Print Thread
PPF: Reader Recommendations for Kayaks Under $600 #9518254 11/27/13 04:12 PM
P
PayneFish Offline OP
TFF Celebrity
OP Offline
TFF Celebrity
P

Your voice has been heard! Three more highly recommended kayaks under $600 suggested by the readers.

After asking for input on recommended kayaks under $600, the walls opened up and an outpouring of models came to the forefront. Three of these were heard time and time again so I wanted to present them to you as a follow up. You guys are full of great info and while I haven't paddled these kayaks listed below, they received overwhelming support yesterday and today. Please keep in mind weight capacities when looking at kayaks, especially those at lower prices. If the weight capacity is listed at 350 pounds, I wouldn't recommend it to someone over 200. With weight capacities, a good rule of thumb is to take off 25% of the listed value. If you and your gear are under that, you should be good. The closer you get to that number, the more water that will come in through the scuppers. You can add scupper plugs but that will keep water from draining out and can in some cases reduce stability.

Added to the list were the BPS Ascend FS12T, Perception Scout 12 and OK Scrambler.

http://www.paynespaddlefish.com/2013/11/readers-recommended-kayaks-under-600.html

Re: PPF: Reader Recommendations for Kayaks Under $600 [Re: PayneFish] #9518298 11/27/13 04:32 PM
R
RogerB Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
R
Good stuff Chris and keeps getting better. Just a note: I have looked at a scout at academy and the boat I was looking at was what I would consider a hybrid. I know the descr they give with the boat is a SOT but it is not a scuppered boat which IMO is one of the criteria to different a SOT from hybrids or others or at least many people expect a SOT to be scuppered. The boat is still a double hull design however, so I also wouldn't call it a SINK.....hybrid seems the right term. Since the ability to drain seems to be a big criteria or concern for many kayakers, it might be good to add that this is a non-scuppered boat so no one is surprised. Again, the ones I have looked at were not scuppered......but had "indentions" where a scupper hole would be.

Re: PPF: Reader Recommendations for Kayaks Under $600 [Re: PayneFish] #9518317 11/27/13 04:39 PM
M
Mulholland Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
M
Yes, they are a hyrbid kayak, so no self bailing however they do sit you MUCH lower giving better center of gravity for a stable ride. Similarly to the pescador being a retired higher end mold, the scout used to be the Mad River Synergy, if you want to find more thorough details and reviews of it, and more videos on youtube.

I vastly prefer the open storafe to dry storage too... i havent yet learned to utilize dry storage so really to me its just less accessable storage. I see a lot of higher end fishing kayaks hat also feature open storage front and rear like that one does. Had i known i was going to be riding in a swamp regardless of my being only 180lb in my pescador, scuppered and rated at 350lb,I wouldve never chosen it over the scout. I think the pescador is supposed to be a good bit quicker though, so at least thrre is that.

Re: PPF: Reader Recommendations for Kayaks Under $600 [Re: RogerB] #9518354 11/27/13 04:56 PM
P
PayneFish Offline OP
TFF Celebrity
OP Offline
TFF Celebrity
P
Originally Posted By: FishAll50
Good stuff Chris and keeps getting better. Just a note: I have looked at a scout at academy and the boat I was looking at was what I would consider a hybrid. I know the descr they give with the boat is a SOT but it is not a scuppered boat which IMO is one of the criteria to different a SOT from hybrids or others or at least many people expect a SOT to be scuppered. The boat is still a double hull design however, so I also wouldn't call it a SINK.....hybrid seems the right term. Since the ability to drain seems to be a big criteria or concern for many kayakers, it might be good to add that this is a non-scuppered boat so no one is surprised. Again, the ones I have looked at were not scuppered......but had "indentions" where a scupper hole would be.

Just made the update. Thanks Roger!

Re: PPF: Reader Recommendations for Kayaks Under $600 [Re: Mulholland] #9518370 11/27/13 05:00 PM
P
PayneFish Offline OP
TFF Celebrity
OP Offline
TFF Celebrity
P
Originally Posted By: Mulholland

I vastly prefer the open storafe to dry storage too... i havent yet learned to utilize dry storage so really to me its just less accessible storage.

One good turtle in 40 ft of water cured me pretty good. Now I like it below deck or lashed down. Not that it's right or wrong but it sure changed my mind. I don't like lashing often because of tangling so I rarely do it. It's like being tangled in a fishing net in 40 ft of water with waves trying to drown you and a boat you are attached to trying to knock you out. Even with a life jacket it's dangerous.

Re: PPF: Reader Recommendations for Kayaks Under $600 [Re: PayneFish] #11845312 09/23/16 07:30 PM
M
Maribe Linda Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
M
when i go to buy a Kayak then i always follow:

Brand:Some of Tandem, Recreational Kayaks or so on
Rating: i always Search internet and follow user rating.
price: price is not metter if i like

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide