Forums59
Topics1,037,831
Posts13,935,274
Members144,150
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 4 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 9 10
Re: Zebra Mussels Spread to Lake Lewisville [Re: LHodge] #9348589 09/26/13 04:06 PM
C
ChuChu1 Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
C

Snowflakes and entitled brats will be the doom of America!

Re: Zebra Mussels Spread to Lake Lewisville [Re: LHodge] #9434927 10/27/13 10:58 PM
R
rossicraig Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
R
They'll be everywhere if they're not already

Re: Zebra Mussels Spread to Lake Lewisville [Re: fishslime] #9436990 10/28/13 05:58 PM
T
TexomaPowerboater Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
T
Originally Posted By: fishslime
There ought to be use for these things. Maybe they could be harvested somehow, mixed with asphalt, and use them to pave the roads. Some of the roads around Lake Fork (Hwy 17) already sound like they have done this - noisy is not the word.

You can eat them in a stew.

Last edited by TexomaPowerboater; 10/28/13 05:59 PM.
Re: Zebra Mussels Spread to Lake Lewisville [Re: fishslime] #9438779 10/29/13 04:08 AM
C
crapicat Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
C
Originally Posted By: fishslime
There ought to be use for these things. Maybe they could be harvested somehow, mixed with asphalt, and use them to pave the roads. Some of the roads around Lake Fork (Hwy 17) already sound like they have done this - noisy is not the word.

Hmmm, livestock mineral additive maybe? No wait use the crushed shells for laying chickens...the need them to lay eggs with good hard shells.

Re: Zebra Mussels Spread to Lake Lewisville [Re: General Jigs] #9438781 10/29/13 04:11 AM
C
crapicat Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
C
Originally Posted By: General Jigs
Originally Posted By: TexomaPowerboater
Originally Posted By: crapicat
I was up on Texoma this weekend and noticed signs warning of Zebra mussel infestations...do you have any idea how long they have been established there and what, if any, impact has resulted over that time horizon?

I think this is the third year with zebra mussels on Texoma. IMO its been a net positive for the lake because they have made the water clear. The first 2 years they came on strong. I would find them all over the shoreline and beaches. Now I rarely see them at all. Catfish and crawfish eat them. I think carp and drum may eat them as well. Hasn't affected the fishing. I don't do anything for the boats either. We have sea ray on a lift and 40ft houseboat that stays in the water and we have not had any problems despite absolutely no prevention measures. Best thing you can do is drive the boats once a week although the houseboat rarely gets driven and still no zebra mussel problems. Initially in the first two years there were a lot of reports of big boats with zebra mussel problems.

Ya'll just need to drain the water out of your boats which you should be doing anyways.

I am from New York, and grew up fishing lake Erie; i have seen how the zebra muscles affected the water and fishery, i can tell you that it takes longer than 3 years to see the negative impacts of these prolific breeders.

nothing affects the habitat of fish like crystal clear water, do some research on it. i remember seeing the fish swimming around 35-40' down at times on Lake Erie. This clarity definitely changes fish behavior and ability to cope with the sun and its affects on them and their habitat.

zebra muscles are not an asset, rather they are a destructive, non-native species to our ecosystem that should have never been released into our waterways by foreign ships so long ago. they disrupt the food chain and as the smaller fish get hit in population size, eventually the game fish we all love to catch will see a decline as well.

hopefully our native Texas species fight back and show these foreigners who the boss of Texas is!

I have caught tons of fish in the crystal clear waters in Canada...just saying....

Re: Zebra Mussels Spread to Lake Lewisville [Re: LHodge] #9462906 11/07/13 04:48 AM
T
texasflycaster Online Content
Extreme Angler
Online Content
Extreme Angler
T
I missed the part where scientists say birds are transporters. There's evidence of that?
Anybody heard of Zequanox?

Last edited by texasflycaster; 11/07/13 04:49 AM.
Re: Zebra Mussels Spread to Lake Lewisville [Re: texasflycaster] #9480602 11/14/13 12:58 AM
D
Duckcreek Davy Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
D
Originally Posted By: texasflycaster
I missed the part where scientists say birds are transporters. There's evidence of that?
Anybody heard of Zequanox?

The evidence for birds spreading them is kinda sketchy. Problem is there have been very few studies done regarding this. The only info I've read so far that sounds legit is from a study made back in the 90's. http://www.significantudders.com/quagga/Johnsonpaper.pdf
It found that birds can transport the zebra mussels, but it concluded that they would be in small enough concentrations that they would probably not be viable for reproduction. Based on this there are many government entities that claim "Birds Do Not Spread Zebra Mussels." Well I think that is a ridiculous assumption to make based on the sheer number of birds traveling from one spot to the other. I would venture to say that cormorant populations in most areas were much lower when the one study was made.
And hey! Thanks for bringing up Zequanox. I never heard of it, but google took care of that. It sounds pretty encouraging. Nice to read some good news about this fiasco every now and then!

Dave Morris

"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." --Thomas Jefferson,
Re: Zebra Mussels Spread to Lake Lewisville [Re: LHodge] #9716103 02/07/14 06:38 PM
Wild Bill 1957 Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
As a former Great Lakes fisherman, heed the advice and this will slow down the Zebras spread but nothing can completely stop them. The long term results will be gin clear lakes and a breakdown of the food chain.

Re: Zebra Mussels Spread to Lake Lewisville [Re: Wild Bill 1957] #9717932 02/08/14 05:11 AM
C
crapicat Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
C
Originally Posted By: Wild Bill 1957
As a former Great Lakes fisherman, heed the advice and this will slow down the Zebras spread but nothing can completely stop them. The long term results will be gin clear lakes and a breakdown of the food chain.

We Do take it seriously Wild Bill, it just peeves some of us that they completely overlook many of the causes for the spread and simply focus on "limiting our rights/freedoms" and "use this issue as an excuse to hit our pocket books some more" due to some big money lobbying efforts and limited (poor) scientific research...

Re: Zebra Mussels Spread to Lake Lewisville [Re: LHodge] #9743566 02/16/14 10:15 PM
gwl2 Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
I dont guess I understand why everyone is getting so worked up over zebra mussels. It appears to me they have actually benefited the great lakes. The water is cleaner now than it has been in the last 100 years. The fish seem to be thriving. I would say the smallmouth fishery is outstanding right now. It does not seem to have broken down the food chain yet and I really do not see that happening. I think the biologist are getting worked up about the Zebras like they do the hydrilla which in my opinion is the best thing going for a lot of our Texas lakes if the TP&WD would simply leave it alone.

Re: Zebra Mussels Spread to Lake Lewisville [Re: LHodge] #9744460 02/17/14 03:10 AM
D
Duckcreek Davy Offline
TFF Celebrity
TFF Celebrity
D
You might be right gw12.....of course you might be wrong. I'll admit that I don't have a strong inkling one way or the other as to how this will all play out. I will say that so far the effect they have had on Texoma after what 4 or 5 years is negligible. At least my observations point that way. I'm thinking fluctuating lake levels and hot summer temperatures will keep them at bay down here. Sure hope so. Cause draining boats and minner buckets will just be a speed bump to their spread. Let's hope that things like Zequanox which Texasflycaster mentions above will help.He talks about it on his website which is a pretty durn good site by the way. thumb

Dave Morris

"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." --Thomas Jefferson,
Re: Zebra Mussels Spread to Lake Lewisville [Re: LHodge] #9744865 02/17/14 05:06 AM
921 Phoenix Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
the one thing the zebra mussel do is get on the protection in the entrance to pumps and starve the pumps real hard to pump if they are clogged by zebra mussel

Re: Zebra Mussels Spread to Lake Lewisville [Re: LHodge] #9746024 02/17/14 06:51 PM
DaveB Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
Know matter what you all do to try and prevent them from infesting TX lakes isn't gonna work. Just like feral hogs. If you ain't got them now you will. Why waste the money to try and combat them instead of research as to how to control them? I clean my boat and will do what I can, but I am only one fisherman.

Keep on fishing.

Re: Zebra Mussels Spread to Lake Lewisville [Re: LHodge] #9754120 02/20/14 01:35 AM
F
Freeman Clark Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
F
Zebra mussels are like fire ants ,they are here to stay.So live with it.

Re: Zebra Mussels Spread to Lake Lewisville [Re: Wild Bill 1957] #9760826 02/22/14 03:15 AM
W
wrestlefish Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
W
Zebra mussels are invasive species. They got here because mankind has learned how to navigate the world. We have and still do put stuff where it is not suppose to be, sometimes by design, and sometimes by accident. Zebra mussels are not here because of birds, they are here because of us, and they are here to stay. We may be able to slow down the infestations, but as long as people move from here to there, there is no stopping their spread. When we make the conscious choice to not drain or boats and follow the guidlines established, the movement is not by accident, it is by humans being careless, and the pattern of humans being careless with the environment has been well documented since the day we first set foot on this great land. As a population, to think that 100% of people will do as they are suppose to is not realistic. There will always be those that think it is not their problem as it easier to ignore the mandates than take them for what they are. The government should do more right? They haven't done anything about it, right? All they do is tell us what we can do and can't do, right? We don't need a big brother right?

All you have to do is read this thread and you can see that we do need a big brother. These things are bad, but there will always be those that will choose to ignore reality and celebrate the clear water! People, as a population, have always been and always will be ignorant when it comes to our environment. Humans have abused our world to the point that many scientists have pointed out that the world is in the midst of another mass extinction, and the fault lies soley on mankind's shoulders. And like the spread of zebra mussels is hard and maybe impossible to stop, part of the reason for that is because the attitude of our population towards the only world we have will also likely not change. Don't forget about your grandkids. It is our responsibility to take care of this earth for them, but that is the problem. Taking care of our earth often clashes with the economic climate. And the economic climate is also very important. People have and always will sacrifice our environment for the mighty dollar; it is a really tough balance as they often are pitted against each other. The price of human progress has been high when it has come to our environment. Unfortunate, but true.

I get so tired of our people complaining because we are trying to do something about zebra mussels, and complaining about trying to do something about hydrilla. When those conversations happen, it is so evident that all we care about is catching a fish without regard to flood control, drinking water, etc. Believe it or not, we have a lot of people that live in Texas, and for us to thrive requires more than just pulling a bass from a hydrilla mat. There is more going on here than most people realize as most of us have blinders on.

Last edited by wrestlefish; 02/23/14 03:05 PM.
Page 4 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 9 10
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide