the timber. Also, about half way up Topo creek there is a buoy, it make a very large rock shelf and you do not want to get by it. when running just hang a tad closer to the eastern banks until you familiarize yourself with that buoy.

Good Luck,

Brian

Last edited by Skeeterzx21; 04/20/14 03:56 PM.
Re: Fishing McGee Creek-Okla for first time [Re: chimneymasterbassmaster] #9922006 04/20/14 04:06 PM
S
Skeeterzx21 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
S
One other thing, The fish are close and the big ones are up. Another good arm is to the very far east side of the lake. As you come over the Dam and look back to the North East you can see it. Run all the way to the back of it.

At the back of McGee, you will be almost to the back of McGee, it will make a long run to the east before you start to notice the cover getting sparse and it heads back to the NOrth again. Along that big stretch you will notice fairly large cuts back off of the main channel. and you will also see small stretches of bank (W/Timber extending off into the channel) these stretches of bank will almost parallel the channel. You should notice them because they will be on the outside of the larger cutbacks.

If you do get rain and the creeks start to look like Coffe Creamer, back back out of the creeks till you find the break water, where the water starts to clean back up a bit, and regroup there.

This is going to be hard for me to explain this hole to you, so bare with me.

When heading back up Topo or Ptopo, I call it Topo. Anyway. from the ramp you are going to head to the west. About a mile and half it will cut back to the North and you will hold this heading for about 2 miles or so. You will notice that the lake will take a left and head back to the south West. Immediately to your right, once you make the bend and head west/ South west, you will see a 300-400 yard stretch of what looks like flat bare bank. Fish that, it is a spawning flat.

Last edited by Skeeterzx21; 04/20/14 04:15 PM.
Re: Fishing McGee Creek-Okla for first time [Re: chimneymasterbassmaster] #9922040 04/20/14 04:29 PM
S
Skeeterzx21 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
S
McGee Creek, Last hole for now. All these locations will keep you busy.

From the ramp, head north up McGee and it will make a left turn about a mile and half up. It will make fairly quick right back to the north, keep following this. about 1/4 mile or so it will cut back to the left again, keep going. The creek is going to make another right and head north. Towards the end of this stretch you are going to start seeing a timber line. Immediately before that timber line the channel makes a cut back to the left again and then a quick right taking you back to a North heading. No problem, just keep following the open water. Look to your left when you start to head back to the North, you will see a long rock bank that will come to a point about 3/4 mile to your north. This point runs alongs ways out into the water and has timber that is submerged on it. This point runs just about to the North bank. Fish that long point. Directly on the West side of that point, the part of the point that you can see, the water depth is about 33-42 ft of whiter (Right next to the point. That side of the point comes right up to about 2ft of water very fast right there at the tip if the point/bank.

Take your graph and if you notice the fish, for some reason suspending far out on the point (where the point meets the channel). Take a fairly good size slip cork and a bobber stop, and set your bobber stop so that the bait (which I will explain later) sits about 2 -3 foot above their heads. Now take a Swim Bait (Chartruse and white or Green Pumpking and Chart) and rig it to a decent size jig head. You following me. Oh, be sure to mark the end of the point, or where the fish are suspending at, with a marker buoy. Still with Me? Okay, now that you have your rig ready to go, cast past the marker buoy and let the jig fall till it hits the bobber stop. Now, slowly work the bait back to the boat stopping the bait frequently on the way. Watch for a strike. THe technique WIll work, you just may have to change up the color to find what they want.

Last edited by Skeeterzx21; 04/20/14 04:51 PM.
Re: Fishing McGee Creek-Okla for first time [Re: nitro250] #9922091 04/20/14 05:00 PM
C
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
C
Hey thanks nitro250. I've already got them lures tied on!!

Re: Fishing McGee Creek-Okla for first time [Re: Skeeterzx21] #9922128 04/20/14 05:26 PM
C
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
C
Dang Brian, you are awesome! If I can't get em with all your info, nothing will help me. I follow you all the way. I do have a GPS with map chip on my boat and am picking up paper maps at Brannans on the way up. I will definitely check out the spots you recommended. I especially like that slip cork and swim bait deal. I will give it a try.

Thanks man!!

Re: Fishing McGee Creek-Okla for first time [Re: chimneymasterbassmaster] #9922174 04/20/14 05:57 PM
S
Skeeterzx21 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
S
You are most welcome. I have been fishing that lake since I was 15 yrs old. I remember how tough that lake can be to first timers. It is almost like the lake has a mind of its own.

If you need any thing just drop me a PM.

Brian

Re: Fishing McGee Creek-Okla for first time [Re: chimneymasterbassmaster] #9922182 04/20/14 06:04 PM
S
Skeeterzx21 Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
S
I forgot one thing, when you make the bend heading west from the Texas Hole, DO NOT RUN ON PLANE for the first 800 yards or so. There is a tree that sets smack dab in the middle of that channel sand it will screw your lower unit up. You will see it on your graph, once you pass it, you can get on plane if you feel comfortable.

Re: Fishing McGee Creek-Okla for first time [Re: chimneymasterbassmaster] #9922865 04/21/14 12:25 AM
C
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
C
Thanks so much, Brian!

Re: Fishing McGee Creek-Okla for first time [Re: chimneymasterbassmaster] #9925665 04/22/14 01:05 AM
N
nitro250 Offline
Angler
Angler
N
Any luck? Waiting for a sucess report cheers

**DON'T HIT THE BRAKES UNTIL YOU SMELL S#!T OR HEAR GLASS BREAK**

[Linked Image]
Re: Fishing McGee Creek-Okla for first time [Re: chimneymasterbassmaster] #9925733 04/22/14 01:30 AM
kiamichisooner Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
To add on to Skeeter. I caught a ton of slot fish this weekend in and around Panther Creek. Start on the rock ledge on your right and fish all the way up it. Panther is in Tapo also. Caught a ton of fish in grassy halo (back ramp on Mcgee side).

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide