Forums59
Topics1,040,654
Posts13,985,104
Members144,241
Most Online39,925
Dec 30th, 2023
Print Thread
Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Re: Robert Field's Epic Adventure and Near Death Encounters [Re: cuban] #9122215 07/12/13 02:57 PM
Y
YakFishField Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
Y
Probably not, just in the interest of keeping the videos to a manageable length. Maybe I will follow up with some videos like that. Shoot me a PM if you're wanting info on wire leaders for the toothy critters and I can share a couple good guides that I used. The shark leaders are easy, I can explain those to you if you want.

Robert Field

www.yakfish.tv

Subscribe to my YouTube: www.youtube.com/YakFishField
Re: Robert Field's Epic Adventure and Near Death Encounters [Re: PayneFish] #9122252 07/12/13 03:07 PM
C
cuban Offline
Angler
Angler
C
Cool will do thanks

Re: Robert Field's Epic Adventure and Near Death Encounters [Re: PayneFish] #9122372 07/12/13 03:40 PM
P
PatchesMark Offline
Angler
Angler
P
Hey Bobby, I am ready for the videos, have the popcorn & soda pop ready ! (and the mental notepad) popcorn

Take someone fishing and make them smile smile
Re: Robert Field's Epic Adventure and Near Death Encounters [Re: AcousticTennis] #9123617 07/12/13 09:23 PM
L
lconn4 Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
L
Originally Posted By: AcousticTennis
Originally Posted By: lconn4
Do you know which fish have teeth without seeing them, do you know what species are poisonous?

If you can see teeth..assume it has teeth...always assume teeth out there...

Do you know what your doing with that gaff?
Thats a good one! Everybody please practice with a gaff BEFORE you go offshore and try to use it...seriously. I almost gaffed a hole in my kayak the first time i use one.

Are you sure that fish is ready to be landed?

Never bring a green fish in unless sharks are around. I would rather force a green fish in the kayak then let it get bit by a shark and have blood in the water around you...take a billy stick with you and hang on..

Are you going to stow that kingfish in way that its mouth is near your family jewels or where it can take off your exposed toes?

Those teeth are sharp and they throw their head with speed...one slip and it will take your thumb off...happened in florida to a buddy of mine..boat had to take him to shore and save it...

Are you going to lift it up for the hero shot only to have it slip out of your hands flapping as hook buries into your flesh, causing you to loose balance and fall out of kayak.

always always always take the hooks out before you bring the fish into the kayak...put everything alway before you hero shot or even bring the fish into the kayak...and always carry wire cutters on you

One of my biggest pet peeves, what the hell are folks doing trolling with TWO rods. Do you realize how silly that is or more importantly what can go wrong.

I did this and had a lot of tangle problems...that was with mono..braid would be horrific...i have yet to run into a problem other than tangling with two rods...please let me know of something that can happen so i am prepared in-case i ever run into this...

Have you ever had a fish hit so hard it backlashed a baitcaster? yes...the line will break or hook will bend...it happened with a big king sideways with 40lb line...i was never in danger of flipping..however with a bigger fish this is certainly a BIG possiblity

Have you ever had the drag set to tight?

Recently with the tarpon i locked the drag and was VERY close to flipping sideways when i got on top of it and it would turn..i DO NOT recommend locking your drag down...however that giant fish was the only one to ever force me to lock my drag...

-------------------------------

Glad you responded AcousticTennis, I've always enjoyed reading your posts ever since you first started posting on TKF. thumb As far as the problems with fishing two or more rods, tangling is obviously something you have already encountered and with the heavier lines that are being used, 20 lbs and up, whether mono or braid, the damage it can do to human skin is scary. With the schooling of many offshore species its unusual when you aren't dealing with double hookups when fish are blasting bait on top. Equipment failure is much more common in the salt as well, no doubt caused by going through the surf and having reels drenched in salt and sand much more than we like. Reels that seem to work fine starting out the day are spitting, sputtering, grinding and even locking up after drying out in the hot sun all day. Personally I would rather have to deal with one fish at a time. One good battle is all I ever hoped for offshore. Light tackle, 200 yards of line and hopes that I'd have to start chasing it with paddle in hand from the start. Tangled lines with big fish on one or both rods, not being able to land either as quickly, not giving either rod my full attention or not realizing you are even tangled until one fish is close to boat all increase the chances of problems and losing one or both fish. Always wanted my rod in my hands to feel the strike. Don't get me wrong trolling around is fine but pulling two big baits with a paddle craft is work. Bottom fishing never appealed to me. Hands that have been wet all day and trying to break heavy line from a kayak is not fun in calm conditons, much less when you're listening for the sounds of the first breaking wave.

I did have a couple of questions for you. The first time I saw one of your posts, I thought your screen name was AcushnetTennis and that you were an avid golfer and tennis player. rolfmao How'd you get the name AcousticTennis? And about that great tarpon ride, did it ever jump on the strike?

A good rule of angling philosophy is not to interfere with another fisherman's ways of being happy, unless you want to be hated.
Zane Grey, Tales of Fishes, 1919

https://vimeo.com/73372194
https://vimeo.com/72859045

Re: Robert Field's Epic Adventure and Near Death Encounters [Re: lconn4] #9124930 07/13/13 07:15 AM
A
AcousticTennis Offline
Angler
Angler
A
I hear ya! I have been considering adding the level wind back on the reels simply so i can reel in the other line quickly while the fish steals drag on the other rod...

I did have a couple of questions for you. The first time I saw one of your posts, I thought your screen name was AcushnetTennis and that you were an avid golfer and tennis player. rolfmao How'd you get the name AcousticTennis?

Honestly i didnt know i would be into fishing that much when i started posting on Team Oso 3 years ago...

I had played tennis in college and i would take my guitar down to the jetties to fish...seemed like a easy name that i wouldnt forget my log in info for....turns out A/T makes for a catchy name

And let the record show i was a avid golfer for a while wink my blood pressure has likely plummeted since i last hit...no sport has ever made me as angry

And about that great tarpon ride, did it ever jump on the strike? I have the first "jump" on video and sadly no...it just broke the surface..i honestly think the fish couldnt manage a jump due to its size...other tarpon ive seen caught are skinnier in size than the one i managed to hook..this beast was thick and obese....

sorry for the thread jack grin

Last edited by AcousticTennis; 07/13/13 07:16 AM.
Re: Robert Field's Epic Adventure and Near Death Encounters [Re: AcousticTennis] #9125019 07/13/13 10:58 AM
readtrio Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Glad your ok. I for one am glad you share your experiences with all of us here, thats the best way for us to learn the right and wrong way to do things. And keep it up with your videos, my son and I really enjoy them!! thumb

I never realized there were so many jackasses in the kayak section of these forums. Kinda blows my mind, I thought everyone was pretty easy going and cool here. Can't say that much for some of the other sections of these forums.

Re: Robert Field's Epic Adventure and Near Death Encounters [Re: readtrio] #9125165 07/13/13 01:10 PM
S
Striper Lifer Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
S
Originally Posted By: readtrio
Glad your ok.....

I never realized there were so many jackasses in the kayak section of these forums. Kinda blows my mind, I thought everyone was pretty easy going and cool here. Can't say that much for some of the other sections of these forums.

My brother!

Jonah 4:2
I knew that You are a gracious and compassionate God, slow to anger and abundant in lovingkindness, and one who relents concerning calamity.
Re: Robert Field's Epic Adventure and Near Death Encounters [Re: PayneFish] #9125861 07/13/13 05:53 PM
S
Sunup Offline
TFF Team Angler
TFF Team Angler
S
If you are kind, people may accuse you of selfish, ulterior motives; be kind anyway.
If you are successful, you will win some false friends and true enemies; succeed anyway.
If you are honest and frank, people may cheat you; be honest and frank anyway.
If you find serenity and happiness, they may be jealous; be happy anyway.
The good you do today, people will often forget tomorrow; do good anyway
You see, in the final analysis, it is between you and God; it was never between you and them anyway.
Mother Teresa
We all just want you to have fun be safe.

Last edited by ChugR; 07/13/13 06:09 PM.
Re: Robert Field's Epic Adventure and Near Death Encounters [Re: PayneFish] #9126427 07/13/13 10:37 PM
Y
YakFishField Offline
Extreme Angler
Extreme Angler
Y
Thanks for the support fellas. What are the kids saying nowadays...

Haters gon' hate! rolfmao

(Yes I realize the irony of me talking about what the "kids" are saying nowadays... haha)

Robert Field

www.yakfish.tv

Subscribe to my YouTube: www.youtube.com/YakFishField
Re: Robert Field's Epic Adventure and Near Death Encounters [Re: YakFishField] #9127583 07/14/13 06:21 AM
L
lconn4 Online Content
TFF Guru
Online Content
TFF Guru
L
Originally Posted By: YAK'N AGGIE

(Yes I realize the irony of me talking about what the "kids" are saying nowadays... haha)

Don't hate the player, hate the game! rolfmao

A good rule of angling philosophy is not to interfere with another fisherman's ways of being happy, unless you want to be hated.
Zane Grey, Tales of Fishes, 1919

https://vimeo.com/73372194
https://vimeo.com/72859045

Re: Robert Field's Epic Adventure and Near Death Encounters [Re: YakFishField] #9127744 07/14/13 11:57 AM
Pop1655 Offline
Pro Angler
Pro Angler
Originally Posted By: YAK'N AGGIE

I respect you for sharing it.
Others will surely benefit from reading about your adventures.
You probably saved a few lives doing so and thankfully we'll never know about it.

Whoop

Last edited by Pop1655; 07/14/13 12:00 PM.

Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Previous Thread
Index
Next Thread

© 1998-2022 OUTDOOR SITES NETWORK all rights reserved USA and Worldwide