Got this recipe for rarebit sauce years ago.
Younkers Rarebit Sauce for Burgers
Des Moines, Iowa
• 1/3 cup cooking oil
• 1/3 cup all purpose flour
• 1 teaspoon paprika
• ¼ teaspoon salt
• ¼ teaspoon dry mustard
• 2 cups 2 percent reduced-fat milk
• 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
• ¼ teaspoon bottled hot pepper sauce
• 1 cup shredded process sharp American cheese
1. Place oil in a medium saucepan. Stir together flour, paprika, salt, and dry mustard.
2. Add flour mixture to oil; cook and stir for 1 minute. Stir in milk all at once.
3. Cook and stir over medium heat until thickened and bubbly. Cook and stir 1 minute more.
4. Remove from heat; stir in Worcestershire sauce and hot pepper sauce.
5. Add cheese and stir until melted. Pour over burger with toasted bun on top.
Makes 2 cups.
Note: I add just a little more of each of the spices, wet & dry, for a little more distinct flavor. I also double the batch & freeze it & thaw out what I need later. It keeps very well. When I thaw it, I take it out of the freezer & let it thaw on the edges & scoop it out, or microwave it for a short period of time.
To make Younkers popular rarebit burgers, cook 8 hamburger patties to 170 degrees until no pink remains. Place each burger in a toasted hamburger bun. Spoon about ¼ cup of rarebit sauce over each bun. Serve immediately.
On average, your heart beats 100,000 times a day. One day, one of those heartbeats will be your last. Then what?
The answer is found in Jesus Christ who said "I am come that they might have life, and that they might have it more abundantly." John 10:10
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~