Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Question for you guys- Port Mansfield #9915716 04/17/14 06:07 PM
Do-Nothin Offline OP
Pro Angler
OP Offline
Pro Angler
I have been taking a summer trip the past few years with some coaching friends of mine to Port Mansfield. The night fishing (knock on wood) has been incredible! My question is how do we catch fish (Trout, Reds, Flounder, anything really) during the day?? We have tried every year and can't seem to catch anything until right before dark. Like I said, We make this trip once every summer, just to meet up with good friends and hang out for a few days! Any help you Saltwater Guru's could offer would be more than appreciated!!! Thanks in advance!

[Linked Image]
Re: Question for you guys- Port Mansfield [Re: Do-Nothin] #9915788 04/17/14 06:29 PM
P
Pat Goff Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
P
I hope you have a boat...and hope it's capable of decently running shallow. If you do, there's miles and miles of great fishing.

Mansfield is pretty simple fishing, your either wading/drifting grass potholes, or wading specific spots, channel guts, old oilfield canals, or points and cuts on the east cut or intercoastal. Lure choices are simple, 1/8 oz oldham screw lock jig head with a pumpkin/chat sand eel, or same color norton super minnow, Red/white tail when the suns bright. Zara spook type topwater when the wind allows and a weedless spoon in the shallow junky grass.

Your keys for trout: colored water, not gin clear and not chocolate milk, turning clear to green is preferred. Redfish don't care, they'll be in the super clear water in grass. Flounder will congregate in cuts and washes, they like mud/sand with good grass edges.

Keep moving until you start seeing some action, then pound them when you find them. That's your Mansfield recipe.

Pat Goff
Seadrift TX
[Linked Image]
Re: Question for you guys- Port Mansfield [Re: Do-Nothin] #9915893 04/17/14 06:56 PM
Do-Nothin Offline OP
Pro Angler
OP Offline
Pro Angler
awesome advice! Thanks for the help!

Last edited by Do-Nothin; 04/17/14 06:56 PM.

[Linked Image]
Re: Question for you guys- Port Mansfield [Re: Pat Goff] #9917635 04/18/14 12:48 PM
Capt. Andrew Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
Originally Posted By: Pat Goff
I hope you have a boat...and hope it's capable of decently running shallow. If you do, there's miles and miles of great fishing.

Mansfield is pretty simple fishing, your either wading/drifting grass potholes, or wading specific spots, channel guts, old oilfield canals, or points and cuts on the east cut or intercoastal. Lure choices are simple, 1/8 oz oldham screw lock jig head with a pumpkin/chat sand eel, or same color norton super minnow, Red/white tail when the suns bright. Zara spook type topwater when the wind allows and a weedless spoon in the shallow junky grass.

Your keys for trout: colored water, not gin clear and not chocolate milk, turning clear to green is preferred. Redfish don't care, they'll be in the super clear water in grass. Flounder will congregate in cuts and washes, they like mud/sand with good grass edges.

Keep moving until you start seeing some action, then pound them when you find them. That's your Mansfield recipe.

Dang good info. I will add Down South lures to the list and super spook jr bone color. I toss one out at every spot If I dont get a hit in 10 mins I move.

http://FishingCharterspi.com/
Snook,Redfish,Shark, Red snapper, tarpon
Shallow Sport Latitude 27’ Suzuki 300hp
South Texas Boat Outfitters (owner)
Pure Fishing Prostaff
TFO Rods ProStaff.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide