Print Thread
Jackson Kilroy Mini review #9198334 08/05/13 05:15 PM
S
Slingbait Offline OP
Pro Angler
OP Offline
Pro Angler
S
As I mentioned in an earlier post I was going to test one out this past weekend. I am by no means an expert kayaker but I hope my views maybe helpful to anyone looking at buying one.
I have a Big Tuna and its my first kayak so besides short paddles in a few others its the only kayak I can compare the Kilroy to. Sunday I went over to Kayak instruct at Paddle Point Park. I had spoken with Dave Holl about wanting to try one out and as always Dave was very helpful in getting me set up in one. I would also like to mention Mark Palovik, he offered me his kilroy when he saw I was interested in them. Lots of great guys on the KI pro team. My wife was with me in her Cruise and she is who I normally fish or kayak with so it was a apples to apple test run.
Okay on to the Review. I brought what I normally take with me even my fishfinder. The layout is pretty cool. I had no trouble mounting the finder and pole holder in the slide track that is already on it. The drawer in the lid is full size I thought it was a 3500 but its a 3600 cool! I had no trouble storing my rods along the sides and my extra tackle also. The battery fit in the front and the cords went under the dash cover with no problem. I put the seat in the high position and had plenty of leg room. I stepped in the same as I do the Tuna and it was very stable. It moves a little more because of the weight difference. By the way I picked it up and carried it to the water by myself I liked that. After I sat down and started paddling I found I could keep up with my wife no problem. My gps said I was averaging about 2.5 mph at a stroke that I could maintain for quite awhile. We fished a few spots with no luck but wasn't really prepared to fish so much as I was wanting to try out the Kilroy. I found it easy to reach all my stuff and get my poles in and out pretty easy. Using the dash is handy for holding extra lures when changing out. On the way back in I put out a rod to troll and paddled along at 2.5 mph no problem I think they done a great job building it. I think there is plenty of room for making it a little custom if you wanted, Being a sit in opens up doing anything you want with out the ship in a bottle you have to deal with on a SOT. Okay for the bad things. There really is very little bad I can say about it. The cockpit was a little tight not in a claustrophobic way just wished it had a little more room on the sides of the seat not a big deal. I could put the reel end of the pole by my feet and lay the pole back beside the seat no problem. The only real issue I had was if you turtle it there is no saving yourself. I watched a video and even asked the guy if he staged it and he sai dno. I think he is not being truthful. When I got back to the park I unloaded all my stuff and then stood up in it and paddled out to deeper water I will say this I am was surprised at how easy it was to stand and paddle it. I even turned around in it. It took a lot to turn it over. I think I am in average shape for a kayak fisherman so I think it was a fair test. I had on a good Stolquist PFD shorts and my water shoes. I could not get back in it. Maybe if I had bailed it out first I should have tried that. I may go by and try it sometime. Over all the Kilroy was fantastic. Light, comfortable and easy to paddle.
I hope this info helps any questions feel free to ask me.

Re: Jackson Kilroy Mini review [Re: Slingbait] #9199086 08/05/13 08:14 PM
T
texas_online Offline
Green Horn
Green Horn
T
i wanted to buy it for my first kayak, but when with ascend 12 from bass pro, ill probably be upgrading it soon thank you for the write up. Do you carry some of your gear when carrying the kayak as well?

Re: Jackson Kilroy Mini review [Re: texas_online] #9199170 08/05/13 08:33 PM
L
lconn4 Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
L
"The only real issue I had was if you turtle it there is no saving yourself."

No kidding! rolfmao

A good rule of angling philosophy is not to interfere with another fisherman's ways of being happy, unless you want to be hated.
Zane Grey, Tales of Fishes, 1919

https://vimeo.com/73372194
https://vimeo.com/72859045

Re: Jackson Kilroy Mini review [Re: Slingbait] #9199252 08/05/13 08:54 PM
S
Slingbait Offline OP
Pro Angler
OP Offline
Pro Angler
S
texas_online- I did not have any gear in it when I carried it. You would need help or a cart to do that.
Iconn4- Here is the misleading video I saw. It is not from Jackson but somebody that sells them I guess. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4jjGEo5PcWY

I am wondering if you bailed it out if you could get in somehow.

Re: Jackson Kilroy Mini review [Re: Slingbait] #9199347 08/05/13 09:13 PM
Y
Yak FinAddic Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
Y
Hey Slingbait I am not sure if will be much faster than the tuna but Jackson will have the Big Rig available soon...

Re: Jackson Kilroy Mini review [Re: Slingbait] #9199557 08/05/13 10:06 PM
D
DblNoob Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
D
I paddle a WS Pungo SINK, and cannot say enough about the benefits of a kayak paddling/safety class and practice. With training and practice a person can get back into any floating kayak in case of turtling. There is definately a technique to do so, and I have seen people get back into a variety of sea and touring kayaks, which are increadibly unstable, which judging from the video is not the case with the Kilroy. But admittedly, it is far easier to get back on a SOT kayak than it is to get back in to a SINK, but believe me, with training and/or practice it can definately be done.

Re: Jackson Kilroy Mini review [Re: Slingbait] #9200040 08/06/13 12:11 AM
L
lconn4 Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
L
Jackson makes some great kayaks, and most for specific type waters. I'm more a Cuda guy with the self bailing and the all around type waters and conditions it can be used in.

A good rule of angling philosophy is not to interfere with another fisherman's ways of being happy, unless you want to be hated.
Zane Grey, Tales of Fishes, 1919

https://vimeo.com/73372194
https://vimeo.com/72859045

Re: Jackson Kilroy Mini review [Re: Slingbait] #9200876 08/06/13 03:08 AM
T
Txwhitacre Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
T
I have 2 cudas a d the Kilroy. I've been loving this Kilroy alot. I use it I. Rough conditions but for the small lakes I e been on its a blast. I like putting gear and ice chest under the front hood out of the sun. There could but a bit more room betweent the chair and the side but it works.

It's just easy fishing in this boat.

Last edited by Txwhitacre; 08/06/13 12:35 PM.
Re: Jackson Kilroy Mini review [Re: Yak FinAddic] #9200952 08/06/13 03:28 AM
S
Slingbait Offline OP
Pro Angler
OP Offline
Pro Angler
S
Originally Posted By: Yak FinAddic
Hey Slingbait I am not sure if will be much faster than the tuna but Jackson will have the Big Rig available soon...

I am looking forward to it. Right now I am thinking a cruise or a slayer. Has anyone paddled a big rig yet?

Re: Jackson Kilroy Mini review [Re: Slingbait] #9201116 08/06/13 04:20 AM
J
Just Fish Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
J
Originally Posted By: Slingbait
Originally Posted By: Yak FinAddic

I am looking forward to it. Right now I am thinking a cruise or a slayer. Has anyone paddled a big rig yet?

The Big Rig won't be out for awhile so the only people to paddle it were at OR for demo day.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JB0y4rR3u...mp;feature=plcp

Re: Jackson Kilroy Mini review [Re: Slingbait] #9202722 08/06/13 06:10 PM
S
Santa Cruz Kayaks Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
S
I thought it waw great that Jackson came out with a sit in model. Though a bit surprised, considering how popular the SOT's are for fishing.
As long as there's no concern of a large wake or heavy chop flooding the cockpit, Sit In's are great. Except for when launching in the surf zone, I still prefer fishing from my Sit In model over the SOT. I find the sit in much more comfortable with less chance of losing gear. I can even take a nap OTW while in the Sit In... not so easy from the SOT.

Speed wise, 2.5 mph seems relatively slow. I wonder what sort of top end speed you could get ?

A lot of people have tried to roll a Raptor, none have managed. This is a short video showing how easy a self rescue is.. Floatation bags are installed, after climbing back in, a bilge pump could easily empty the rest of the water.
What is unique, is the shape of the cockpit empties most of the water just by flipping it back upright.

This is Pacific ocean waters,,, It's cold winter, so I'm wearing a drysuit in this video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U-PpcRNEgS0

Santa Cruz Kayaks
Re: Jackson Kilroy Mini review [Re: Santa Cruz Kayaks] #9202863 08/06/13 06:45 PM
S
Slingbait Offline OP
Pro Angler
OP Offline
Pro Angler
S
Raptorman- Thanks for the video link. I need to take a look at those Raptors for sure. The 2.5 was a relaxing pace that my wife normally paddles at I should have tested to see what kind of speed it had if pushing it a little. It was much faster than the Tuna. I also wished I had bailed it and used a paddle float. I think I am gonna retest it when I get a chance. I agree with you that a sit in is much more comfortable for relaxing and keeping your stuff organised. Is there a retailer of Santa Cruz in the North Dallas area?

Re: Jackson Kilroy Mini review [Re: Just Fish] #9202881 08/06/13 06:50 PM
S
Slingbait Offline OP
Pro Angler
OP Offline
Pro Angler
S
I just spoke with them at Jackson and they said December on the Big Rig. They also said that it was inspired by guys who use the Big Tuna for fishing and wanted a little faster and solo designed kayak so I hope it is faster, it is a much better layout.

Re: Jackson Kilroy Mini review [Re: Slingbait] #9205167 08/07/13 07:44 AM
S
Santa Cruz Kayaks Offline
Outdoorsman
Outdoorsman
S
Slingbait
FunNSun Boats @ Hurst has the SOT's in Stock, but not the Sit In's... Maybe Granbury store too, I'm not sure. Thanks!

Santa Cruz Kayaks
Re: Jackson Kilroy Mini review [Re: Slingbait] #11504932 03/28/16 02:04 AM
W
Warhawk Offline
Angler
Angler
W
Have any of you owned both a Coosa and a Kilroy? I have a Coosa and want a little more, tracking, stability and speed.

Actually I would buy the Tripper 12, which is the Kilroy without the fishing features. Then I'll outfit it myself the way I want it. The Tripper is $999 while the Kilroy is $1449. I can do a lot with $450.

Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide