Forums59
Topics1,038,937
Posts13,955,849
Members144,183
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Re: La Perla Lake - future best private bass lake in the world? (long) [Re: Jordan Shipley] #9856692 03/26/14 06:08 PM
fouzman Offline
Methuselah
Methuselah
Originally Posted By: Jordan Shipley
Originally Posted By: fouzman
I had the pleasure of visiting the La Perla ranch a couple years ago while on a trip to Falcon. Fished the lake for a few hours and caught some nice fish. Nothing big but Gary was just getting it going really well. I was very intrigued by the Langostinos and Gary's entire hatchery system. Is he still messing with the big redfish, too?

He has another lake called "Waterworld" which was his first lake project on La Perla Ranch. It's about 20-25 acres. That may be the one you fished. It still has some big redfish in it but not many. Has tons of hybrid stripers most of which are 5-10 lb. Everyone who has fished Waterworld lately has caught at least a few largemouth over 5. It has a good amount of bass in the 8-11 lb range but La Perla Lake which is a good bit younger is quickly passing it by.

Pretty sure we fished La Perla Lake. I was there with Charlie Haralson. Fished out of a Ranger Gary had there. Nice sandy beach on the SW corner if I recall. Beautiful outdoor kitchen. Beautiful place. Particularly like the observation tower and all the silhouettes set up at various distances around and across the lake for shooting contests. One fine adult playground!

Chris Mahfouz

"Things turn out best for those who make the best of the way things turn out" - Zachary Troy Schrah - a young man with vision far beyond his years.
Moritz Chevrolet - 9101 Camp Bowie W Blvd, Fort Worth, TX - Monte Coon (817) 696-2003
Re: La Perla Lake - future best private bass lake in the world? (long) [Re: Jordan Shipley] #9857674 03/26/14 10:29 PM
InTheClear Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
All I can say is, "Hook'em" !

Re: La Perla Lake - future best private bass lake in the world? (long) [Re: Jordan Shipley] #9857864 03/26/14 11:37 PM
D
Dr JL Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
D
Hey Rob and Jackson and Chris I am in let's go!

Re: La Perla Lake - future best private bass lake in the world? (long) [Re: Jordan Shipley] #9858003 03/27/14 12:09 AM
J
Jesse Cornell Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
J
Jealous! Man that would be an experience to fish there!

Re: La Perla Lake - future best private bass lake in the world? (long) [Re: Jordan Shipley] #9858116 03/27/14 12:27 AM
S
Shawn Mead Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
S
Ah...another bucket list lake. Dang it!!...and Hook 'Em

Lake Fork Mafia
Re: La Perla Lake - future best private bass lake in the world? (long) [Re: WTN] #9858189 03/27/14 12:41 AM
L
La Perla Ranch Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
L
Originally Posted By: WTN
I wonder if any of those fish are transplants from Falcon?

That is actually a really good question to discuss, because most people, be it deer guys or owners of private bass lakes, are looking for quick fixes and immediate or at least quick satisfaction. Rarely however does it pay off. The long, hard road is almost always best. I knew this when it came to Whitetails, but I have to admit that I had my knucklehead moments with the fish before my biologist managed to beat some sense into my thick skull concerning the release of Falcon bass.

I have a really good relationship with my Fish guy, John Jones of Lucho Lake Management. We argue back and forth like cats and dogs and debate each other's ideas on issues relative to Bass, and then I decide whether to go with what he advises, or I go with my gut. I have always been an innovator, which has often meant thinking outside of the box and going against conventional wisdom. It has got me where I am with both deer and bass, as my gut has led me to some "never done before" accomplishments. That is the good news. It has also led me into some serious vomits that I regret. Transplanting Falcon Bass was one of those, but I was saved by how small a sample size it was before John woke me up.

John's concern was mainly two things, genetics and disease. He has always argued for a pure Florida in our lakes, but my lack of catch rate in the first 4 years along with the stuff that is out there about the problems with catching the pure strain made me decide to overrule him (big mistake). He was also worried about a virus that bass can get that will wipe you out, and in his views the risks were just too great.

I would like to say that it was my intellect that woke me up, but such was not the case: it was the death rate of the larger transported fish that made me cancel the transplantation program. Out of the roughly 30 fish that several of my friends and I moved to La Perla Lake from Falcon, ranging from 2 to 8 pounds, not a single fish survived that was over 3 pounds, and I already had pure Floridas there that big. They either died in transport or within a day. Heat did not help. It made no sense to continue, and so I stopped.

Remember everyone, whether deer, bass, or anything else, there is no easy quick fix or instant gratification worth chasing.

La Perla Ranch
Zapata County, Texas
tecomateranch.com
Re: La Perla Lake - future best private bass lake in the world? (long) [Re: Jordan Shipley] #9858633 03/27/14 03:02 AM
T
timwins31 Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
T
I can't wait to see what your lakes are putting out in a couple of years. . .and now for that matter. Thinking outside of the box it what makes the best of the best. . .the best. I can honestly say I haven't been this excited about a place in a very very long time.

Re: La Perla Lake - future best private bass lake in the world? (long) [Re: Jordan Shipley] #9858852 03/27/14 07:56 AM
D
District Paddle Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
D
Well this is certainly one of the more interesting threads I have seen in a long time.

Good luck with the project, gentlemen.

Re: La Perla Lake - future best private bass lake in the world? (long) [Re: Jordan Shipley] #9859167 03/27/14 01:18 PM
InTheClear Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
I would like to see you add Mack Brown and R.C. Slocum to the Longhorn/Aggie rematch! It would interesting to listen to their thoughts on these young men post college football/ life after football!

Last edited by InTheClear; 03/27/14 01:20 PM.
Re: La Perla Lake - future best private bass lake in the world? (long) [Re: InTheClear] #9859626 03/27/14 03:24 PM
L
La Perla Ranch Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
L
Originally Posted By: InTheClear
I would like to see you add Mack Brown and R.C. Slocum to the Longhorn/Aggie rematch! It would interesting to listen to their thoughts on these young men post college football/ life after football!

Great idea. Coach Brown loves to bass fish, and He congratulated Jordan by twiitter on his big 12:2 he caught at La Perla. Jordan invited him fishing but he has not heard back yet. I believe Coach Slocum does as well.

We are considering a repeat of the event next year but doing it as a charity fund raiser next time, probably for scholarships for each school. If we do, I will announce it on this forum. We will probably open it to the first 400 contributors, or something like that.

La Perla Ranch
Zapata County, Texas
tecomateranch.com
Re: La Perla Lake - future best private bass lake in the world? (long) [Re: Jordan Shipley] #9859946 03/27/14 05:20 PM
K
KickerFish29 Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
K
I have seen pictures that John has of some of the fish that y'all have caught and shocked up out there. I would have to say I definetly think y'all will break the world record in the next couple of years if everything stays on track !!

Wesley Wyatt

Re: La Perla Lake - future best private bass lake in the world? (long) [Re: Jordan Shipley] #9859955 03/27/14 05:22 PM
T
timwins31 Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
T
State record almost for sure. . .

Re: La Perla Lake - future best private bass lake in the world? (long) [Re: Jordan Shipley] #9859961 03/27/14 05:24 PM
A
Aggiebasser05 Offline
Angler
Angler
A
I can't believe you're on the tff Gary. This is Brandon by the way. I was wondering when y'all were going to let the cat out of the bag about La Perla.

Re: La Perla Lake - future best private bass lake in the world? (long) [Re: La Perla Ranch] #9860293 03/27/14 07:09 PM
S
salex Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
S
Gary,

I commend you on thinking out of the box and humbling yourself to admit when things did not work out as you hoped or planned. For most men, pride gets in the way. Growing big bass is not for the faint of heart, but neither is growing big deer and you have experience in both. As I'm sure you know; harvest is one of the areas most landowners fall short. Food chain is massively important. Remember to get aggressive with your harvest. Shock boat works best has you do not remove the most vulnerable bass (easy to catch). Harvest and pump the food to them. You have a huge advantage to most other Texas lakes. Water above 60 degrees almost year round and tilapia that should survive year round. A great combination that only a few lakes in Texas have the benefit of. I hope you will charge thousands of dollars for a group for a days fishing for all the hard work, money, and consternation you have poured into this project. keep to your strategy of only fishing a few days a month and the bite should stay strong.

Steve Alexander
salexander@privatewaterfishing.com
www.privatewaterfishing.com

Re: La Perla Lake - future best private bass lake in the world? (long) [Re: Jordan Shipley] #9860330 03/27/14 07:22 PM
M
manhunter Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
M
Looks like Doc is gonna give us a chance to give those Cali boys a run for their money. Cali has trout and La Perla has prawns. I can't wait to see how this shakes out!

Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide