Forums59
Topics1,037,834
Posts13,935,305
Members144,150
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 5 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 9 10
Re: Zebra Mussels Spread to Lake Lewisville [Re: LHodge] #9847429 03/23/14 01:03 PM
J
JACKTHE Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
J
I had a lot to say, but a lot of smart guys on here have already said it much better than I could have. I would like to say that to blame boaters, and fishermen for this is ridiculous. I always drain my boat and motor at the ramp anyway. To have some clown there, charging me twenty dollars to steam clean my boat when it won't even help is nuts.

Jack Theroff
Re: Zebra Mussels Spread to Lake Lewisville [Re: LHodge] #9849273 03/24/14 03:10 AM
W
wrestlefish Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
W
The problem is that boats spread them. Waterways that are connected are most likely screwed, but the unconnected waters can still be protected. Texas has a lot of reservoirs, but many places have a lot of isolated lakes, and those waters would be vulnerable to trailered boats. so, the measures can make a difference, but in Texas, probably not as much. MOst of our waters are connected here. Once one body of water gets them, the sister bodies will most likely be infected as well. So the question is, how much do you do to prevent the spread. Do you just throw your hands up, say uncle, and just spread it carelessly, or do you take REASONABLE measures to help stop or most likely slow the spread. Slowing it is good right now. Looks like there is some biological products that have been tested are are ready to be launched to battle the mussels. IF we can hold them off for just a little while longer while we wait to see if there is any unintended affects from Zequanox, it could help. Hopefully this microbe is the answer. It looks pretty promising.

Last edited by wrestlefish; 03/24/14 03:13 AM.
Re: Zebra Mussels Spread to Lake Lewisville [Re: LHodge] #9850282 03/24/14 04:36 PM
T
texasflycaster Online Content
Extreme Angler
Online Content
Extreme Angler
T
Yup. I think that's right, they're here to stay. I am pretty sure that we had a closure of Texoma due to a Blue Tide event after zebra mussels got established (a downside like the bloom events on other zeeb lakes). So that may be a downside. If you take a look at Ray Roberts right now, tell me I'm wrong, but the clarity has changed dramatically.
Being here to stay is one problem, containment and slowing the spread is another. I may have already said this, but just wait until they hit around Austin, and the Guadalupe river area. Page 1 all day long - tourism economy destroyed. Surprise, surprise surprise.

Re: Zebra Mussels Spread to Lake Lewisville [Re: LHodge] #9857451 03/26/14 09:30 PM
TexExp Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler

This stuff KILLs them!!

http://texasfishingforum.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/ubb/showflat/Number/9841436/Searchpage/1/Main/794225/Words//Search/true/Re:_Invasive_Zebra_Mussel_Inge#Post9841436

Re: Zebra Mussels Spread to Lake Lewisville [Re: 921 Phoenix] #9866651 03/30/14 12:11 PM
C
crapicat Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
C
Originally Posted By: Z522 Ranger
the one thing the zebra mussel do is get on the protection in the entrance to pumps and starve the pumps real hard to pump if they are clogged by zebra mussel

That is about the only negative to the zebra mussel...but that is why the "BIG MONEY" hires Lobbyists (and Biologists) to Persuade the Politicians to enact laws because they don't want to pay a person(s) to clean the pump entrances occasionally.

Re: Zebra Mussels Spread to Lake Lewisville [Re: Wild Bill 1957] #9866656 03/30/14 12:15 PM
C
crapicat Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
C
Originally Posted By: Wild Bill 1957
As a former Great Lakes fisherman, heed the advice and this will slow down the Zebras spread but nothing can completely stop them. The long term results will be gin clear lakes and a breakdown of the food chain.

I have had outstanding fishing on gin clear water! Not only that but it was SAFE to DRINK! So maybe that is a good thing....

Re: Zebra Mussels Spread to Lake Lewisville [Re: wrestlefish] #9866676 03/30/14 12:30 PM
C
crapicat Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
C
Originally Posted By: wrestlefish
The problem is that boats spread them. Waterways that are connected are most likely screwed, but the unconnected waters can still be protected. Texas has a lot of reservoirs, but many places have a lot of isolated lakes, and those waters would be vulnerable to trailered boats. so, the measures can make a difference, but in Texas, probably not as much. MOst of our waters are connected here. Once one body of water gets them, the sister bodies will most likely be infected as well. So the question is, how much do you do to prevent the spread. Do you just throw your hands up, say uncle, and just spread it carelessly, or do you take REASONABLE measures to help stop or most likely slow the spread. Slowing it is good right now. Looks like there is some biological products that have been tested are are ready to be launched to battle the mussels. IF we can hold them off for just a little while longer while we wait to see if there is any unintended affects from Zequanox, it could help. Hopefully this microbe is the answer. It looks pretty promising.

There is no substantial evidence taking REASONABLE measures to help stop (or slow) the spread works...Supposedly, they have been trying to stop (or slow) them for 40 years...still hasn't worked....and we apparently don't have a scientist or biologist with enough ABILITY to come up with a product to kill them (assuming we really want to)...Really? I mean, we have mostly cured cancer, aids, and a host of other calamities....so my question is...how HARD ARE WE REALLY TRYING??? Answer, we are NOT trying to stop it...I would suggest that if we were trying to kill or control them, we already would have...and NOT BY ENACTING LAWS, which also FURTHER LIMITS our FREEDOM.

I am just saying you (and everyone else) need to look beyond the propaganda on this subject and you will begin to see the true devil that is at work on this subject.

Re: Zebra Mussels Spread to Lake Lewisville [Re: wrestlefish] #9866679 03/30/14 12:36 PM
C
crapicat Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
C
Originally Posted By: wrestlefish
Zebra mussels are invasive species. They got here because mankind has learned how to navigate the world. We have and still do put stuff where it is not suppose to be, sometimes by design, and sometimes by accident. Zebra mussels are not here because of birds, they are here because of us, and they are here to stay. We may be able to slow down the infestations, but as long as people move from here to there, there is no stopping their spread. When we make the conscious choice to not drain or boats and follow the guidlines established, the movement is not by accident, it is by humans being careless, and the pattern of humans being careless with the environment has been well documented since the day we first set foot on this great land. As a population, to think that 100% of people will do as they are suppose to is not realistic. There will always be those that think it is not their problem as it easier to ignore the mandates than take them for what they are. The government should do more right? They haven't done anything about it, right? All they do is tell us what we can do and can't do, right? We don't need a big brother right?

All you have to do is read this thread and you can see that we do need a big brother. These things are bad, but there will always be those that will choose to ignore reality and celebrate the clear water! People, as a population, have always been and always will be ignorant when it comes to our environment. Humans have abused our world to the point that many scientists have pointed out that the world is in the midst of another mass extinction, and the fault lies soley on mankind's shoulders. And like the spread of zebra mussels is hard and maybe impossible to stop, part of the reason for that is because the attitude of our population towards the only world we have will also likely not change. Don't forget about your grandkids. It is our responsibility to take care of this earth for them, but that is the problem. Taking care of our earth often clashes with the economic climate. And the economic climate is also very important. People have and always will sacrifice our environment for the mighty dollar; it is a really tough balance as they often are pitted against each other. The price of human progress has been high when it has come to our environment. Unfortunate, but true.

I get so tired of our people complaining because we are trying to do something about zebra mussels, and complaining about trying to do something about hydrilla. When those conversations happen, it is so evident that all we care about is catching a fish without regard to flood control, drinking water, etc. Believe it or not, we have a lot of people that live in Texas, and for us to thrive requires more than just pulling a bass from a hydrilla mat. There is more going on here than most people realize as most of us have blinders on.

This post has the smell of a bleeding liberal imported from California...or another paid political ad....and I would be surprised if you really have any credentials to support your post....

Re: Zebra Mussels Spread to Lake Lewisville [Re: LHodge] #9868629 03/31/14 11:25 AM
D
Duckcreek Davy Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
D
Just a couple of points...and I'm really not meaning to get into a pizzin' contest with anybody here nor do I wish to disrespect anybody on this forum or their opinions. But these thoughts come to mind.
Believe it or not, mankind is just as much a part of the environment as any other creature on the planet. We affect it - it affects us. As much damage as we are capable of doing to the environment, we are the only organism conscious enough to give a rats arse about it. And because of this the levels of pollution in THIS country are MUCH lower than they were 30 - 40 years ago. When I was a young man it was common to see billowing plumes of smoke coming out tailpipes of cars and trucks. Mosquito sprayer trucks rolled every summer night, spraying DDT. Termite exterminators sprayed under houses with Chlordane, a nasty insecticide that remained active in the soil for 15 - 20 years and longer. Smog was prevalent in most major cities. Sewage treatment was not near as efficient and malfunctions at plants resulting in major sewage spills were common. The steel mills and factories and lumber mills and chemical plants spewed toxic waste into rivers to an extent that a few rivers actually caught on fire. So we started enacting rules against this kind of gross negligence and in response the private sector of this country came up with ways to curb the pollution. Guess what? We've done a pretty good job. But in the midst of this our benevolent keeper, "Big Brother" created the EPA and turned them loose on Americas industrial backbone. Through hard handed regulation they shut down most of the major steel mills and similar industries back in the mid 1970's. Well what do you think happened to all of the tooling and equipment in these plants? They didn't just scrap it. Nossir, they sold it to companies in India and Southeast Asia and to the communist thugs in China, or in some cases they just moved their operations overseas and continued manufacturing. Of course all of the smaller companies that supported these industries here in America suffered and many if not most of them went out of business, The "Rust Belt" was born. And while this was going on The Chinese and the Indians and the South Koreans etc. were learning how to use all this equipment they bought at the fire sale. They sucked at it at first, but I venture to say they've gotten pretty good at it now. So our "Big Brother" that is so good to us went out of it's way to see to it they could then flood our shores with their cheap products, made without regard to the well being of human life or any concern for the environment at all. I mean how do we compete with conscripted labor, actual slave labor, prison workers and non-regulation of pollutants? So now we have gone from being the worlds economic powerhouse, The top dog of research, development and manufacturing to a service economy. Sad fact is, if you ever read anything at all on how to grow a healthy economy, you MUST CREATE WEALTH! This can't be stressed enough. Without it's creation you are merely shifting old funds around while they dwindle out to the foreign countries who supply you with your goods. The bulk of the remaining money is shifted around back and forth between Big Brother, government employees, entitlement junkies and bankers and lawyers. The only way you create wealth is by taking a raw material from our planet and turning it into something you can sell to other countries. We don't do that any more. The results of this are baring their fruits as of late, with high unemployment and multi-trillion dollar deposits. So Big Brothers response to the economic nightmare we are all facing is to TIGHTEN DOWN ON EPA REGULATION EVEN MORE! While it fools the fools into believing all is well by allowing the Fed to prime the pump by printing trillions of dollars of money to sell to itself. All the while this goes on the feds...the FBI and the CIA and the NSA and the state and local law enforcement agencies invest billions on military equipment cameras, drones, handheld flirs, Echelon,cell phone stingers, data mining, ammunition etc...etc...all of which is intended for domestic use.

I love the outdoors, and nature. my fishing buddies will testify that I often will spend as much or more time picking up garbage as I do fishing when I go out. I always carry my grabber with me when I fish just for that reason, I support reasonable environmental regulation, but with the knowledge that the private sector if allowed to compete in the market place will find solutions to problems through scientific research and development. Big Brother won't. Big Brother is out of control. Big Brother just spent 350 million of our ....yours, mine and our offsprings dollars on a pipeline so Lake Lavon wouldn't become infected with Zebra Mussels. Boy that worked real good didn't it. Now you can conclude that those of us who question this ever increasing sea of regulation and taxation are a bunch of clods who don't care about what impact the Zebra mussels and other invasives have on our lakes, or that we all think they will be just great because they'll clear the water, but you would be wrong. Just imagine how important this will all be when we are scrounging for food, trying to protect our families from roving bands of thieves as well as our Chinese overlords after our economy completely tanks.It will be the furthest thing from most peoples minds. I'm not a prepper or a John Birch wing-nut, but it's clear to me that this is the direction Big Brother is taking us.

To quote Bob Dylan... " It's a hard rain gonna fall."

Dave Morris

"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." --Thomas Jefferson,
Re: Zebra Mussels Spread to Lake Lewisville [Re: LHodge] #9872651 04/01/14 03:39 PM
Richard-G Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
Most of you people live in a dream world.
The reason there is an issue with the Zebra Mussels is economic only, due to
water supply pipes being clogged with the mussels.

All you hippies out there need to recruit the same group of English scientists who
falsified the global warming data a few years ago. I am sure they could come up with some
interesting results for you hippies.

Re: Zebra Mussels Spread to Lake Lewisville [Re: LHodge] #9881254 04/04/14 04:43 AM
S
StateGameWardenTX Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
S
When it comes to Zebra Mussels the thing to remember is as has been commented before the issue relates to water supply pipes.

The other thing to take into consideration is that all the lakes in the state are designed for water retention and distribution first. All the recreational activities that take place boating, fishing, and swimming are just that recreational and in importance of order are second.

The recreational activities that take place are just a side effect of supplying the masses water.

Somebody made a comment about "cleaning the pipes", it isn't a subject of cleaning the pipes it is replacing the pipes

Law Enforcement Off The Pavement - Serving Texans since 1895

Re: Zebra Mussels Spread to Lake Lewisville [Re: StateGameWardenTX] #9881342 04/04/14 07:46 AM
D
Duckcreek Davy Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
D
Originally Posted By: StateGameWardenTX
When it comes to Zebra Mussels the thing to remember is as has been commented before the issue relates to water supply pipes.

The other thing to take into consideration is that all the lakes in the state are designed for water retention and distribution first. All the recreational activities that take place boating, fishing, and swimming are just that recreational and in importance of order are second.

The recreational activities that take place are just a side effect of supplying the masses water.

Somebody made a comment about "cleaning the pipes", it isn't a subject of cleaning the pipes it is replacing the pipes
Hey, regardless off where folks fall on this issue, it's good to see some feedback from a warden. Glad to have you here and I think your input will be very useful and appreciated.

Dave Morris

"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." --Thomas Jefferson,
Re: Zebra Mussels Spread to Lake Lewisville [Re: crapicat] #9883571 04/05/14 05:17 AM
W
wrestlefish Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
W
Originally Posted By: crapicat

This post has the smell of a bleeding liberal imported from California...or another paid political ad....and I would be surprised if you really have any credentials to support your post....

I am quite confident in my credentials to comment on this subject matter. However, when you read crapicats posts, it is quite evident he doesn't even stand on a platform when it comes to this subject matter. I don't always agree with Duckcreek Dave on this issue, but I appreciate where he is coming from. And I completely understand how environmental legislation often trumps economic progress. Too much of a good thing is often a bad thing. But the government has been responsible for the environmental cleanup of this nation, and the 1972 Environmental Protection Act was overall a good piece of legislation. Does it hault progress sometimes, yes. Is it unreasonable sometimes, yes. But most of the time, it has been a saving grace for our air, water, and natural resources. Our own national bird, the bald eagle, has the EPA to thank for it's existance today. The EPA has it's work cut out for it in the future with big problems that have huge implications to our way of life. Ozone depletion, global warming, air and water quality, sustaining green places for us to enjoy, and of course the invasive species. (And yes, I am of the opinion that global warming is a real thing that is being accelerated by the progress of man. Just to say that since I know some on here want to ignore that research as well). And although it often creates some red tape that is difficult to navigate around, removing the EPA would be disasterous.

The EPA has done a reasonably good job with air quality, water quality, and the protection of our natural resources. The zebra mussel and other invasive species is another battle that has been happening for about a century and seems to be coming to head now especially in the great lakes regions and with zebra mussels throughout the country.

I am from a platform that wants environmental protection. Duckcreek Dave also wants environmental protection but he also wants some fiscal responsibility. I am actually there also, but I am okay with spending more money than Duckcreek dave. Doing things to protect the infrastructure of our watersheds is also a platform. Crapicat should try to find a platform different than celebrating the gin clear water, because out of all the angles you can take on the issue, that is the one that makes you look stupid. He sounds like he wants to lead a campaign to plant zebra mussels in every body of water in Texas so we can enjoy the great fishing and improved drinking water. The only thing gin clear here is a complete disregard for scientific research, environmental responsibility, and the love for the outdoors. It is very sad when fisherman make posts with such apathy for the environment they enjoy. -- Touche

I think it was Forest Gump that said, "Stupid is as stupid does" The EPA has looked stupid at times, but so has industry with out those checks and balances.

Texas is actually in a pretty good situation when it comes to the mussels. It is early enough in the infestation where if we can buy a little time, we can wait and see if the microbe solution works. If it does, we are in the clear, and if it bombs and does unforseen damage, we didn't go there.

Last edited by wrestlefish; 04/05/14 01:23 PM.
Re: Zebra Mussels Spread to Lake Lewisville [Re: LHodge] #9886693 04/06/14 08:14 PM
D
Duckcreek Davy Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
D
I think you are right wrestlefish, we do have the same goals in mind, and I would venture that crapicat shares those goals. I think he is just fed up and frustrated with the workings of government and the waste of money thrown at so many many things that do nothing to benefit either the taxpayer or the environment we live in. I mean with the revelations about the NSA spying on us, the IRS scandal, the attempted takeover of 6% of the nations economy through Obamacare (as a health care worker myself this one hits close to home) etc. It's not hard to become jaded to the governments shennanigans. It's not that I'm opposed to funding research on zebra mussels. I'm all for it. But I say that with the tempered knowledge of the reality facing our country.

As of April 1, 2014, the official debt of the United States government is $17.6 trillion ($17,578,141,920,036).[1] This amounts to:

• $55,372 for every person living in the U.S.

• $143,543 for every household in the U.S.

• 103% of the U.S. gross domestic product.

• 559% of annual federal revenues.

* Publicly traded companies are legally required to account for "explicit" and "implicit" future obligations such as employee pensions and retirement benefits. The federal budget, which is the "federal government's primary financial planning and control tool," is not bound by this rule.

* At the close of the federal government's 2013 fiscal year (September 30, 2013), the federal government had roughly:

• $7.8 trillion ($7,849,000,000,000) in liabilities that are not accounted for in the national debt, such as federal employee retirement benefits, accounts payable, and environmental/disposal liabilities.

• $23.8 trillion ($23,768,000,000,000) in obligations for current Social Security participants above and beyond projected revenues from their payroll and benefit taxes, certain transfers from the general fund of the U.S. Treasury, and assets of the Social Security trust fund.

• $27.3 trillion ($27,300,000,000,000) in obligations for current Medicare participants above and beyond projected revenues from their payroll taxes, benefit taxes, premium payments, and assets of the Medicare trust fund.
source: http://www.justfacts.com/nationaldebt.asp

Now look at the first number where it says "$55,372 for every person living in the U.S." Keeping in mind that now roughly only 50% of us pay any federal tax at all, that doubles the amount a working person will be asked to pay to a total of - $110,744, not including all of the additional debt burden listed above. This number is unfortunately not static, it grows daily.

So the plain wretched truth is,and I hate that this is true, we don't have any money to spend.

Dave Morris

Re: Zebra Mussels Spread to Lake Lewisville [Re: LHodge] #9897069 04/10/14 03:16 PM
O
olefisher Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
O

Page 5 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 9 10
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide