Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 11 12
Blue River, OK #9372387 10/05/13 03:05 AM
M
Mateo Clemente Offline OP
Angler
OP Offline
Angler
M
I'm hitting the Blue tomorrow for some native fish on the flyrod. Curious to see what the stream is like before they fill it up with foreigners for the winter.

Any intel?

Report to follow.

Re: Blue River, OK [Re: Mateo Clemente] #9372556 10/05/13 05:12 AM
T
tmds3 Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
T
It is a real nice little river, been twice for the trout. Lots of water to fish. Cant really tell you a lot other than to stop at Scotties for a burger and some incite into the river. All I have ever fished is right around the low water crossing.

Good Luck and post some pics up

Common Sense has become so rare that it should be considered a super power

Re: Blue River, OK [Re: Mateo Clemente] #9372617 10/05/13 10:26 AM
rrhyne56 Offline
TFF Guru
TFF Guru
I believe you'll love it. That's the Blue at its best in my opinion. Wet wading for bream and bass. Loads is spots and smallies in there. Biggest smallie i ever saw came out of a pool right above the low water crossing.

"have fun with this stuff"
in memory of Big Dale
RRhyne56, Flyfishing warden
Re: Blue River, OK [Re: Mateo Clemente] #9373438 10/05/13 06:32 PM
R
Robert Hunter Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
R
Thanks for the invite jerk lol

[Linked Image] [Linked Image] [url=https://postimages.org/][img]https://i.postimg.cc/bsQJFvLj/
Re: Blue River, OK [Re: Mateo Clemente] #9373948 10/05/13 10:51 PM
M
Angler
OP Offline
Angler
M
We did real well. Rained most all day, so never took any pics for y'all. Plenty of bass in there. Robbie, you work when I fish and I work when you fish, one of us is going to have to call in sick!

Re: Blue River, OK [Re: Mateo Clemente] #9374651 10/06/13 05:39 AM
R
Robert Hunter Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
R
I think I can make a Thursday happen. If I read the regulations right y'all could target trout the special regs don't apply yet. Maby someone will chime In on the trout facts on blue river. Wish y'all would have gotten into some smallmouth. Does anyone have any smallie pics from up there? Are they the neosho strain?

[Linked Image] [Linked Image] [url=https://postimages.org/][img]https://i.postimg.cc/bsQJFvLj/
Re: Blue River, OK [Re: Mateo Clemente] #9376016 10/06/13 10:02 PM
D
Doublehaul Offline
Angler
Angler
D
Did you happen to fall on your fundament? The Blue can be pretty slickery this time of year. As far as the Neosha-I think you have to go to the Glover to find those. I could be wrong.

Re: Blue River, OK [Re: Mateo Clemente] #9376057 10/06/13 10:15 PM
D
Doublehaul Offline
Angler
Angler
D

A. Waterfall - A horseshoe shaped waterfall that offers good opportunity for trout. Be careful of the steep and rocky bank. Also, the water flow can be strong depending on recent rains, so plan to adjust your gear appropriately.
B. Hughes Crossing ("Left") - as you approach the crossing from the Parking Area and scan the area to your left, observe the rocky bottom. Note the gaps between the rock formations and where the water deepens. This area will hold trout at times.
C. Hughes Crossing ("Right") - scanning to your right, observe the water flowing over the Crossing and downriver. Note the areas where the "bubbles" are forming most. Work the seams of these areas and the "bubble line". This area will hold trout as well.
D. Waterfall to Hughes Crossing ("Left") - Along this section of the river, note the areas where the water flow slows down and/or the deeper areas. These areas are also good for trout.
E. Downriver from Hughes Crossing ("Right") - observe how the river deepens as it flows from the Crossing to the boulders rising from the water downriver. This area will hold trout. The key is being able to cast to the area and adjusting your rig based on the water flow.
F. Disabled Fishing Access - the area directly in front of this area is strewn with rocks and several boulders. Depending on the water level, they can be easily seen rising from the water. Also, if the water level is too low, trout will tend elsewhere. When fishing this area, a float versus a bottom rig should be considered to reduce lost gear.
G. Sandbar - a favorite staging point for wade fishermen as it provides good access to deeper water (H) and is a prime spot at times for trout!
H. Deeper Water - a pool accessible from the bank as well as from the Sandbar. Bait fishermen tend to do well from the bank while wade fishermen using fishing flies and spinning lures/spoons tend to do well from the Sandbar and the Rocky Shallows.
I. Channel - that runs between the Rocky Shallows and the Island that divides the river in two as it flows downstream. Trout will tend in the Channel and action can be good. Also, if positioned by the Island, access to deeper water (H) as well as the Channel (I) is provided the fisherman.
J. Rocky Creek - past the Island, the river becomes shallow and rocky with a mix of (2'-3' deep) pockets where trout will hold. Good at times as well as frustrating when the trout become lock-jawed. This is made worse when you can see them lurking only a few feet away! Be sure to tread lightly, else the trout will spook.
K. Various Riffles - another shallow run that is rocky making wading tough at times. Also interspersed with riffles that foam with water flowing past. Tread lightly as well; trout lurking nearby will spook!

A guy who works for Oklahoma Fish and Game sent me this-don't think he'd mind if I share it here.

Last edited by Doublehaul; 10/06/13 10:19 PM.
Re: Blue River, OK [Re: Mateo Clemente] #9376744 10/07/13 12:48 AM
M
Angler
OP Offline
Angler
M
Thanks Double. That is some intel right there.

Re: Blue River, OK [Re: Mateo Clemente] #9378816 10/07/13 09:59 PM
T
texasflycaster Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
T
That's a real decent map (because it leaves off the C-n-R area!). Unless the stocking strategy has changed, look for the barrels as a indication of where fresh meat is dumped. That, and the locals.

Re: Blue River, OK [Re: Mateo Clemente] #9380354 10/08/13 02:52 PM
R
Robert Hunter Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
R
Is the c and r area up or downstream of the map?

Re: Blue River, OK [Re: Mateo Clemente] #9380381 10/08/13 03:04 PM
R
RexW Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
R
Upstream.

The shortest hike to the C&R area is to park in the corral parking area and not in the areas shown in this map.

Fly Fishers International certified casting instructor
TFO Rods pro staff
Re: Blue River, OK [Re: RexW] #9396398 10/14/13 01:51 PM
T
texan_fisherman Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
T
Originally Posted By: RexW
Upstream.

The shortest hike to the C&R area is to park in the corral parking area and not in the areas shown in this map.

Yeah, it's probably 5 miles upstream from there.

From the parking corral it's about a mile and a half walk, which is nice for keeping people away. If you have a mountain bike I'd recommend taking it and chaining it to a tree or something to speed up the long walk. The walk TO the river isn't bad, but the walk back kind of sucks after being on the water all day.

Last edited by texan_fisherman; 10/14/13 01:52 PM.
Re: Blue River, OK [Re: Mateo Clemente] #9407190 10/17/13 05:33 PM
F
FishDaddyFrisco Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
F
Glad to see that people are talking about the Blue River on the TFF.
I just discovered it a couple of weeks ago and I'm looking forward to taking my son up in early November once they dump in the retarted trout.
I called and spoke to probably the same guy that map to doublehall (thanks for posting that by the way. great intel).
He said that due to the gov't shutdown he couldn't guarantee the river would be stocked by 11/1 and to call bal the week prior...which I plan to do.
Anyway, I think they stock every 3 weeks on the Blue and just from Novemebr through March. Broken Bow area stocks year-round is is twice as far from my stomping grounds in Frisco.
I also believe they are only stocking rainbows and not Browns, but not 100% certain.

Re: Blue River, OK [Re: FishDaddyFrisco] #9407250 10/17/13 05:51 PM
T
texan_fisherman Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
T
Originally Posted By: FishDaddyFrisco

I called and spoke to probably the same guy that map to doublehall (thanks for posting that by the way. great intel).
He said that due to the gov't shutdown he couldn't guarantee the river would be stocked by 11/1 and to call bal the week prior...which I plan to do.

Blue River is a state run area, not federal. There should be no government shutdown effect.

Anyway, I think they stock every 3 weeks on the Blue and just from Novemebr through March.

Also, as an FYI, I think the C&R area is only stocked twice.

I also believe they are only stocking rainbows and not Browns, but not 100% certain.

There are no browns at Blue River. Lower mountain fork has some, but they are released as fry and allowed to grow instead of putting in full sized fish.
lolwut

Blue River is a state run area, not federal. There should be no government shutdown effect.

Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 11 12
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide