Print Thread
Review: White Rock Creek in N Dallas area #3591101 06/17/09 05:44 PM
D
drjoker Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
D
Since FriscoEd posted a review of his local fishing hole, I'll post a review of another local fishing hole in the DFW area. However, I will not post any more new reviews until someone else posts a review of their fishing hole. If you post a review of a really great fishing hole, I'll post one. If you post a review of a place that sucks, I'll post one to match. Both good and bad reviews are valuable. Bad reviews show you where not to go and waste time. A forum is a place to share information. However, it is not sharing if nobody shares any information. I invite you to share some of your local fishing holes with us. I know of a place where the fishes are so plentiful that a child can catch fish with no effort. I know of another place that the water is so clear you can see the fish so that you could test your lures there. I know of a place where you could fish from an outdoor deck of a restaurant, catch fish, then hand them over to the chef for cooking. I know of a place where you could catch large bass, but you have to know exactly when to go because of local conditions. I go fishing every other day and if turtleturtle, FriscoEd, or anyone else who have posted useful reviews of places (especially places not previously reviewed) send me a PM then I will reveal these and other locations to them. Until y'all post your own reviews, here's a review that's also a preview (hint, hint).

Review of White Rock Creek

Rating: 5

Availability: some parts are private (no fishing) and other parts are public (fishing welcome).

Fishes; The north end of the creek is shallower and has bluegill. The south end of the creek near White Rock Lake is deeper and has crappie and sand bass. Some parts of and tributaries of White Rock Creek have been dammed to create ponds. These ponds often contain channel catfish, bass, bluegill, and sunfish. There are several dozens of these ponds. These are just the ones I recall at the moment; Richland College, Anderson-Bonner, Cottonwood, Heights Park, Bent Tree, Prestonwood, Country Brook, Gleneagles, Turtle Creek, White Rock Creek Pond, Plantation, and Patrick Lane. There are also numerous other ponds with no names along White Rock Creek. Some areas have natural dams of small piles of stones, so it creates a small shallow pool of water about a 1-3 ft deep (on average). This is where the fish are at. The water is usually super clear because many areas are not mud bottomed but stone bottomed with white rocks (hence the name). Many areas are also full of minnows. This makes fishing parts of White Rock Creek like catching fish in a barrel.

Where: There are at least 8 "White Rock Creek" in the DFW area. The biggest one feeds into White Rock Lake. It is over 23 miles long. It starts in Frisco from Plantation Resort Golf Club and ends at White Rock Lake in Dallas.

Description: The best way to fish the creek part of White Rock Creek is fly fishing or live bait with tiny bait like small worms on tiny hooks. Be sure to use surface lures and bait because anything submerged will snag on the white rocks. Just be careful of the snakes and swarms of mosquitos, of which there are many. Some areas are relatively tame so you could take children. Most areas are not. I've seen snakes, field mice, possums, squirrels, turtles, ducks, and even a bobcat once in White Rock Creek. So, have fun, but do keep your eyes peeled.

welcome

I have circled in the upper left of the pic a school of fishes in crystal clear shallow water in White Rock Creek. It is as easy as catching fish in a barrel.

Last edited by drjoker; 06/22/09 06:46 AM.

Enjoy reading reviews of ponds? I invite you to say, "thank you," by writing your own reviews of some of your fishing holes using the following review format;

Review: Pond name and town name.

Rating: 0 (worst) to 5 stars (best)
Availability: no fishing allowed or fishing welcome?
Fishes; types of fishes?
Where: address
Description: best way to fish here?
Re: Review: White Rock Creek [Re: drjoker] #3591553 06/17/09 07:22 PM
F
FriscoEd Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
F
Thanks drjoker. Being new to fishing in this area, I appreciate the reviews. I am also new to the site, so I this is just an opinion, but I think the reviews would be a great sub-forum. Maybe starting with a "New To Fishing" header, and then all kinds of info, like the pond reviews, that some of the more experienced guys/gals would just as soon avoid.

Just a suggestion. Not expecting the forum to change to suit me. Despite my awesomeness.

"YouTube" + "Twitter" + "Facebook" = You Twit Face
Re: Review: White Rock Creek [Re: FriscoEd] #3612523 06/23/09 12:12 PM
W
whiterockjesse Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
W
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_Rock_Creek heres some info on the creek .good fishing to ya

P.B. Carp ....29 lbs .... P.B. Buffalo 34.4
Re: Review: White Rock Creek [Re: FriscoEd] #3616647 06/24/09 06:08 AM
D
drjoker Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
D
Because of new reviews of ssj3goten, FriscoEd, and turtleturle, I'm going to post some more super cool fishing holes here.

For crappie fishing, park on E Lawther just South of NW Hwy. On White Rock Creek upstream from E Lawther and NW Hwy, all the way up to the Dart Rail, is Crappie fishing heaven, especially in the early spring.

For giant sand bass and crappie, try under the skillman bridge over white rock creek.

Crappie and sand bass are here from Jan to March, after that, they migrate downriver to white rock lake's deeper, cooler waters (although white rock lake is not that deep). The sand bass are there to spawn.

I invite you to write your own reviews so that I may respond with more cool fishing holes.

Have fun!
banana

Last edited by drjoker; 06/25/09 03:31 PM.

Enjoy reading reviews of ponds? I invite you to say, "thank you," by writing your own reviews of some of your fishing holes using the following review format;

Fishes; types of fishes?
Re: Review: White Rock Creek [Re: drjoker] #3617012 06/24/09 01:17 PM
T
turtleturtle Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
T
Hey Drjoker I love to crappie fish. Maybe we can go to that spot sometime. Also I fished your home pond yesterday for bluegill. I got probably 20 in about a couple of hours! Some of those bluegill were huge! I really thought I had on a bass or a cat! Thanks for the format for the reviews. I think that they will help a lot of people. I know that they help me.

Re: Review: White Rock Creek [Re: turtleturtle] #3622078 06/25/09 03:38 PM
D
drjoker Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
D
Thanks to Sir Frankus's review, here's another tidbit about White Rock Creek.

On Greenville Rd, between Wallnut and Royal, on your right hand side as you're going NE on Greenville, is a soccer field. Park there and go behind the soccer fields to fish for sand bass and crappie in the spring. There is black bass there year round, too.

The more reviews you write, the more juicy tidbits I'll post. Have fun!
banana

P.S. turtleturtle, I would be more than happy to go fish there with you during the spawn Jan to March. I'll let you know when I'm going to fish your home pond at the Carrollton library through the website. Check your PM messages.

Last edited by drjoker; 06/25/09 03:45 PM.

Fishes; types of fishes?
Re: Review: White Rock Creek [Re: drjoker] #3622800 06/25/09 06:08 PM
T
turtleturtle Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
T
Cool.

Re: Review: White Rock Creek [Re: turtleturtle] #3632086 06/28/09 07:21 AM
D
drjoker Offline OP
Outdoorsman
OP Offline
Outdoorsman
D
Thanks to a recent review posted by MikeG02, here is another golden fishing hole on White Rock Creek. I invite you to post more reviews so that I may respond by posting more juicy tidbits. Have fun!

On the SW corner of Legacy and Preston, park at the bank and go fish White Rock Creek for Bass, Bluegill, Channel Catfish, and Sunfish. There is a little of everything for everyone here. You may drop a cane pole amongst water lillies for Bluegill. You may fish under a bridge for channel catfish. You may cast artificial lures for bass. There are minnows here but they are mostly too small to use as bait. I have never had any trouble from the bank employees fishing behind their bank. Just don't do anything crazy like park your car to block their drive-thru window or litter and you'll be O.K.

Enjoy!
fish

P.S. There are plenty of other fishing holes in White Rock Creek. I invite you to keep posting reviews so that I may respond by posting more cool places to fish.

Last edited by drjoker; 06/28/09 06:59 PM.

Fishes; types of fishes?
Re: Review: White Rock Creek [Re: drjoker] #9763376 02/23/14 05:25 AM
J
jrt963 Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
J
If you're fishing from the bank here is it best to fish an area for a while until you find some action, or would I have better luck pitching out a bobber and sitting for a while? I'm pretty inexperienced and only have minor experience fishing with a jig. Thanks for the help. Tips appreciated =)

Re: Review: White Rock Creek [Re: drjoker] #9780565 02/28/14 04:43 AM
J
jagg Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
J
Casting a jig with a small curly tail grub on the back would be best to find fish if there's no a lot of veg or timber to snag your rig. If the water is not friendly to casting a jig, but a tube jig under a bobber, cast it out and give it small pops for a retrieve back to the bank.

Bless the Lord, O my soul,
and all that is within me,
bless His Holy Name!

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCBzsXYK-44H5uEUe3WXjmLg
Re: Review: White Rock Creek [Re: drjoker] #10871949 05/26/15 12:55 AM
M
minners Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
M
Wondering if anyone's found anything new since this was first posted, maybe some more reviews??

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide