Forum Stats
102732 Members
61 Forums
859280 Topics
11272923 Posts

Max Online: 36273 @ 01/23/13 02:34 PM
Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#9680028 - 01/26/14 04:34 PM Made Some Upgrades and Add-Ons to the Trailer!
Neumie Offline
TFF Team Angler

Loc: SA, Hallettsville, Rockport
Hi, my name is Josh and I have a problem; I'm addicting to adding "luxury" items and other stuff to my kayak trailer. It's odd, really, considering I keep my kayaks rigged out really basic compared to most yak anglers.

When I first added the stereo and interior lights I kind of half-assed it and it always bugged me having wires running everywhere. So I decided to strip the interior of the kayak and do a complete overhaul of the electronics. While I was going through the effort of gutting the interior I took that opportunity to repaint it. I also figured it was the perfect time to add a few things that I've always wanted. So here's what I did.

In this picture I cleaned up the wiring going into the battery and added a fuse box with integrated bus bars. Each electrical connection has dedicated fuse and lines running to them with no unnecessary slicing. You can also see I added a vent to help circulate air (there are now four total, and something that need to be done a long time ago). All wiring is now run through flex tubing.

Out with the cheap LED car lights and in with waterproof LEDs. I relocated the lights and switches to the under rail of the outside wall. This really cleaned up the interior of the box to the point where it's hard to see any exposed wires, unlike before. You can also see in the top right that I installed gas shocks to assist in opening and holding the doors open. No more me accidentally hitting the wooden dowels that I used to use and having the door hit me in the head.

OK, now some fun stuff. I'm always worried of someone breaking into my kayak while I'm fishing. While I know I can never prevent someone who's determined I can do my best to prevent it. So I added a small car alarm (black boxy thing on the left) wired to magnetic switches on the doors (seen top left). So when it's armed and someone opens the door they'll get an ear-full, and trust me it's loud. I may post a video later. The cool thing is I activate siren the same way you would your own car alarm, with a key-fob. The key-fob let's me activated two separate things so along with being able to turn the siren on and off I also wired my rear floodlight to turn on. It always bothered me to have to get out walk to the back of the trailer, turn on the light, and get back into my truck to back up to the water's edge.

While I rewiring I decided to add a dual USB port to allow me to charge extra camera batteries or whatever. Not sure how often I'll use it, but it was one of those mind as well items since I was going through all this effort. Not pictured is a "gutter" I put under the hinges of both doors made from bicycle tubes split in half. I had a problem of rain water collecting on the doors and when I would go to open them water would just pour into the trailer. We'll see how this works.

Now in the category for why the hell not I added.........curb feelers. Um, no explanation really, just some chrome cat whiskers.

I need to give the outside another coat of paint, but this trailer is ready for a new year of fishing.

Thanks for looking.

#9680052 - 01/26/14 04:48 PM Re: Made Some Upgrades and Add-Ons to the Trailer! [Re: Neumie]
Shaun Russell Offline
TFF Celebrity

Loc: Ray Roberts
Very nice Josh,

And he saith unto them, Follow me, and I will make you fishers of men.
Matthew 4:19

#9680428 - 01/26/14 07:47 PM Re: Made Some Upgrades and Add-Ons to the Trailer! [Re: Neumie]
Fishgutz Offline
Angler

Loc: Benbrook Tx
Nice job!!!

#9680457 - 01/26/14 07:55 PM Re: Made Some Upgrades and Add-Ons to the Trailer! [Re: Neumie]
FlaNative Online   content
Angler

Loc: Between Azle & Lake Worth
Two words, Neumie... "Rigger's Anonymous"! rolfmao

Excellent work... you could market trailers like that!
Florida Native by Birth, Texan by Choice

#9680475 - 01/26/14 08:01 PM Re: Made Some Upgrades and Add-Ons to the Trailer! [Re: Neumie]
pelican Offline
Extreme Angler

Loc: Grapevine
Very nice! thumb

I've never been good, But I've been Lucky!
I don't Lie or Exaggerate, but sometimes I remember BIG!

#9680523 - 01/26/14 08:13 PM Re: Made Some Upgrades and Add-Ons to the Trailer! [Re: Shaun Russell]
Robbie Milam Online   content

Loc: DFW
Originally Posted By: Shaun Russell
Very nice Josh,

#9680543 - 01/26/14 08:21 PM Re: Made Some Upgrades and Add-Ons to the Trailer! [Re: Neumie]
banker-always fishing Offline
TFF Guru

Loc: Universal City Tx.
Nicely done. Good job. cheers

IGFA World Record Rio Grande Cichlid. Lake Dunlap.

John 3:16

#9680902 - 01/26/14 10:08 PM Re: Made Some Upgrades and Add-Ons to the Trailer! [Re: Neumie]
RogerB Offline
Extreme Angler

Loc: McKinney, Tx
Good stuff. thumb

Do you have any pics or did you ever do a thread that shows your overall trailer? I know I've seen it at GTG's but never really got to check it out.

#9681106 - 01/27/14 06:54 AM Re: Made Some Upgrades and Add-Ons to the Trailer! [Re: RogerB]
Bass Art Offline
TFF Team Angler

Loc: Talty, TX
Originally Posted By: FishAll50
Good stuff. thumb

Do you have any pics or did you ever do a thread that shows your overall trailer? I know I've seen it at GTG's but never really got to check it out.

Definitely! Can you add a couple of pics of the overall layout?

#9681131 - 01/27/14 07:11 AM Re: Made Some Upgrades and Add-Ons to the Trailer! [Re: Neumie]
Yak FinAddic Offline
Extreme Angler

Loc: Garland, TX
That looks sweet Josh! Too bad the alarm didn't have one more switch to activate the leds. Overall, very impressive. cheers

#9681165 - 01/27/14 07:34 AM Re: Made Some Upgrades and Add-Ons to the Trailer! [Re: Neumie]
FishingRythe Offline
Pro Angler

Loc: Wichita Falls, TX
Wow Josh that trailer has come a long way from the first time I saw it.

#9681177 - 01/27/14 07:40 AM Re: Made Some Upgrades and Add-Ons to the Trailer! [Re: Yak FinAddic]
Neumie Offline
TFF Team Angler

Loc: SA, Hallettsville, Rockport
Originally Posted By: Bass Art
Originally Posted By: FishAll50
Good stuff. thumb

Definitely! Can you add a couple of pics of the overall layout?

Here's the thread showing the entire build process: Click
This is just the pic slideshow: Click

The whole project took longer than I anticipated mainly because I built it when I had the extra money to blow on it and that summer was the one when we nearly set the record for consecutive 100 days. I really sucked going down to work in the garage at 7 am and it would already be over 990 deg.

Here's the layout. The driver side contains the rod holder, battery, stereo, and most of the other electrical. The center divider is offset 8" and there's three tier rod holders. The passenger side has the large open area has enough storage room for gear and tackle for 4 or so anglers. The front of the trailer has a room for strapping down coolers and other bulk gear.

Here's the video (you may have to click on the pic):

Originally Posted By: Yak FinAddic
That looks sweet Josh! Too bad the alarm didn't have one more switch to activate the leds. Overall, very impressive. cheers

Yeah, I thought about what to do with the extra switch on the key fob. I ultimately decided it really annoyed me for some reason to have to get out of my truck to turn on the rear spot light and get back into my truck to back down to the water. I wired the rear light to be either switched on with the remote or the maul switch.

#9681186 - 01/27/14 07:44 AM Re: Made Some Upgrades and Add-Ons to the Trailer! [Re: Neumie]
C-Frog Online   content
Extreme Angler

Loc: The Colony,TX
Sweet Josh

#9681338 - 01/27/14 08:44 AM Re: Made Some Upgrades and Add-Ons to the Trailer! [Re: Neumie]
Todd™ Online   content
TFF Team Angler

Loc: On my kayak
Looking good Josh! thumb Now time for the grill rolfmao

Edited by Todd™ (01/27/14 08:44 AM)

http://www.mariner-kayaks.com/

#11015415 - 08/02/15 03:04 PM Re: Made Some Upgrades and Add-Ons to the Trailer! [Re: Neumie]
Dallas Cowboy Offline
Green Horn

where did you get the fuse box?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

© 1998-2016 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide