Page 1 of 2 1 2
Yegua Tough Guys looking for new members #9543074 12/07/13 01:51 AM
H
hook-line&sinker Offline OP
TFF Guru
OP Offline
TFF Guru
H
On Saturday December 14th, 2013 I'm kayaking up the Yegua to scout out the creek for the upcoming crappie & whitebass spawning season. The lake is rising steadily but is still nearly 3 feet below pool level which will make for a very tough muddy trek to the mouth of the creek up from the boat ramp at Nails Creek Park.

Because the road to Newmans Bottom on the Yegua is closed for repairs due to a washed-out culvert the only access to lower Yegua creek is from the state park either by hiking in or boating up from the lake.

Two years ago we had a very similar situation with the lake but 5 guys joined me on a day in early March as we paddled, dragged and pushed our way up the Yegua to catch lots of fish. It was a very tough trip to and from the creek across the lake but once in the creek proper the going was much easier and the fishing was great.

Since that time I've learned a little bit and we don't have to expend that much effort if we follow a slightly different trek to the creek. It will be muddy but there should be enough water to paddle/float/drag the kayak most of the way across the lake to the creek.

For those that want to go but might not have the wherewithal to cover the longer distance to the Yegua we will pass right by the mouth of Nails creek. Nails creek is fairly easy to access, well defined and the mouth is 300 yards closer to the launch site at the park.

I do not know if the fishing will be any good but that is only a small part of this adventure as you will learn if you go.

Please be advised this type of trip isn't for the weak or unprepared. The weather and water is cold so the risk of hypothermia is very real especially if you get wet. We will be out in the elements for many hours and expending lots of energy so be prepared or stay home where its warm and dry. I suggest a good pair of waders and to dress warmly but bring a change of closes in case you get wet.

>)));> Wishin' I was Fishin' <;(((<

“Personnel is the most vital and important aspect of any industry.
If you’re just going to grind them up, it’s not going to end well for anybody.”
SCOTT REINARDY

Re: Yegua Tough Guys looking for new members [Re: hook-line&sinker] #9543431 12/07/13 03:39 AM
E
ebk06 Offline
Angler
Angler
E
I cant make it the 14th but after reading about the trips you made over the last couple years, I'm interested in joining. If my schedule allows this coming up year anyhow.

Re: Yegua Tough Guys looking for new members [Re: hook-line&sinker] #9544370 12/07/13 04:12 PM
B
B_Rod Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
B
Dang it, Ben. I would love to join the Tough Guys, but can't that weekend. Looking forward to your report, though.

Re: Yegua Tough Guys looking for new members [Re: hook-line&sinker] #9544591 12/07/13 05:13 PM
P
PayneFish Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
P
Unfortunately that is the day I'll be fishing the Santa Claus Classic on Lady Bird. Maybe next time. Sounds like fun!

Re: Yegua Tough Guys looking for new members [Re: hook-line&sinker] #9545060 12/07/13 07:22 PM
B
Bug-e Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
B
I definitely want to make some of these trips this winter, but unfortunately I will be moving that weekend. I'll be doing a furniture lifting challenge instead of kayak dragging in the mud.

Re: Yegua Tough Guys looking for new members [Re: hook-line&sinker] #9551865 12/10/13 02:04 AM
H
TFF Guru
OP Offline
TFF Guru
H
Don't fret about missing this trip because the fishing will heat up as the lake rises and warms. January thru February should be great so there is plenty of time to slay the Yak Dragon..

SCOTT REINARDY

Re: Yegua Tough Guys looking for new members [Re: hook-line&sinker] #9551922 12/10/13 02:14 AM
H
TFF Guru
OP Offline
TFF Guru
H
I'm considering a long weekend camp-out at the park this year that might turn into a kayak fishing event if enough people show an interest in doing so. I can get the enclosed park pavilion for the weekend to use as headquarters, exhibit and dining hall but I'll need a date to focus on first. Late January early February might be best. I'm thinking a pot-luck fish fry social Saturday afternoon-evening.

SCOTT REINARDY

Re: Yegua Tough Guys looking for new members [Re: hook-line&sinker] #9552527 12/10/13 04:17 AM
C
CampandFish Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
C
Originally Posted By: hook-line&sinker
I'm considering a long weekend camp-out at the park this year that might turn into a kayak fishing event if enough people show an interest in doing so. I can get the enclosed park pavilion for the weekend to use as headquarters, exhibit and dining hall but I'll need a date to focus on first. Late January early February might be best. I'm thinking a pot-luck fish fry social Saturday afternoon-evening.

I would like to come to this!

Re: Yegua Tough Guys looking for new members [Re: hook-line&sinker] #9552789 12/10/13 06:56 AM
M
Mighty Z Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
M
Wish I could make it on Saturday. Sounds like a fun trip. I look forward to reading a report.

Re: Yegua Tough Guys looking for new members [Re: hook-line&sinker] #9553580 12/10/13 05:18 PM
H
TFF Guru
OP Offline
TFF Guru
H
This Saturday (December 14th) I'll leave the Navasota river bottom to the deer and ducks as I kayak Yegua creek up from the state park. Unlike hunting private property I can invite as many friends and fellow fishermen to the state park as I want. When it comes to kayaking and fishing with friends there is plenty of room on the creek for the quiet sport.

A couple of kayaking fishermen friends of mine have already made the Yegua paddle trip recently and reported that the fish are biting. The lake is still lower than I'd like but that just makes getting into and out of the Yegua a Yak dragon affair instead of a paddle.

If all goes as planned I'll be launching the yak from the Nails Creek Park boat ramp about 9am and fishing all day. I'll head in about 4pm to allow a full hour for the paddle-drag back to the park before it gets dark.

The weather forecast for Saturday is sunny and breezy with a high of 52 and the low of 32. Sounds like good conditions to kayak the creek and fish for dinner wink

SCOTT REINARDY

Re: Yegua Tough Guys looking for new members [Re: hook-line&sinker] #9553775 12/10/13 06:33 PM
C
Cudadude Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
C
Originally Posted By: hook-line&sinker

Sounds like my kind of fun for sure.

Re: Yegua Tough Guys looking for new members [Re: hook-line&sinker] #9560813 12/13/13 01:58 AM
M
Mighty Z Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
M
Plans have changed. Looks like I am in for Saturday.

Re: Yegua Tough Guys looking for new members [Re: hook-line&sinker] #9561019 12/13/13 02:58 AM
H
TFF Guru
OP Offline
TFF Guru
H
Bill H. and I are planning on giving it a go Saturday, we should be at the park by about 9am or so and headed towards the creek shortly thereafter.. I'll be keeping the crappie because my freezer is empty of fish. The timing of the cold front might put a reel damper on the fishing.. I've seen it happen way too many times! Hope to see you there!

SCOTT REINARDY

Re: Yegua Tough Guys looking for new members [Re: hook-line&sinker] #9564153 12/14/13 04:31 AM
H
TFF Guru
OP Offline
TFF Guru
H
Saturday is suppose to start Ok but turning colder and windy by the afternoon.. Not the best conditions for fishing but we are going anyway.. after all it is the Yegua tough guy series... Don't look to catch much but a couple of cold tired old guys wink

SCOTT REINARDY

Re: Yegua Tough Guys looking for new members [Re: hook-line&sinker] #9564484 12/14/13 01:39 PM
H
TFF Guru
OP Offline
TFF Guru
H
Weatherman needs to have a look outside.. BEAUTIFUL sunny skies and cool.. Should be a great day on the Yegua

SCOTT REINARDY

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide