Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
While we're on the subject of smokers.... #9773183 02/26/14 04:28 AM
D
Duckcreek Davy Offline OP
TFF Celebrity
OP Offline
TFF Celebrity
D
Anybody else ever used Black Walnut to smoke their meat? I had it suggested to me by a friend of my uncle Arts. He bragged how good it was. Now we have an abundance of old growth Walnut trees on Arts farm so Art and myself cut me a load up this week and I've used it several times already. The wood splits very easily and burns well. This was from wood that had fallen and was fully cured. I gotta tell you...in my opinion it's the best tasting stuff I ever used. I was very happy with it. The only problem is cutting into that beautiful wood knowing you are going to burn it rather than make something pretty out of it. I'll be going back for more of this firewood soon. thumb

Dave Morris

"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." --Thomas Jefferson,
Re: While we're on the subject of smokers.... [Re: Duckcreek Davy] #9773988 02/26/14 03:08 PM
K
Kattelyn Offline
Little Psycho Coffee
Little Psycho Coffee
K
I was taught that any tree that produces something you eat is good for smoking meats.

Re: While we're on the subject of smokers.... [Re: Kattelyn] #9775641 02/26/14 09:46 PM
D
TFF Celebrity
OP Offline
TFF Celebrity
D
Originally Posted By: Kattelyn
I was taught that any tree that produces something you eat is good for smoking meats.

Well you know what, I never thought about it, but that sounds like a good rule of thumb. I know they use fruitwood in a lot of places and brag on it. In fact even the mesquite tree puts out a bean that is edible. I guess you never hear of walnut used for it due to the high value of the wood. It'd be a tough sell bundled up at the 7-11.

Dave Morris

"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." --Thomas Jefferson,
Re: While we're on the subject of smokers.... [Re: Duckcreek Davy] #9775827 02/26/14 10:43 PM
K
Kattelyn Offline
Little Psycho Coffee
Little Psycho Coffee
K
Originally Posted By: Duckcreek Davy

Well you know what, I never thought about it, but that sounds like a good rule of thumb. I know they use fruitwood in a lot of places and brag on it. In fact even the mesquite tree puts out a bean that is edible. I guess you never hear of walnut used for it due to the high value of the wood. It'd be a tough sell bundled up at the 7-11.

Think about it also, mountain ash, hackberry. We could be missing some excellent woods because we don't think about them.

I wonder what rose canes dried up would be like? Or blackberries. Or especially plum wood. They're of the same family.

Re: While we're on the subject of smokers.... [Re: Duckcreek Davy] #9780425 02/28/14 04:04 AM
D
TFF Celebrity
OP Offline
TFF Celebrity
D
hmmm...blackberries? My favorite. A vine rather than tree, but might could be usedfor added flavor. Now I'm thinking I've got to try that.What about citrus trees? ever here of them being used? Of course around here nobody would.

Dave Morris

Re: While we're on the subject of smokers.... [Re: Duckcreek Davy] #9781153 02/28/14 02:49 PM
K
Kattelyn Offline
Little Psycho Coffee
Little Psycho Coffee
K
Yep. I've actually heard of green leaves and even green smallwood. Just a handful though and not as the main wood.

This is a hot smoke over HOT coals to light the volatile oils. But yes. My uncle would use lime or lemon leaves when grilling seafood.

God I wish he was still alive so I could ask him. But I clearly remember him walking over to the lime tree when grilling half a redfish and throwing a handful of leaves on the hot coals and I remember it was good.

I'm going to add this. I remember him grabbing and throwing on the fire a twig of lime, rosemary, and laurel leaves.

Oh, and something else to think about? Grape vines!

Last edited by Kattelyn; 02/28/14 02:56 PM.
Re: While we're on the subject of smokers.... [Re: Duckcreek Davy] #9781228 02/28/14 03:13 PM
K
Kattelyn Offline
Little Psycho Coffee
Little Psycho Coffee
K
Okay, now this is cool and unexpected A complete list of flavors of wood smoke

Re: While we're on the subject of smokers.... [Re: Kattelyn] #9783571 03/01/14 06:01 AM
D
TFF Celebrity
OP Offline
TFF Celebrity
D
Wow, well that is a great article. Thanks for posting it. I'm gonna bookmark that.

I did see they state that willow is a good wood to use also.....ewwwwww. I've been burning willow at my in-laws place. It stinks awful. Sickening smell. barf

Dave Morris

Re: While we're on the subject of smokers.... [Re: Duckcreek Davy] #9784173 03/01/14 05:37 PM
K
Kattelyn Offline
Little Psycho Coffee
Little Psycho Coffee
K
The only thing I can think of that willow is good for is that's where they got asprin from. I wouldn't use the wood for cooking anything because I can't remember anything edible about it. Its all medicine.

Maple keys and ash keys have been pickled and eaten for centuries. Maple syrup.

Acacias are legumes. So, yes. they're going to be tasty.

I don't know alder, but a quick google search reveals that the catkins are edible.

I wouldn't touch cottonwood. Its ... too soft a wood. I can't think of anything edible on it.

Lilac flowers are edible and I've heard of lilac wine

Re: While we're on the subject of smokers.... [Re: Duckcreek Davy] #9784183 03/01/14 05:43 PM
K
Kattelyn Offline
Little Psycho Coffee
Little Psycho Coffee
K
You know, thinking about it, I have to wonder about redbuds. They're related to legumes too, and I know the flowers and pods are edible like sweet peas.

Which would circle back around to the honey locust and black locust since those flowers are related and they're edible too. But then again, they're acacias too, so yes.

Re: While we're on the subject of smokers.... [Re: Duckcreek Davy] #9785548 03/02/14 04:39 AM
D
TFF Celebrity
OP Offline
TFF Celebrity
D
The locust trees have those horrible thorns. They'd sure be fun to cook with. My old friend Alois down in Fredericksburg made wine from Mesquite beans....stuff was quite tasty and would set you free! banana
Now here's something to ponder. Contrary to popular belief and folklore, the Horseapple IS edible by humans. It just doesn't taste real good. Doesn't taste real bad either.I know this because I've eaten it. A university up in Kansas I believe, studied it and found that it is actually kind of a superfood with lots of antioxidants and such as well as some possible medicinal value. But the sappy wood of the osage orange ...or bois d'arc as it's called around here smell foul and would never be used for cooking. It does have the highest BTU value of any of the other native trees and burns very hot.

Dave Morris

Re: While we're on the subject of smokers.... [Re: Duckcreek Davy] #9785667 03/02/14 06:09 AM
K
Kattelyn Offline
Little Psycho Coffee
Little Psycho Coffee
K
Horseapples and osage oranges are two completely different trees. I've thought I saw where horseapples were related to quince but not sure.
bois d'arc / osage oranges are far too valuable to be used for smoking. The fruit is spider and cockroach repellant, the wood is better than cypress for making strong handles that have a beautiful grain and will not rot even when exposed to the elements and water. And they get a lovely yellow dye from it too.
With the insecticidal properties, you don't want it anywhere near food.

Re: While we're on the subject of smokers.... [Re: Duckcreek Davy] #9785672 03/02/14 06:15 AM
K
Kattelyn Offline
Little Psycho Coffee
Little Psycho Coffee
K
I acually have a long standing love of black locust trees. When I was a kid I would ride my bike or walk 2 miles up the road to a stand of black locust trees and bring home bunches of flowers for mama. They're some of my favorite flowers. I remember fritters made from some of those flowers were really good. And then we'd have the rest in a big vase on the table. I am quite aware of how long those spines are cause I've stepped on them more times than I want to think about. And I'll say they go through flip flops ans your foot faster than any nail.

Re: While we're on the subject of smokers.... [Re: Kattelyn] #9785730 03/02/14 08:40 AM
D
TFF Celebrity
OP Offline
TFF Celebrity
D
Horseapples and osage oranges are two completely different trees. I've thought I saw where horseapples were related to quince but not sure.

I'm, enjoying this discussions with you so much I hate to differ with you, but for the sake of accuracy I will. smile To quote Wikipedia: "Maclura pomifera, commonly called Osage orange, hedge apple, horse apple, monkey ball, bois d'arc, bodark, or bodock is a small deciduous tree or large shrub, typically growing to 815 metres (2649 ft) tall. It is dioecious, with male and female flowers on different plants. The fruit from a multiple fruit family, is roughly spherical, but bumpy, and 7.615.2 centimetres (36 in) in diameter. It is filled with a sticky white latex. In fall, its color turns a bright yellow-green."
To Reference Go Here

Yes the wood is very durable, it was planted as a natural fence before the advent of barbed wire and as a windbreak during the dustbowl days. Also used by the Native Americans to make bows. But I'm sure you know all this Kattelyn. It kind of reminds me of a south American wood called "Ipe (pronounced eepay)" I worked for a marina building corporation for a while years ago, and we built a high dollar dock down on Clear Lake using the Ipe wood for the decking. The wood is so durable it did not have to be stained or have any kind of finish or sealant put on top of it (This is a salt water marina too). It was so hard it dulled our cobalt bits and saw blades like we were working with steel. If a piece of it accidentally fell in the water it sunk like a rock. I later saw Ipe trees while in Brasil, and they were also very pretty with lots of pink and purple flowers in their tops during the spring. I believe there are some being grown in the U.S. nowdays.

Dave Morris

Re: While we're on the subject of smokers.... [Re: Kattelyn] #9785731 03/02/14 08:42 AM
D
TFF Celebrity
OP Offline
TFF Celebrity
D
I am quite aware of how long those spines are cause I've stepped on them more times than I want to think about. And I'll say they go through flip flops ans your foot faster than any nail.

I know they'll play the devil with a tractor tire.

Dave Morris

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide